Shooting in bad weather...yes or no?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaykaysea

Favourite topic of conversation for us Brits, the weather, and inspired by Lord Pewsey aka Father Tony (and Teepee) I just wondered what people thought....

Better to go shooting and do badly, or better to stay at home in the warm?

Do you mind wind, rain, cold, fog or bright sunshine?

And what if a big competition is on a day when the weather is not to your liking, how does that affect you?

Just wondered....

Jkc xx

I will invite a barrage of abuse no doubt, but I dodge the bad weather. I shot a good score in nasty rain last week, so it's not that (although I have been known to can it due to high winds). It's more that I just don't like being cold and wet, or soaking the gun.

My biggest 'issue' with booking in to shoots weeks beforehand is the weather risk. I shot the EO or BO at Southern Counties a few years ago. Miserable soaking mud bath. Half my squad had quit before the end. If it had been a normal reg shoot I would simply have looked out of the window and canned it, but I had already paid for hotel and entry fee; plus meeting mates in squad.

What we need is a shoot in somewhere like Dubai.

I'd have to be feeling unwell too to let rain stop me from having a shoot but agree it can affect scores and your enjoyment. Mild, cloudy suits me better than warm and sunny though.

The reason I love this sport so much is that you can do it in all weather, so nothing much really deters me. :crazy: :crazy:

+1 Hamster.

And you have to be able to shoot in everything.

For preference.....I like cool but with sun.

But then for us trappies the sun should be behind us :wink:

Game shoot in any weather....you have to...no choice. But, prefer windy crisp day with no sun.

Last edited:
Southdown - brutal in a wind and rain, especially the valley area.

Hornet can  be cold and windy even when it's summer elsewhere.

But I'm in the same camp as Hamster - it would take quite a lot to deter me. 

If I got to shoot twice a month, then any weather would be tolerated. But as there seem to be about 7 reg shoots on my monthly map, plus 'winter challenges' around presently, I feel I can afford to dodge the occasional aquatic experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
drenching rain is a no-no, along with very high winds,, and fog! all occur in SA,, and for fitasc sporting, you need to at least see the target, and the moaners will insist on the same trajectory of target,,even if the wind pushes a clay 40yards offline!

Go shooting and get wet, or stay at home and end up doing jobs??.... Get cold and wet everytime for me!! And at least if the score is bad I have an excuse, or if the score is good I can be very pleased with myself!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a "skinny rat" I feel the cold intensely so I try not to shoot then if pos', not too keen on rain either.... :hunter:

So what happens when you have entered the British Open and on your day it is chucking it! Get out and shoot, buy the right weather proof clothes and go shooting...

So what happens when you have entered the British Open and on your day it is chucking it! Get out and shoot, buy the right weather proof clothes and go shooting...
I did. It was miserable. I spent about 2 hours cleaning 'the right kit' when I got home.

only shot in light drizzle so far but I think that might change tomorrow.... I'm used to playing rugby in all weather conditions so the cold and wet doesn't bother me too much.

If you use Clenzoil rain drips off. Then give it a good air dry at home....and when it is dry apply Clenzoil again.

It increases protection each time.

If it is really chucking it down I use one of their wipes over the barrel and action....before I go out. Job sorted.

Perazzis do not like rain.....but they just have to learn.

What Nic says... Clenzoil (available in my new fangled shop)

I also keep a roll of heavy duty kitchen roll in the car -I can use it to dry the gun off in between parcours or stands - and also to give the gun a good dry before I set off for home (and me, and glasses!)

Yes, always dry the gun before going home. My mate chucked his SO5 in a wet slip and left it for a week. EXPENSIVE faux pas..

Latest posts

Back