Rabbit no birds

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoR

So a rabbit goes along the ground......and you have to shoot it before the boundary marker if there is one. The ref should point this out, now if it was a clay in the air and severely deviated from its normal path it would be a no bird, correct? So a rabbit thrown along the ground bounces up in the air severely would that be a no bird, never repeated over ten shooters and I don't just mean a little jump I mean a 3' bounce? It didn't matter in the end but sparked a debate for the rest of the round.

Silence the competition.......

www.proshock.co.uk

Never had a rabbit called 'no bird' because it bounced no matter how high it jumped.

Have seen some set up so they hit a ramp to make them jump.

Bouncing rabbits are fab....and legal.....and great fun.....and easier to hit....true story...!

In my opinion, as an ex-CPSA English Sporting Ref. I would call it a no-bird as it significantly deviated from the expected path of the other targets. Others I know would allow this as it would be subjective as to how much deviation would be incorrect.

My reasoning would be that a bouncing target is generally thought to be easier as it has significantly slowed down, even though it has suddenly taken an unexpected turn, which in turn may increase it's difficulty to some shooters. And I'm a strict referee and I want the same for everybody.

However, in less serious competition, it's Sporting so anything (Safe) goes!  :biggrin:

I have never seen a ref call a no-bird for bouncing. When it breaks, or comes out stupidly slowly, yes. But you need to accept that they can be horrible. Agreed, bouncers are easier sometimes, but NOT if they bounce at the very moment you shoot. This is lottery time.

Watch the shooter before you and find where the rabbit behaves best. Often there is a point where they jump and it can be worth letting it go past there..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a ref call a no-bird for bouncing. When it breaks, or comes out stupidly slowly, yes. But you need to accept that they can be horrible. Agreed, bouncers are easier sometimes, but NOT if they bounce at the very moment you shoot. This is lottery time.

Watch the shooter before you and find where the rabbit behaves best. Often there is a point where they jump and it can be worth letting it go past there..
Very honorable of you to declare it as "Target Lost" when I would have let you have pair again!  Now that's Sporting!

Maybe not I think??  :biggrin:

If it bounced before you shot, or even on the B of the Bang it would be no bird from me. I think that's fair, don't you?

I hate lotteries. Only undeserving people seem to win!!  :biggrin:

Very honorable of you to declare it as "Target Lost" when I would have let you have pair again!  Now that's Sporting!

Maybe not I think??  :biggrin:

If it bounced before you shot, or even on the B of the Bang it would be no bird from me. I think that's fair, don't you?

I hate lotteries. Only undeserving people seem to win!!  :biggrin:
I think you are totally fair and right. But you are a lone voice in my experience..

Never seen a bounce called as no bird and personally wouldn't expect it. It is the one target you should accept you will have a good and a bad bird. Otherwise where do you draw the. Line..?

Stand 9 today at Northampton ed, right to left orange std and left to right rabbit, the bounce cleared most of the run into the bushes...all the shooters before and after never had a bounce? Like I say not a slight deflection...... I wonder if a rabbit hit the boundary I.e. The cone and returned into the kill zone would you be able to shoot it and count?

www.proshock.co.uk

I vote for pink rabbits....that is where I would draw the line......

One would expect a rabbit to jump....they are always jumping.....

I vote for pink rabbits....that is where I would draw the line......
One would expect a rabbit to jump....they are always jumping.....
Duracell pink wabbits nic I'll go with that......

www.proshock.co.uk

Stand 9 today at Northampton ed, right to left orange std and left to right rabbit, the bounce cleared most of the run into the bushes...all the shooters before and after never had a bounce? Like I say not a slight deflection...... I wonder if a rabbit hit the boundary I.e. The cone and returned into the kill zone would you be able to shoot it and count?Silence the competition.......www.proshock.co.uk
I know the one mate. That's part if the game sadly, someone had a couple jumps, some didn't. I had one but got away with it (just). As long as its the right side of the boundary- fair game!

I know the one mate. That's part if the game sadly, someone had a couple jumps, some didn't. I had one but got away with it (just). As long as its the right side of the boundary- fair game!
Are we still talking about shooting ????

I shot at Barrow Heath today and stand 12 was rabbits on report and had a rather large bouncer crossing but wouldn't ever expect a 'no bird'!

After I missed the first one I made sure I focused even harder and fortunately hit the rest mid air, ha!

As everybody knows yesterday was pretty windy so if a clay deviates from its normal path because of a gust of wind is that a no bird in the same way that a jumping rabbit is a no bird ? Certainly none were called as no birds yesterday.

This is one of the reasons I don't shoot Sporting (as well as the mud), there's no equity in competition. One guy gets a target that rolls straight and true, another gets a target that jumps 2 feet, slows and veers to the left.

If 'no birds' aren't going to be given then it makes a mockery of the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
sor having been there i can say it was fair the  guy shot at it and missed end of . but like you say never mattered in the end he was well out of our league !!!!!

Back