Proposed new Sporting clays classification system

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Will, it looks like you put a lot of thought into this, after reading it through I can see no downside to your idea. Good luck with it.

Will, I personally don't think i/we need protecting from the registered shooters.

The people that we need protecting from are the people that turn up at the indepenent shoots with the low class entry(via 3 cpsa scores), that are very good shots, and no matter what you put in place we will never stop that,no matter how low you put the bottom class bracket because they will always shoot what they have to.
I see your point , I thought making CPSA membership compulsory might eliminate this type of abuse,,,, obviously not, when you think about it !.

don`t know what the answer is,, if there is one.

human nature to cheat, somehow. 

Will`s idea  is about as good as any other,,,,

As i said earlier all you need is random cut off "DATES" 3 months this one, 5 months the next one, 4 months the next one and so on, this gives those that want shorter classification periods what they want, and true current form, not knowing when the cut off date willl be your scores will all ready be in, they just announce, say in May that your new classification will be on scores from Feb through to April, next one may be from April through August, and so on, no manipulation, and a random cross section of where the shooter is shooting, or the shoot was won on 99 or 79, random from whatever the shooter has been doing through that period, could even get reclassified between any of the majors at anytime, so simple its unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just imagine shooting the shootclay cup one month and winning your class, have a random classification and have to shoot the Gamebore 1 or 2 classes higher....haha..... there would be a few people shouting w8nkers then, that they have been reclassified  :haha:   

Instead of random cutoff could you not just use the last six months scores idea, but reissue classifications monthly. With a month between the 6 month worth of scores used and the new classification being issued.  This allows grounds to get scores/percentages in like the current system does.

right here we go , talking on here aint going to change anything as some strong minded people have all valid points , so will lets come up with a date , i will put a shoot on with good targets and lets see how it pans out in practice , you never know , some said a shoot with three birds in the air at once would never work or a flush incorporated , well it made the shooters laugh !!!

Steve you always put shoots on with good targets :)

Would be interesting though to see what happens!

The only way you can stop the true bandit is to have a rule at every shoot, registered or open, that the organisers reserve the right to reclassify shooters based on an undisclosed number of the targets shot at unknown stands based on their performance in the competition on that day.

This already happens in target shooting and is usually harsher in that an unclassified competitor has to shoot in the highest class ie AA or AAA.

I wouldn't say it's brilliant - only because his head doesn't need to get any bigger...  :haha:

But it does seem to be a very good system.

Well done, Mr. Hewland.

And good on you Steve for stumping up.

Gotta try something new, something different, or the whiners/bashers will NEVER shut up!  :biggrin:

right here we go , talking on here aint going to change anything as some strong minded people have all valid points , so will lets come up with a date , i will put a shoot on with good targets and lets see how it pans out in practice , you never know , some said a shoot with three birds in the air at once would never work or a flush incorporated , well it made the shooters laugh !!!
Difficulty of a course isn't taken into account at the moment. If Will's system was put into action, you could set as hard or easy course as you like and it still won't affect averages negatively.
I'm all for it, though recently I've found myself focusing on my average. I know that following averages isn't everyone's thing, most go out to break clays, so making a course too testing because it no longer matters could start to affect your entries.

The alternative system would put what would have been a disaster under the current one (such as EJC's recent comp) into perspective for a lot of shooters.

Difficulty of a course isn't taken into account at the moment. If Will's system was put into action, you could set as hard or easy course as you like and it still won't affect averages negatively.

I'm all for it, though recently I've found myself focusing on my average. I know that following averages isn't everyone's thing, most go out to break clays, so making a course too testing because it no longer matters could start to affect your entries.

The alternative system would put what would have been a disaster under the current one (such as EJC's recent comp) into perspective for a lot of shooters.
A spot on post.

I still think that if my system ever became adopted, folk would still like to hit some clays, so shoots where HG was 79 would be unpopular. It may be that after a long time, people stopped thinking about number of clays hit, but this could be many years..

You have to think about the amount of clays hit.

Other wise there's no point to the game.
Well, clearly it is always number of clays hit. My system is all about appreciating the number hit compared to everybody else that day, not the number hit against a UK system, which presently, means that if you shoot a tough event, your score is directly compared to somebody shooting a soft event elsewhere. THAT is the element I hope to nullify.

Back