Pads in vests

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damo

Hi.

Quick question.  Has anybody used recoil pads  in their shooting vests e,g: - Musto, Beretta, Browning.  If so are they any good?

Regards

Damon

I've got the musto one in one of my vests. I think I paid £10; I wouldn't pay any more than that as it doesn't seem to do too much.

Hi.

Quick question.  Has anybody used recoil pads  in their shooting vests e,g: - Musto, Beretta, Browning.  If so are they any good?

Regards

Damon
I've got a Musto one which came with their skeet vest. It sits inside one of the cubby holes in the boot of the car and has never been used, bearing in mind I have all sorts of recoil stuff on my gun  :)  it ought to show you how much confidence I have in their effectiveness.  :lol:

I use Musto in my game vest which makes a difference as my usual game gun has no recoil pad just solid wood, my beretta skeet vest has one fitted and it does make a difference to me but my clay gun has a micro pore pad and I am susceptible to recoil, may not make a difference to less recoil sensitive people or those that have real systems fitted.

Thanks for the replies.

the reason I posed the question is that I am soon to return to shooting after a long lay of due to a fractured collar bone that needed plating and bone grafting (End Mrch 2015).  I have followed the advice from the guys at recoil systems and had a 23 ml X pad fitted and was thinking weather this might also help. 

Damon

PS full recoil system not an option as I have already had stock shortend and adjustable comb fitted prior to injury

Start off with 21 or 24g cartridges. A couple of the blokes I shoot with use 'em to ease the recoil and compared to 28's they are really light. Doesn't really seem to make a lot of difference to their scores either. Hits are still hits at club level targets.

Start off with 21 or 24g cartridges. A couple of the blokes I shoot with use 'em to ease the recoil and compared to 28's they are really light. Doesn't really seem to make a lot of difference to their scores either. Hits are still hits at club level targets.
Thanks for that.

will give a go next month. Return to shooting has been delayed even further as 3 weeks ago my appendix decided it wanted  to leave my being.

regards

Damon

Like nimbus said try a few 24g shells, if you can get these in 8's even better as the shot count isn't that different to something like a 28g 7.5's which are 'generally' regarded as the 'standard' clay shell. 

I've always used a recoil pad in my beretta best basically because it came with the vest. Not sure how much difference it actually makes but I've carried on using it nonetheless and in my head I 'think' it helps. 

Ive got double frozen shoulder which isn't nice, so I'm keen to keep recoil down to a minimum. However I personally shoot 28g Clever T2 which are really soft in my experience. 

when I started shooting I had a pad that didn't fit into the skeet vest but it had straps etc that you done up so it could be worn with anything, ie over a t-shirt or under a coat.  As I have boobs I found it uncomfortable so I cut the straps off and sewed it into the vest.  It was quite thick and padded and did do the job, unlike the ones I've seen that you can buy to fit into the pockets in the vests.  

Otherwise, 21 or 24 gram shells will be soft on the shoulder.  Good luck!

Try Hull Comp X in 24 or 21 gram to begin with, get your confidence back and then bum some 28's off your shooting mates to compare the recoil difference. You may decide to stay with the 24's. As has already been said, it makes no difference to target breaks. I have shot thousands of Express 24 grams over many years and never felt 'undergunned' !

Cheers for all your advice.  Will report back with the results.

Damon

Try Hull Comp X in 24 or 21 gram to begin with, get your confidence back and then bum some 28's off your shooting mates to compare the recoil difference. You may decide to stay with the 24's. As has already been said, it makes no difference to target breaks. I have shot thousands of Express 24 grams over many years and never felt 'undergunned' !
Yes Wes, to be honest I don't believe there is truly any need to go beyond 24grm these days! They are used for OT as we know, so if they work for that, I cant see why they wont work for just about anything! Yesterday I shot a bit of dtl using Fiocchi Golden Trap 24's, certainly mangled the clays and recoil was exceptionally low too.

yep modern 24g will do anything with added bonus of low muzzle flip and recoil.

Back