orange clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Hopkins

Never really found orange clays a problem until this weekend shooting Greenfields a left to right rabbit ten yards or so try as I might I just could not maintain focus leading to shoot and hope tactics needless to say I dropped all five card wrecked time to move on last stand with a fast battue forty yards out then an orange left to right crosser thirty yards out low and behold same problem another five dropped just could not focus or lock onto the bird at all, my eyesight is very good although I am red green colour blind but never found this to be an issue any ideas greatly received.

A good one for ed lyons me thinks shaun, what spex do you wear I have hidef max orange for skeet when there thrown in orange obviously. They seem massive when there enhanced

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shaun,

That rabbit was close but very fast which caused it to look more like a blur, most people who shot it well tended to nail it just before it got near the wood to give their eyes a chance to lock onto it. I find it helps if I shoot low and nearasdamit at it with this type of rabbit.

Regarding the second orange bird you mention I'd say you must have been in front since you describe it as a crosser, it was defo a quartering away and I too had trouble seeing it well early on which is why my break point was much closer to 40 yards with a small gap lead........still managed to miss one in front !

Hi Shaun,

That rabbit was close but very fast which caused it to look more like a blur, most people who shot it well tended to nail it just before it got near the wood to give their eyes a chance to lock onto it. I find it helps if I shoot low and nearasdamit at it with this type of rabbit.

Regarding the second orange bird you mention I'd say you must have been in front since you describe it as a crosser, it was defo a quartering away and I too had trouble seeing it well early on which is why my break point was much closer to 40 yards with a small gap lead........still managed to miss one in front !
Hello Hamid,
Never really felt it was a technique problem as I spoke to you in the club house about not rushing especially on the sim pairs making sure I always give myself time to lock on to the bird for a nano sec,the rabbits were close and the crosser sort of quartering would usually be no problem it was purely a visual problem it was like trying to shoot blind drunk hopefully it will be a matter of wearing the correct glasses in future I do have orange hidefspexs so will give them a go next week, Sporting targets Risley. p.s well shot Hamid.

There is currently a debate on shotgunworld about the outrageous price of Pilla ( not me moaning by the way)

It appears that Oakley & Ranger are equally as good but considerably cheaper. Also apparently old people such as Ed Lyons, Adam Gutteridge etc., need special lenses to allow more light to be filtered. Glad I'm only a youngster and don't need anything better than B&Q Strimmer glasses.

But it certainly is an issue, a guy was telling me how his scores have rapidly declined since having to wear shooting glasses. ( He had avoided it up until now, but referees are doing their job properly now )

I started experimenting with different colour lenses in the late 80's when yellow somehow seemed to enjoy the status of being just right for shooting  <_<  no doubt helped by several expert articles in Sporting Gun. The first set of HyScore glasses I bought cost £50 and came with 4 different colour lenses and even allowing for my keen eyes back then they made next to no difference in visual pick up but plenty of adverse effect owing to their flawed basic design and ultra poor quality.

I remember shooting a big White Gold qualifier at Abbey in varying lights including very bright sun and eventually came to the conclusion the dark browns were the only ones of any use. If I could have my £350 back for the Hydefs I got years ago I wouldn't hesitate, they are over priced. 

One day someone is going to market a quality £40 set with high light brown joined up lenses with no centre separator, comfortable arms that don't muller your ears, in a hard light case, then watch the shamanic speak disappear from the silly adverts while the current jokers hurriedly redesign their own entry level model and ehem, adjust their prices to £45.................or one tenth of where they are at the moment.

Shooting glasses , washing up liquid or the price of beetroot is determined by what people will pay . 

But it certainly is an issue, a guy was telling me how his scores have rapidly declined since having to wear shooting glasses. ( He had avoided it up until now, but referees are doing their job properly now )
I watched the ISSF World Cup Womens Skeet Final from Nicosia yesterday and noticed that the Italian lass did not wear any specs. I have no idea what the ISSF rules are but you would think out of any of the disciplines, Skeet would be the one where glasses are mandatory.

I use a pair of Browning shooting glasses brown/grey ish colour which I have put a piece of opaque tape over the spot I look through on my dominant eye. I think they are great. They are comfortable work nicely as a sun glass and they cost €17.50. We only use orange clays and I have no problem spotting them, I do have good long vision, in almost all daylight conditions.

Would be fair to assume that lens colour will not resolve the problem if so then why would hidef and various other glasses companies manufacture different colour lenses. Just a thought ..

So cynical Ian, different colour lenses do help the eye by changing the contrast of the light the eye sees, so in some cases orange targets "pop" with a certain lens and in dim light condition the lens makes everything appear brighter, yes there is an element of marketing but some of these product actually work well, whether you pay £350 for a set is up to you, I can't make sense of people spending £12,500 on a shotgun that is used for clays, but thats just me...

ehb102

Yes I shoot off the right shoulder but my dominant eye is my left. I put a little bit of the opaque tape over the  part of the lens that I have to look through to see the bead with my left eye and the right then only see's the bead. Works a treat for me I can shoot with both eyes open and it really helps with spotting the clay. I just found all the other methods did not work but this is very easy to set up and works really well I don't get 100% vision but it does not tire my eyes and it seems very natural for me now.

So cynical Ian, different colour lenses do help the eye by changing the contrast of the light the eye sees, so in some cases orange targets "pop" with a certain lens and in dim light condition the lens makes everything appear brighter, yes there is an element of marketing but some of these product actually work well, whether you pay £350 for a set is up to you, I can't make sense of people spending £12,500 on a shotgun that is used for clays, but thats just me...
Its called dry humour you miserable git! 

ehb102

Yes I shoot off the right shoulder but my dominant eye is my left. I put a little bit of the opaque tape over the  part of the lens that I have to look through to see the bead with my left eye and the right then only see's the bead. Works a treat for me I can shoot with both eyes open and it really helps with spotting the clay. I just found all the other methods did not work but this is very easy to set up and works really well I don't get 100% vision but it does not tire my eyes and it seems very natural for me now.
I had tape on the lense over my non-dominant eye for a similar reason. Gone now, but it was awfully helpful in getting me to open both eyes. 

I will ignore madmatts gun price reference :)

Like hammy i tryed yellow in the 80s and did not find them of any use. I prefer none and would now if we could but someone decided that the pesky trap clay was somehow going to hit me in the eye so after countless trials including salopians strimmer jobs i got hi def purely because of the comfort and lack of a bridge. Not sure they are of benefit over none so usually use as light as possible lenses.

Latest posts

Back