open versus registered

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growl

Just pondering!

How much extra does it cost to run a registered shoot as opposed to an open?

the reason I ask is that registered shoots seem to be on the decline!

If it's not a financial buden is it due to numbers decreasing on the registered shoots as none cpsa members cannot attend?

Taking that that is the case surely it may be of benifit to ground owners to offer a shoot that is an 'open' but with a 'registered' running within it - this would (may be very wrong) I guess act to increase the target audience.

Wondered what your thoughts are, cheers all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody can shoot a registered shoot. Used to be the case that is was a bit awkward to do so, but not now. Open to all, every time.

Tons of reg shoots around my area (75 mins drive max).

Cheers Clever, have got loads of grounds near to me within an hour but was wondering why a number seem to stay shy of registered or have stopped them all together, not sure if it was the cost or something else, seems a lot of grounds just opt for practise now but if that carries on - the question may be just what are we practising for??

Cheers Clever, have got loads of grounds near to me within an hour but was wondering why a number seem to stay shy of registered or have stopped them all together, not sure if it was the cost or something else, seems a lot of grounds just opt for practise now but if that carries on - the question may be just what are we practising for??
Good point. I think some places just can't be bothered with answering to anybody else, submitting scores, or sorting prize money. Its also an excuse for being crap and acceptable. :) Maybe it's cultural. You could see at Valley view that their regulars didn't get what was going on when they added in the reg shoot.

The nice thing now is that you can treat a reg shoot as a practice or a comp of you are CPSA or non.

It is true that registered ESP shoots seem to be on the decline. In a huge rural county like Essex, often touted as having more shooters than any other county, there are no registered shoots apart from the bigger comps at Hepworth Hall from time to time, but not any regular club registered shoots.

We live just a few miles north of Southend and our nearest regular shoot is Barrow Heath in Suffolk. Then there is Horne and then Southdown and Greenfields which are nearly 2 1/2 hours drive away. Even A1 have stopped the registered comps.

Plenty of open shoots and straw balers though, and the reason I have generally been given is due to the hassle of getting qualified refs. Most say they can't make money at registered comps?

Don't profess to understand it all, but personally I would still rather do the drive to make a registered shoot, and do so most weeks !

It doesn't cost any more as you'd be using the same layouts for practice as competition. The only effort required is inputting the scores into the Shoot system, enforcing the rules and making sure your referees know the rules (although they often don't)

Registered events are declining because shooters are picky about shooting competition if the weather's against them. A poor performance drives your average down.

The choice is simple - shoot registered and have a regulated shoot with referees not scorers which is safe with a prize money formula that is there for all to see and is fair and above board. Or shoot open shoots and have none of this.

the costs would not  be alot different , apart from what ian has said above , there is sometimes a misunderstanding that we pay a levy to cpsa on every registered entry , we dont except on major championships .we do however pay a renewal fee every year to cpsa on a ground basis so for me personnally with westfield , windrush, weston wood and garlands this is a grand total of £600 per year 

steve

the costs would not  be alot different , apart from what ian has said above , there is sometimes a misunderstanding that we pay a levy to cpsa on every registered entry , we dont except on major championships .we do however pay a renewal fee every year to cpsa on a ground basis so for me personnally with westfield , windrush, weston wood and garlands this is a grand total of £600 per year 

steve
Not exactly correct. Intercounty events carry a levy even though they're not major championships.

Going back to the original question, the CPSA ties the hands of ground owners to an extent. Practice in not allowed on compitition layouts until the registered event, including shoot offs, is over. By then most competitors have buggered off home.

Re entry isn't allowed and there's no doubt this cost grounds potential revenue. Why shooters can't re enter an event having shot it once i've no idea? It seems hard on ground owners to turn away good money simply because the CPSA's rules don't allow it.

All in all, you can see why grounds are orgainising and running their own events and shunning the CPSA.

Not exactly correct. Intercounty events carry a levy even though they're not major championships.

Going back to the original question, the CPSA ties the hands of ground owners to an extent. Practice in not allowed on compitition layouts until the registered event, including shoot offs, is over.

Re entry isn't allowed and there's no doubt this cost grounds potential revenue. Why shooters can't re enter an event having shot it once i've no idea? It seems hard on ground owners to turn away good money simply because the CPSA's rules don't allow it.

All in all, you can see why grounds are orgainising and running their own events and shunning the CPSA.
I think sporting is what is mostly being discussed and its treated differently to trap events. You can re enter any sporting event as a practice afterwards, but most don't want to anyway..

Jan, I was going to post something similar about not being able to use layouts for practice. We have had 4 empty layouts in the past and had to turn paying customers away. It's a tough choice.

Yes, my comments relate to trap and skeet events. As I don't shoot sporting I've no idea what goes on there

The problem is Julia, not everyone plays by the same rules. There are many grounds where they will let shooters shoot practice within a registered event. The same grounds will also agree not to input the scores if the shooter requests it when booking on.

Whilst it's against the rules I can see it from a grounds point if view. They can't be expected to turn away a shooter stood at the counter with money in their hand.

Grounds can't have it both ways - if they wish to shoot registered events then they are tapped into a CPSA membership which means a lot of customers. This is potentially a lucrative proposition but has the downside of rules which have to be adhered to as it is an organised event. The pros and cons have to be considered by ground owners - they are there to make money after all.

Totally agree, personally I love doing registered shoots and the benefits that brings but totally understand why grounds don't put them on.

Latest posts

Back