Not Shooting Enough?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Salmon

Does anyone else feel that they don't shoot enough? Or if they have time out finding it hard to get back into it?

I used to try and go twice a month which I thought was pretty regular. I haven't been since Christmas so this Sunday with Santander will be there first time in 4 months!

I don't shoot enough to be as competitive as i would wish. averaging 400 shells a month mainly due to work commitments, How on earth i manage to stay in A class is a mystery, would like to think in the next few years i will be able to increase shooting time added to some proper coaching with the aim of becoming a genuine AA standard shooter.

I've only shot one round since Oct/Nov last year. Should be out more once the gun is finished and better weather arrives.

Had quite a lay-off this winter (mainly due to the weather) and found it quite hard to get back in to the previous form. First couple of OT shoots felt like I had forgotten everything about gun mount, hold points, seeing the target, etc. A few weeks in and managed to drag myself back up to my usual poor standard.

As for shooting enough? No where near. If I'm lucky I get to shoot two, maybe three comps a month with no practice in between.

Just ordered some prescription shooting glasses so looking forward (no pun intended) to actually seeing the targets clearly for the first time in years.

Onwards and upwards.

DT

I have shot through the winter, and I shoot a lot but if I could find some way to shoot more I would.  Greedy is my middle name.

Started on march the 3rd - shot 2 league competitions (12 comps all in) in 7 weeks by now with 14 traininng sesssions and I think I've just had enough...

I'm not sure what 'enough' is - I took a proper winter break, and came back hungry, seemingly a little better and with some positivity. I took the break because I don't like the cold weather, and I get diminishing returns. 

That said, now I'm back - I'm hungry to shoot 3 or 4 times a week.  That's not always possible of course. 

Personally, I think there is no 'enough' - there is a 'right amount' for each person.... based on your enjoyment, affordability and time.  In an ideal world, I'd split that between intentional practice and competition if that floats your boat. 

Through a summer we used to shoot 50 practice every Thursday night. 100-150 practise every other weekend and a decent hundred birder once a month. Was just enough shooting so that you always had something to look forward to and keep your hand in. Even a 50 bird practise after work on a Thursday was enough to keep you spured on during the week at work.

I only shot a small amount in the winter, not my cuppa all trussed up in multiple layers. 

In the summer I shoot Wednesday PM at Barby Sporting around 100 targets 

And Thursday PM at AGL or Sywell around 120 targets 

This is brings me back up to speed. 

If I have any specific targets that need work then I work on those with Ed. 

As to shooting too much that's impossible for me. 

It's all about having a balance.  

Generally I practice twice a month at Churchills and I've been to AC Sporting Targets just to shoot something different (skeet, Sportrap)

Then I shoot a registered competition each week.

What I have been guilty of previously is shooting because I can rather than actually needing or wanting to.

"What I have been guilty of previously is shooting because I can rather than actually needing or wanting to"

i feel i need to shoot as much as i can because of my love for it and i can honestly say that there has never been a time i didn't want to! :wink:  

I shoot more than I should ?

But that's still not enough ?

I love it! I shoot a couple of times a week usually, but come may that will be 4 or more for a while.

Think I'm shooting almost everyday in June!

That will use up my holiday allowance ?

I used to shoot 4 or 5 times a month and was reasonably consistent.

Now I shoot much less -  maybe once or twice a month and my scores have gone down (unsurprisingly).

I shoot maybe 10 game days in the winter and get better as the season goes on.

That looks like a clear pattern to me -  get out more and my scores will improve.

I shoot 100 sporting every week. If I don't shoot for 4 or 5 weeks i lose the lead pictures on those 25 -35 yard  targets that everyone hits and I have know idea where iam missing. It then takes a good 5 to 6 shoots to get it back. I guess that's the difference between a natural shot and someone who has to work at it. 

Latest posts

Back