New shotgun options

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter.W-T

I am currently looking at the options for buying a new shotgun. I have looked at the Browning Ultra XS Prestige and the beretta 692 that both seem to come in at around the same price. Currently I shoot a Miruko MK 70 that fits me pretty well.

Any thoughts, comments or experiences of the above guns would be welcome along with any comments about alternative options in the same kind of price range.

Thanks in advance

Is the new gun purely to scratch an itch? You already own a trusted tool that you say fits you. Sounds good to me! You can't buy a score in this game with a shiny new gun if it doesn't suit you much better than the old one.

I think both the guns you mention are good. They are different so only you will know the best for you. Try before you buy if possible.

Is the new gun purely to scratch an itch? You already own a trusted tool that you say fits you. Sounds good to me! You can't buy a score in this game with a shiny new gun if it doesn't suit you much better than the old one.

I think both the guns you mention are good. They are different so only you will know the best for you. Try before you buy if possible.
+1  :biggrin:

The browning will handle similar to your miroku, the beretta if you haven't had one will feel different. Beretta a better gun imo but your choice.

An interesting topic and some good comments.

Now is the time to change if you feel it necessary, but what really is the motivation?

Is a change a good thing?

Will it give the impetus to improve?

Will it scratch an itch?

Will it be a total waste of money?

I have a friend who shot to a very high standard with a Miroku, he decided he wanted something better, he now owns 2 Krieghoffs, 2 Blaser , 2 Perazzi + the original Miroku which he now never shoots. He changes monthly between Krieghoffs and Blasers , changes stocks and barrels but never shoots as well as with the Miroku.

Last week I asked (begged) him to give his Miroku a whirl to regain some form.

" No , because I can afford better guns than Miroku."

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Like buying a new car, we have so many options and we will all settle eventually on a favourite brand, what that may be is anyone's guess, we will never all agree.

As for 692 Beretta, I am disappointed with how many trigger problems are being reported and also top levers fouling on the stock.

Quality may not be as good as IPS would try to have us believe. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point not heard of the issues i assumed 692 was as good as 682

I've been very happy with my 692 in terms of how it feels and shoots.

I have however had issues with a sticky top lever and it's currently back at GMK being 'put right' for the second time.....I think it's this composite rubber coating on the lever causing the problem, it seems to catch on the wood without marking it as it would if it were bare metal.

Due to get it back on Friday, will see how it goes at the weekend.

I am currently looking at the options for buying a new shotgun. I have looked at the Browning Ultra XS Prestige and the beretta 692 that both seem to come in at around the same price. Currently I shoot a Miruko MK 70 that fits me pretty well.

Any thoughts, comments or experiences of the above guns would be welcome along with any comments about alternative options in the same kind of price range.

Thanks in advance
Have you considered a Caesar Guerini? These are a similar handling gun to the Beretta and great value for money :banghead:

Certainly partly to scratch an itch if I'm honest ! But also because the opportunity is there to get a newer gun that should last a very long time. Certainly agree with the try to buy comment, when I bought the miroku I was absolutely set on a Browning 425 until I tried both and the Miroku felt much better.

Neil Orr mentioned considering a CG.

Good call Neil, I know a number of people who have changed from other popular makes to a CG with good results.A few have expressed doubts about the longevity of CG, only time will tell, but I have not heard any horror stories yet. When you consider that they can be bought S/H for circa £2K they may very well be a great option.

A good friend of mine has just purchased a C.G Apex impact, I'm a dedicated Beretta fan but, secretly I'm a little bit jealous. Looks feels and handles great..
p.s. Dont tell him.. ;)

chicken curry no worry

I shoot an Ultra XS and I think it will be a bit heavier than a 692, mine is 8lb 2oz.  I previously used a Beretta 686 which I bought in 1986 when it was 3 years old, I didn't use it between 1987/88 and 2011 'cos I stopped shooting, but by then it was rapidly approaching a 30 year old gun (even if relatively unused).  Your Prestige model caught my eye when Eastern Sporting had one on the wall one time when I went in there, but it was a bit too dear, so later I bought the 'non prestige' XS which is about £5/600 cheaper.  My chokes are stainless steel and not titanium and possibly the wood is a slightly better grade on the Prestige.  Just recently I have been wondering whether I would get on better with a slightly lighter gun, but that's all I've done is wonder - A heavy gun and long barrels are not the be-all and end-all of good shooting especially in Sporting.  Just my tuppence worth.

Tim

Neil Orr mentioned considering a CG.

Good call Neil, I know a number of people who have changed from other popular makes to a CG with good results.A few have expressed doubts about the longevity of CG, only time will tell, but I have not heard any horror stories yet. When you consider that they can be bought S/H for circa £2K they may very well be a great option.
Question: We all rave about the big 3 (manufacturers), when do we add CG into this and call it the big 4?

salopian has a good point.. mirokus are one of the best handling guns around. i think personally you are either a browning group man/woman or a beretta man/woman.  the choice is yours...  

salopian has a good point.. mirokus are one of the best handling guns around. i think personally you are either a browning group man/woman or a beretta man/woman.  the choice is yours...  
Well I know what you mean, however I have shot Berettas, Mirokus and Perazzis over the years, I shot equally well with Miroku and Beretta......and I still do........I shoot sh*te with both!!!! :laugh:   But seriously, a Miroku is very hard to beat mate, unless you move up a bit (say to a DT10, DT11 or MX8), but even then it is unlikely to make you shoot any better, but if you need to scratch an itch...........

Back