Nervous visit to the Proof House.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockney21

Just spent an hour at the London Proof house getting an old Watson Brothers sidelock SxS reproofed. I bought it at auction and it was so near to being out of proof that when checked it was suggested if I had so much at farted down the barrels it would have been out of proof...not something I do without checking it's not loaded I might add! Probably why it was at auction in the first place.

They run a "while you wait" appointment system, you need to book in advance, but they checked all the original proof marks and current bore size and highlight any issues you might have like dents etc which need to be removed before testing. Very helpful and showed that at least one experienced gunsmith who had checked the gun was talking out of his arse.

Good news was that my 116 year old passed and now good for another good few years. But seeing those which fail was a bit of a shock with everything from brand new barrels with a split several inches long in the tube to older guns which have just peeled open just after the chamber.

Got to admit that after seeing the possible damage a out of proof gun can cause I would rather get it checked than loss my left hand!

Glad it passed the test! Some shooters need testing too, luckily not too many though!  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
116 yr old, wow.
I wonder how many owners that's had! Must be nice to own something like that, I still live in hope that a Carrega ST150 comes up in the UK one day!

yep indeed. Pictures please cockney

Quick pic...needs to go off to get the barrels reblacked. Stock nearly done and new Silvers pad added. Not too sure how many owners, but got info on when it was made etc from Watsons.

IMG_1459.JPG

Quick pic...needs to go off to get the barrels reblacked. Stock nearly done and new Silvers pad added. Not too sure how many owners, but got info on when it was made etc from Watsons.

View attachment 5255
That's a lovely bit of kit mate! Looks like a leather and wood case too, brilliant!  ;)

ruddy ell that's lovely mate pure class just my sort of thing.

jealous from oop north :)

That is one very nice gun. I have a similar dilemma with my Westley Richards. I managed to put a small dent in the right barrel about 5 years ago, as the gun was insured against accidental damage, it went back to Westley's (just prior to their move). Although still in proof, it is 'only just'. The barrel man at Westley's suggested a re-proof, but made a strong point that the gun was safe to continue to shoot. I only need to have the gun well in proof if I decided to sell, but that is not on the agenda. Like your gun it is complete in it's oak and leather case with ebonite cleaning rods and all accessories, all engraved Westley Richards. It has a hinged bottom plate, although the locks are pinned and has a wood stock extension, which is a reasonable match. I bought the gun in the late 1970's and had it fitted by Westley Richards, something that taught me a great deal about having a gun altered to 'fit'. I have never shot game as well with any gun ever since (and I have tried a few). I have 2 Grandsons who are now showing a keen interest in shooting, so I am hoping that one of them will keep and use the gun, it is some 16 years 'younger' than yours though. I do not know if you have someone in mind for the barrel blacking, but I had mine done by Wiseman's of Cannock around 20 years ago and they are still excellent today, just minor traces of 'gunslip wear' at the muzzles and breech. I only shoot 28 gram Hull cartridges but still manage to drop some of those 'arch angel' pheasant and partridge that the Miroku Trap boys are missing, with 36 gram and full/full. I probably would use 6.5's if I ever went rabbit shooting though.

P.S. Forgot to say it has 28" barrels, choked 3/4 and I/C, weighs 6lbs 2ozs.  and I nearly always pull the back trigger (3/4) first.

Thanks chaps, it is coming on nicely. Always liked old sxs, had a Army and Navy sidelock first, a lovely 20bore Belgian boxlock which we still have and a AYA No.2 which is up for sale at the moment.  Suspect we will sell the Watson too as my son has just got a 1969 Alfa Romeo for when he starts driving in a years time and I said he can have some of the funds to spend on the car...Case is a leather and oak, another auction buy, went through a stage of buying old cases to restore. Nice little project even if the cost of the baize is a little £££.

Westley Richards are a great maker. We had a factory tour last year and some first class shotguns and rifles being made, easily up to the standard of the best in the world.

We have never had the fgunds to do game shooting, not really my thing, but did a simulated day and you start to understand why a lightweight sxs is so well suited.

I have taken some reasonable pics of the Westley, but I seem to have a hole in my photo bucket.

I wonder how many owners that's had! Must be nice to own something like that, I still live in hope that a Carrega ST150 comes up in the UK one day
Your second in the que, only ones I find for sale are in Spain or Germany, plenty of 80's and 100's about if you search...

I could have one sent to you tomorrow from France, know someone who has one for sale. It is original but has been totally refurbished to the extent that the gun looks new. Some would say that is a step too far possible but if you want a gun that old you want it to look nice I suppose. I have shot it too... lucky me! You are talking £5k though.

I could have one sent to you tomorrow from France, know someone who has one for sale. It is original but has been totally refurbished to the extent that the gun looks new. Some would say that is a step too far possible but if you want a gun that old you want it to look nice I suppose. I have shot it too... lucky me! You are talking £5k though.
What choking John? Comb height? What number ?

John can you get any pics mate? Has any barrel work been done? Has it got the original docs with it?

Hi Les

I don't know about any docs for the gun to be honest. Here is what I think though. I think the gun was bought second hand in a not too great state and completely redone blueing everything. I do know that the barrel internals were repolished I don't think they have been reamed though. The gun looks like its new and is much drooled over here when the guy brings it along. He has it in the gun shop that refurbed it for sale at the moment. Thing is he has another John Moses Browning that he has had the same done to it which he shoots all the time now. I think I can get you some snaps of it though I will give him a call see if he has any. He was on holiday just now I think but will email him he may be back.

edit

He is on hols until 10th Nov but will get back to you.

Back