My partner

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brand New

My partner Pauline had never shot before in her life. I coaxed her into having a taster session at a local shooting ground. She loved it and did quite nicely with just over 50% hits.

Then Pauline had had an accident with a horse. Her collar bone was shattered and there was extensive muscle damage. Its been 14 weeks now and she really wants to shoot but she cant use her right arm. 

She needs to hear some encouragement from people who have been in a similar place. Any encouragement from the fairer sex would be great. 

cant help as far as experience is concerned but I hope she mends soon and is able to shoot. ?

Probably NOT what you want to hear, but I was 11 months without shooting, prior to and during a shoulder op period. After the op., last September, I had just got back into things last April. I started back using a 28 bore and 18 gram cartridges then worked my way up to a 20 bore and then onto my 12 bore. It was not really a recoil issue, more the weight of the gun. Tell her to be guided by her Physio and do NOT rush things. I used to go to the local club with the guys I normally shoot with and hold the coats and press buttons and of course eat the sausage butty !

Oh dear, sorry to hear this.....I had a shoulder injury and when I returned shooting I used 21gram with my 12 bore with no repercussions . Wesley s comments may be more useful but she must take it steady or to be totally honest she should completely rest and recover before she shoots again.

Wishing Pauline a speedy recovery. 

My partner Pauline had never shot before in her life. I coaxed her into having a taster session at a local shooting ground. She loved it and did quite nicely with just over 50% hits.

Then Pauline had had an accident with a horse. Her collar bone was shattered and there was extensive muscle damage. Its been 14 weeks now and she really wants to shoot but she cant use her right arm. 

She needs to hear some encouragement from people who have been in a similar place. Any encouragement from the fairer sex would be great. 
No point rushing back, particularly as she is just staring out. Get advice from a Physio and take it from there. More important to get the function back in the shoulder/arm than to be shooting. If you don't get it sorted, it'll more than likely cause further problems down the line...

As Nick says.  

I am just over 1 year of being  out of a sling for a long period due to clavicle injury and surgery.    Only now  do feel able to return to shooting.

However, not all injuries are the same but please be guided by the  Orthopaedic drs and physios. Do not rush back to shooting to quick. Many a problem shoulder that  has not been able to heal  and rehab properly.

Regards

Damon 

Thanks guys,she is a bit down at present as she cant drive and is stuck in all day whilst I am at work.She is having physio every two weeks and it will clearly be quite some time before she shoots again.

as the guys above say, take the time it needs to heal, but when I couldn't shoot for a while I still went out with the hubby and scored, pushed buttons etc and WATCHED.  You can learn so much by watching and listening etc.  I wish her well in her recovery and hope for her sake it's not too long before she's back shooting.  I would also go for 21/24 gram cartridges or go for an auto when getting back into it, very soft on the shoulder and maybe also just going out with you for a practice before going straight into comps.  Where in the country are you?  If and when she gets back into shooting, and you are not too far away, I and I'm sure other ladies will go out for a "girly" morning/afternoon out.  Take care!

Back