Muller Chokes - are they as good as they claim to be?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive bought them for my previous gun and now the K80, great chokes, stay tight, easy to clean, and pattern well. Mr Muller would do well to tighten paint color control in his QA process and roll out his heavyweights to fit a wider range of manufacturers to take away the weight debate, but other than those minor comments, its all good.

I used the Muller chokes for the first time on saturday, I hit and missed the same as with the Briley chokes that came with my gun. The Mullers were just as dirty as the Briley chokes but to be honest the Briley chokes are easier to clean after

four rounds of Trap using the same make of cartridges (Rottweil).... not what I expected. They are very light, well made, look very nice in my gun but cannot say that they are better or worse than the Briley extended chokes.

and I guess thats it, my conclusion is that they are great, one mans wine is another mans poison, and its a personal choice at the end of the day.

I have been shooting the Muller chokes for about 4 months now?  As ever still takes the mushy orgenic part to put the shot in the correct place but when you do - there will be no doubt about hitting it! Shooting some great stuff with them and Gamebore White Golds and getting some dusting at some ranges you wouldnt expect it at, not only that but the breaks are consistant! The chokes themselves weigh absolutly Nout and are as hard as nails - couldn't recomend them more if you were going down the choke route.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been shooting the Muller chokes for about 4 months now?  As ever still takes the mushy orgenic part to put the shot in the correct place but when you do - there will be no doubt about hitting it! Shooting some great stuff with them and Gamebore White Golds and getting some dusting at some ranges you wouldnt expect it at, not only that but the breaks are consistant! The chokes themselves weigh absolutly Nout and are as hard as nails - couldn't recomend them more if you were going don the choke route.....
You were the one i saw using Muller chokes in the White gold knockout part at Westfields last weekend :)  

Glad you like them and thanks for your input.

Good evening everyone. Ive just joined the site, seems a great place for info and reviews.

Is there a maximum shot size that can be used with muller clays? I do more game shooting than clays and wonder is it safe for number 3 - number 6 shot. 

They seem to get positive reviews from alot of people, but everyone that uses them does so on clays.

Good evening everyone. Ive just joined the site, seems a great place for info and reviews.

Is there a maximum shot size that can be used with muller clays? I do more game shooting than clays and wonder is it safe for number 3 - number 6 shot. 

They seem to get positive reviews from alot of people, but everyone that uses them does so on clays.

Not sure if it helps 

http://justchoking.co.uk/products/waterfowl-chokes/

thanks evoracer, ive seen that page before, seems mainly for the wildfowler with non lead loads. 

thanks evoracer, ive seen that page before, seems mainly for the wildfowler with non lead loads. 
there is a quote somewhere there which states their chokes have double the strength of a set of barrels but there is also a restriction of a steel size of 7 i think you need to send a message as assumption could end in a bad way hope it all works out 

yes I thought that. ill get in touch with the people that sell them. thanks very much for your help appreciate it.

They are easier to clean but check the constrictions compared to factory, specially Beretta Optima HP. The HP are proper constrictions and have denser with less constriction. Depending on ammo and actual constriction, your results can differ! Do the tests!

Henry

The main advantage of Muller and other aftermarket chokes,is that it means there are plenty of standard factory chokes for sale secondhand.just got two beretta optima HP for £30 each.

The main advantage of Muller and other aftermarket chokes,is that it means there are plenty of standard factory chokes for sale secondhand.just got two beretta optima HP for £30 each.
Same here, got three for £72 last year, inc p&p

I patterned the following Investor Plus chokes in my 32” Browning GP Sporter and my results are outlined below:

Browning Midas Modified Choke with a quoted restriction of 0.20”

Muller U3 Choke with a quoted restriction of 0.22”

Browning Midas Improved Modified Choke with a quoted restriction of 0.25”

I tested each choke at 30 yards, 40 yards and 50 yards. I patterned each choke 6 times at each distance using Gamebore White Gold number 8 plastic wad cartridges.

Weight: The Muller U3 choke weighed 18 grams and the browning chokes weigh 40 grams for the Modified and 42 grams for the Improved modified.

This is Muller’s claim from their website:

Muller Chokes consistently produce the most even pellet distribution possible. You'll find an 'outer fringe' to our shot patterns that will give you an advantage you've never had before. Interestingly, you don't need as many different sized chokes as you have in the past.

My Conclusions:

The Muller U3 choke does produce a very nice pattern at 40 yards but it is very yardage specific and their claim of their chokes covering 2 of your normal chokes was found in my case to be untrue. I found that the U3 choke was best at 40 yards only. At 30 yards the Midas Modified choke produced the best patterns and at 50 yards the Midas Improved Modified choke produce the best patterns.

Mullers claim that their chokes provide “an outer fringe to the shot pattern that will give you an advantage” was also found to be untrue in my case. At 30 yards the outer fringe was extremely sparse and sporadic and was not as effective as the Midas Modified choke patterns.

The weight difference to me is a disadvantage as I need more weight at the muzzles anyway. People looking to change from manufacturers standard chokes to these should be cautious as these chokes will reduce the weight of you gun at the muzzles and change the balance of your gun. If you gun is muzzle heavy this will be a good solution but if not you may need to add lead to compensate and keep the balance the same.

As to their claims on less build up I observed no difference in build up between any of the three chokes from the 18 shots fired through each.

A friend of mine was given the patterns as purely numbered pictures and he used a computer based pattern analyser on them and this has also reached the same conclusions.

What? You mean you can't just screw in some pricey gizmos and simply hit more clays? Massive disappointment hearing that.. :)

I get so much variation in different cartridge brands through my fixed choke barrels that I figured, for me, I just didn't need to play chokes as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back