Muller Chokes - are they as good as they claim to be?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope complete carp, don't waste your money!

Your scores will suffer, they will weld themselves into your barrels, they adversely alter the dynamics of your swing and are a bugger to clean!

Think that should be enough reverse psychology to keep the secret safe guys!
You must be doing something seriously wrong :fie:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your input and i appreciate you sending me a U3 for me to evaluate myself, hopefully i will receive it in time to use it at Westfield on Sunday. I will of course do my own testing of this choke in due course but the tighter the choke the more subtle the differences in my experience and to be honest if i do decide to switch to them i would be using U2 and U1 the most. As you haven't got either of these to test i am interested to hear other peoples experiences of these chokes as the claims of the manufacturer are quite profound! Please do note that i have stipulated that i wish to hear from people who have personal experience of these chokes only. I also shoot a bit of skeet as well as sporting hence my interest in the more open chokes as well. 

I was raving about them before I was asked by Matt to write this http://shootclay.co.uk/2012/12/07/do-you-muller-your-targets/

Since then, I am using a pair of U2's sometimes U3.  I get asked at least once at any shoot, what chokes I am using.

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose them to go in my Zoli Z Sport partly on reputation and partly to avoid any weight increase on the 32inch barrels which are pretty much 34's now!!!!!!!!! I use U1 bottom barrel and U2 in the top - just move the barrel selector if you want to reverse for a longer first clay. I have a U3 also but had no call to use if yet.

I shot the last Owls Lodge sporting on the same squad as Nicola. If she remembers, I had no problems with all the long range stuff but major issue with close in stuff - more gun fit issues than choke me thinks :)

The U1 sure made mincemeat of the teal type clay thrown from the tower when I switched to shooting on its downward trajectory - it was the only way I could hit them.

Are they better than the factory ones and other after market chokes - no sure I know the answer to that. If they work for you and they give you sub-conscious confidence, they you are well on your way to better scores and one thing less to worry about.

Only my opinion of course

Very happy with mine. I use a U1 and U2 combination for ESP and rarely feel the need to change.

Service from Nicky T is top notch too.

I had Muller for my DT10L and was very satisfied with the patterns and also they made the shotgun more lively as they are lighter than stock. When I got my DT11, Beretta did not make an extended LM choke for it. Last year Beretta sent me a pair of flush LM chokes. The Muller LM for my DT 11 are slightly tighter by (If I remember correctly) 2 thou. I patterned both the Beretta LM flush and the Muller DT11 at a measured 35M. In my case with North American slower velocity ammunition, the Beretta flush LM patterned more evenly. I have since sold the Muller chokes. They work very well using RC4 and RC4 Super Red at over 40 yards. I think that Beretta has done a lot of engineering into the barrel technology as well as matching the choke design to work well with the "Steelium" barrels. As in the commercials for gas mileage: "your mileage may vary!". I still have a Muller U3 for high pheasants in my 391 Optima Gold, as it works very well and better than the Optima IM.

Henry 

I do also have a concern with the Muller chokes due to their lightness. My Browning GP Sporter 32" is very light for a 32" sporter and due to the fitting work that i have had done it is already very slightly stock heavy. I have just ordered some self adhesive lead tape to apply at the end of the barrels to change it to slightly muzzle heavy to reduce muzzle flip and improve stability. So as you can see the lightness of these chokes for me is a downside as i will also have to add the weight savings that these chokes have over my Browning midas inv+ chokes as well to the end of the barrels.

Nick is there a heavier option of these chokes like Ed has or is that an expensive custom option?

The most cost effective way of getting a heavier weight Muller is to go for one of the H2O (Waterfowl) chokes that are available in Invector Plus. The custom option is cost prohibitive; hence why it's not actually available.

I do also have a concern with the Muller chokes due to their lightness. My Browning GP Sporter 32" is very light for a 32" sporter and due to the fitting work that i have had done it is already very slightly stock heavy. I have just ordered some self adhesive lead tape to apply at the end of the barrels to change it to slightly muzzle heavy to reduce muzzle flip and improve stability. So as you can see the lightness of these chokes for me is a downside as i will also have to add the weight savings that these chokes have over my Browning midas inv+ chokes as well to the end of the barrels.

Nick is there a heavier option of these chokes like Ed has or is that an expensive custom option?
Think you might be splitting hairs there Mike whilst mullers are very light they may make it feel a bit lively but the difference is not going to stop muzzle flip if its an issue that could be caused by other variables 

If your happy with your midas chokes then stick with them I doubt very much your shooting would improve by changing and its often best to have chokes that you have 100% faith in, That way you can forget about them altogether and concentrate on what really matters. :spiteful:

Think you might be splitting hairs there Mike whilst mullers are very light they may make it feel a bit lively but the difference is not going to stop muzzle flip if its an issue that could be caused by other variables 

If your happy with your midas chokes then stick with them I doubt very much your shooting would improve by changing and its often best to have chokes that you have 100% faith in, That way you can forget about them altogether and concentrate on what really matters. :spiteful:
The lead additions are required regardless of choke in my opinion as it is slightly stock heavy as i said above. The choke is just something i'm considering after patterning my current chokes.

From experience with a good cartridge yes!!  I generally shoot U2 and U2 the breaking of the clay in my opinion seems to be far superior than the beretta supplied chokes 

this week I got a U3, today there was a going away clay which the wind was taking way out I shot the first and then waited that long everyone thought I had forgot to go for it then I pulled the trigger and to my delight it broke I would never have attempted that a while back but I have confidence in my cartridge and choke choice and if something like a choke can instil confidence it can only be a good thing!

I was shooting in the White Gold challenge shoot off's today and there was a guy using Muller chokes but to be honest the breaks were no more impressive than anyone elses. He was using a Browning Ultra XS and so had the chokes that i would get. He was using U2 and U3 chokes. 

I used Mullers today missed loads of targets - I can't blame the chokes though it was the plonker pulling the trigger who was at fault. BAD BAD DAY :-(

I don't mean a to be a Killjoy, but how can any choke change the so called hot core? and looking at kills is surely nonsense because you don't know where the center of the pattern went. Are chokes not just a Mental Placebo like shell choice?

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

My Muller chokes arrived in the post yesterday, look very nice fitted in my F3. If they break clays as good as they look then i´ll be more than happy with them.

The lead additions are required regardless of choke in my opinion as it is slightly stock heavy as i said above. The choke is just something i'm considering after patterning my current chokes.[/quoteJust a thought if you want to add weight by using heavier chokes then rhinos are worth a try. They are a heavy choke and IMO throw excellent patterns.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Interesting comments! My lad's been using Muller chokes since last Jul.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Can't objectively compare them to the previous Browning Invector chokes, but subjectively, he likes them and wouldn't go back to the Invectors.  There is undoubtedly a (+ve) confidence issue.  He has read and understood the claims for the chokes and happily accepts these claims after having using them for a significant period and >5,000  cartridges.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'm reluctant to pattern plate them when he's on a good improvement trend.  He's quite enough to think about as it is and thinking about chokes and patterns is something he doesn't need to do at the moment.  And this is possibly one of the benefits of Mullers ie piece of mind.  He uses U1 and U2.  I might be tempted to [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]surreptitious [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]pattern them myself sometime ;) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]They are easy to remove, easy to clean, certainly reach out to longer range clays and with no obvious problems in hitting closer ones  - using the U1 and U2 chokes appropriately.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The only downside, IMHO is that they make his 32" Browning a bit tight for the cabinet but as they come out at each cleaning, they're left out until the next shoot so no worries![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Nick gave great customer service when we were buying them.  They were out of stock at the time we ordered and his communications were excellent, being told when they were due, that they were in transit from the US and then when he posted them quoting an expected delivery date. He made an effort to get them to us First Class so Ben would have them for the weekend shooting competition.  He was also keen to be informed as to how we were getting on with them so I take customer interest and involvement like this as a good sign.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I would certainly buy them again, and in answer to the OP/Thread title, I would say that they are as good as claimed.  I have no connection with Nick except as a happy customer on this one purchase. :) [/SIZE]

I tried them in my CG impact. 2 x U3. Very good kills and seemed forgiving But they altered the balance for me and made the 32 inch barrels too 'whippy' so went back to CG M and IM. The dynamics were completely changed so not for me but lots like them

I don't mean a to be a Killjoy, but how can any choke change the so called hot core? and looking at kills is surely nonsense because you don't know where the center of the pattern went. Are chokes not just a Mental Placebo like shell choice?

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/
First you need to know why a hot core develops, then...don't do those things.  That is how. :)

Back