Missing the last target - any advice?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampop

Hi all - am looking for tips on hitting that all fiendish last target, twice I managed to drop the last target on Sunday, and it cost me first place!

One stand was 4 pairs of a fast quatering bird followed by a slow incomer - having hit all of the clays, I went and dropped the last incomer - arrghh! On the other stand were a pair of left to right crossers, one slow then the fast report bird - having smashed all I went and dropped the last one again!

Any tips peeps? cheers

You are likely OVER concentrating on the last pair. Hanging on longer / tenser in the muscles / mind full of `dont miss`. It all makes it different from the earlier relaxed pairs..

CSC3

Are you thinking 'i am going/need to straight this' at the back of your mind????? Take every pair as just another pair (or single). I do not want to know what i have hit until i have finished.

run through you pre shot routine for every pair and don't take forgranted having hit all the previous ones. I like to try and imagine that I am going to shoot 20 pairs in the stand

Good bit of advice I got from Elvis, don't think about how many pairs you have shot or how many left, just keep shooting til they drag you out of the cage :)

Good bit of advice I got from Elvis, don't think about how many pairs you have shot or how many left, just keep shooting til they drag you out of the cage :)
My mate has a habit of puting ten shells in his pocket so he knows when it's his last pair, never a good idea.

Shoot every pair as it were the first.

And

Most important shoot the second bird first.

My slant on this missing the last target or last pair,which of course is worse,is one of lack of concentration,relaxing if you like.

I reckon that it is too easy for your brain to say " You killed those two/three pairs easy enough,it's a piece of doddle" and straight away you relax and lose the plot.

Bingo,pair lost !!

Vic.

a lot of DTL shooters empty a box of 25 into one pocket and a dozen in the other for second barrells doing this you always know when your last bird is coming then then mental rot can start i just chuck 25 in each shuffle em half way through and don't know if i've shot 4 or 5 on each peg. as for sporting just take each pair as it comes forget about how many you've shot or have left just focus on the NOW

You have it half right, take up Tarp shooting and abandon the hedge monkey stuff. You know it makes sense.

Phil*
hehe Phil, I said yoga, not fall asleep ;o) With the best will in the world I can only cope with 10 targets at one time, 25 in a round and walking round in circles makes me go dizzy - saying that it may help with my 'concentration issues'!

I had a good dose of missing the last birds on Sunday. DEFINITELY over-trying in my case; usually causing some speed and a miss in front.

I wouldnt know how to ease off the gas. I either want to really hit them, or I really really really want to hit them..

Latest posts

Back