Marsh Smugglers Open

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxney

We have now applied to BSSA to be able to run a 3 day (4 gun + doubles) NSSA childrens charity shoot at Oxney Skeet Targets on the weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) 9/10/11 August. Once theses dates have been approved and a shoot number issued, we will go ahead with the finer details which will include which children's charity we finally choose. A couple come to mind: Clic Sargent or Demelza.
We are looking for donations and sponsors, I will be contacting gun related suppliers etc. and some of you guys. Heather and I will cover the cost of a buffet after the shoot offs on the Sunday.
More details to follow as we progress with the arrangements.
A few suggestions for the name of the shoot, but with much consideration, we decided that we wanted something that was historically relevant to our local area. Heather came up with: Marsh Smugglers Open. This relates to the 1800s smugglers named The Aldington Gang AKA Blues Gang who were active in the Romney Marsh. More details about this gang can be found on our new website : http://oxneyskeet.co.uk note that this site is still in the construction stage, so not all details are complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Oxney, just edited your post to hyperlink your website :)

Few questions, do you have to shoot all 3 days or can you just do the weekend (I dont know what the usual format for a big NSSA shoot is) if its doubles on friday and the 4 gauges over the weekend I might be interested :)

I am assuming you have to be a NSSA member to shoot it or do they do a "daypass"? I would be shooting it just for a bit of fun.

Finally, what kind of cost are we looking at? (ballpark if you dont have that side worked out yet)

Hi Fuzrat

First of all, the good news is that we have recieved confirmation from NSSA and a shoot number, so all systems go.

The normal format for most NSSA 5 gun shoots (4 gauges plus doubles) would be as follows: Friday midday onwards doubles
Saturday 2 gauges (12 & 20) Sunday (28 & 410) with shoot offs at the end of each day.

Because 12 Ga is most popular, we will have a 12ga only rotation maybe on the Friday.

This is the you hopefully will like: Anyone who has NEVER been a NSSA member, can have complimentary membership to NSSA valid until 31st. October 2013.
For anyone who has been a NSSA member, but membership has expired, would need to rejoin (I think) but I will check with BSSA and NSSA.

Cost: I am hoping that we can run this for a ballpark figure of: non competition £29 and competition for £37 (per 100 targets) which gives a £8 payback.
This would include targets, referees @ £4, BSSA and NSSA fees.
The payback will be in each class / gauge and a chart will be displayed of how this will be broken down.

Added monies will be paid back separately as per 1st. 2nd. and 3rd. In each class / gauge. Not knowing what the added money will be, we can't calculate how this will pan out.

Sponsored items Cartidges etc. will be auctioned at the end of the shoot and all proceeds will go th the chosen charity.
Money donated will be divided equally 1/2 back to shooters (as above) and 1/2 to the chosen charity.

PLEASE NOTE : other than the dates, nothing yet is set in stone and any ideas would be much appreciated, these ideas will be run passed the committee (Heather) ha!

Heather and I really want your support and for this shoot to a fun shooting weekend to remember.

Cheers for that, very interested. No way I could get the Friday off for doubles but would love to have a go at the gauges over the weekend :) I can lay my hands on a 12, 20 & 28, so now to source a .410. Only one I can get in .410 at the moment is a Mossberg pump! Not really suitable :D

Okay, now have a chosen charity, it's Demelza their website is Demelza.org.uk charity number 1039651. If you need any information with regards to our involvement in fund raising for them, e.mail: [email protected]
I am trying to get David to attend on the Sunday at prize giving to we can hand over the money we have raised for them.
We are hoping to set up a separate account for donations, details will follow.

Richard,

Great news you can count on my support as a competitor for all 5 guns. Put my name down please.

I would be happy with the entry prices too but have a suggestion as it is very much a charity shoot. NSSA shooters are used to £40 per hundred targets at the big shoots so maybe round up and donate the cash from each gauge per shooter to the charity.

Now just got to find a local hotel for the Friday / Saturday night.....

Thanks for all your comments, will run these through the committee ha ha. With regards to the pricing, what I've done is bringing target prices down to £20 per 100 (normally £24) with the objective of offering a reasonable price for the shooters (we want support) by putting it up to £40 we would then have put ourselves at the same cost as a major BSSA shoot, who can offer much much more in payback and options etc. also, you are making shooters donate, when maybe they would rather not. We want volantary donations. A separate bank account is being opened for donations and cheques payable to "Marsh Smugglers Open" and to be sent to Sarah Gray, who has elected to be the treasurer for the Charity monies. Sarah, by the way is the treasurer for the Kent CPSA. I need to confirm with Sarah that it is okay to give out her address, if not, post will have to come to me.

I will make a list up of local hotels / B&Bs and post them on here in the near future

Thanks again

The following is an e.mail to NSSA and their reply (starts with their reply)

Richard,

To answer your questions, that will be a not to both.

If an expired member renewed now, they would only be good through October 31st, the end of the 2013 shoot year. The shoot you are referring to is in August however, after August 1st members can renew and be good through the 2014 shoot season. So if your expired members want to shoot at that event, please have them renew when going through registration or they can renew online or over the phone with Mary after August 1st to be good through 2014.

As for waving the NSSA fees for the shoot I checked with Linda Mayes, NSSA Director, and she verified that the answer is a no.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Olivia Gracia
NSSA Administrative Assistant
Office: (210) 688-3371 ext. 122
Fax: (210) 688-9269
Follow us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/MyNSSA

Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 2:21 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Olivia Gracia
Subject: RE: Cancel # 141536

Hi Richard,
I have cancelled shoot number 141296.
I am unsure if non-current NSSA members can shoot in a registered event.
I am forwarding the email to Olivia to answer that question and the question about wavering the fees.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Please call or email me if I can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lori Hartmann
NSCA-NSSA Club Secretary
(210) 688-3371 ex. 116
(210) 254-1516 direct line
(210) 688-3014 fax
[email protected]
www.mynsca.org
www.mynssa.org

Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 1:09 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Cancel # 141536

Hi Lori

Many thanks for a quick reply to Pete for our shoot number # 141536
Please cancel shoot # 141296 as this date clashes on the Saturday.

2 questions that you may be able to help me with.
These have been asked of me to put to NSSA and I understand if neither are possible.

1) This shoot (Marsh Smugglers Open) is a fund raising charity shoot for a children's hospice (Demelza). Although this is a registered shoot and there will be prize money, can expired members enter this without rejoining (Targets would not be registered) or if they did rejoin would that be good for 2014.

2) Would NSSA consider waivering the fees for this event, so that we could donate them to the Charity.

Many thanks Lori

Richard

To clarify the part above from Lori: the shoot that has been cancelled is the one that WAS booked for the Saturday only, we have a new number for The Smugglers Open

Marsh Smugglers Open
Bookings now open, call 07831 655414 (early evenings) or e.mails: [email protected] 12 gauge only available on the Saturday at 12.00 Doubles on the Friday, just turn up from 11.00

quick question on this one, I'm pretty sure I can do the Saturday (12 & 20 gauge) what are the cartridge limits? I assume 28 gram for 12 and is it 21 or 24 gram for 20 gauge?

24gram maximum for the 20 gauge.

You can actually use up to 32gram in NSSA 12 gauge events - IF THE GROUND ALLOWS IT!! Always best to check first.

Yes, just to confirm loads for all the gauges: 12ga 32, 20ga 24, 28ga 21 and 410 14 lead and steel allowed, we would prefer shot size 9s but no larger than 7s as the larger shot can rain onto another range.

A suggestion from Fuzrat that all money donations, goes to to Demelza, rather than being split 50 / 50 to Demelza / payback. This is now the format that we will adopt. However, we are still looking for ideas.

Only 3 weeks away. For this event we have use of 3 ranges, all facing north with a good background and newish traps.
BOOKINGS open call me early evenings on 07831 655414. Having a poor response on donations for Demelza, please help, for money, cheques to " Marsh Smugglers Open" (see details on www.oxneyskeet.co.uk) or bring something that we could auction or raffle (if you want). Hope you can make it.

Back