Lovely day beating West Wales

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sian

Just home from spending a lovely day beating in West Wales whilst Tony shot a friend’s pheasant shoot.  Always a good day and I really love watching the dogs work.  It’s not a big bag shoot, 6 guns and today the bag was 46.  Plenty of birds that flew in windy conditions and all the guns enjoyed the day immensely.  Just before we were setting out hail hammered down but then we had a blowy but dry shoot.  The birds were lovely and a good size.  I always get to take family pet a Sealyham Terrier called Willy, such a character and he loves flushing out the birds.  5 drives and on the last drive I was driving the birds that flew the wrong way back over the guns.  I have never run so hard left and right flapping my flag in a field which also contained  two suspicious donkeys who don’t like Willy.  We got a few to turn back.  The meal was delicious, a teal, pheasant and pigeon casserole with mashed potatoes and green beans followed by apple pie and custard.  The port flowed and I partook of a few glasses.  I don’t drink as a rule but his port is always very special.  A few pictures Willy and one of the dogs the host and a picture of the outside of the shootroom.

791D8D05-950D-4641-A470-4280F495B4A7.jpeg

7B4A74B0-8B27-4C17-A7B5-EE7FFE3D549B.jpeg

4958F539-FD7A-4536-A3D8-C3A8D66DFEEE.jpeg

E1779F49-B816-4955-9B48-7FBAD9269CF3.jpeg

Such a lovely place 

96007F9C-E4B2-4D5E-82DF-64489649FEB0.jpeg

Sounds like a fun day.

I agree with salop, small friendly shoots are the best fun. All birds devided between the group and used in the food chain...👍

Love to see the dogs having a good time... 😉

View attachment 7394
That dog Gina ended up at the vets after the shoot having stitches when we realised she had a gash on the inside at the top of her leg.  Happened on the last drive, she just kept going so no-one knew.  She’s okay though.

This is their new pup Whizzie she is the result of an an unplanned pregnancy between a Springer and a Cocker both of whom have impeccable lineage.  She is just beautiful, my picture doesn’t do her justice and such a lovely temperament.  She’s about 13 weeks and fetches and gives up her toy to you when you say say dead.  I could have stolen her without guilt.

4F0C8FB2-224F-46D7-BF1D-819F4D5D9BC5.jpeg

That dog Gina ended up at the vets after the shoot having stitches when we realised she had a gash on the inside at the top of her leg.  Happened on the last drive, she just kept going so no-one knew.  She’s okay though.

This is their new pup Whizzie she is the result of an an unplanned pregnancy between a Springer and a Cocker both of whom have impeccable lineage.  She is just beautiful, my picture doesn’t do her justice and such a lovely temperament.  She’s about 13 weeks and fetches and gives up her toy to you when you say say dead.  I could have stolen her without guilt.

View attachment 7398
Have her, you know you want too 😏

Then you can train her as a working dog and become a lady game shooter 😏

We came back from Welsh Wales yesterday too. We were at some place beginning with L, near Builth Wells  !   We had a very nice week, despite the wet weather. We passed a shoot ongoing yesterday,  just outside a place called Clun. At least it was dry for them too. Hope the spaniel mends quickly, it is amazing how they carry on regardless, despite some horrible looking wounds.

My mates cocker sustained a barbed wire (we assume) injury the other week when pigeon shooting it was only noticed at end of day, a big deep cut on back of neck that needed 8 stitches, the dog showed no signs of  being bothered by it and carried on regardless

My mates cocker sustained a barbed wire (we assume) injury the other week when pigeon shooting it was only noticed at end of day, a big deep cut on back of neck that needed 8 stitches, the dog showed no signs of  being bothered by it and carried on regardless
The same Ips she just carried on, they are certainly tough little things.

Sian, I second the vote you have that little cocker. Even if your not interested in shooting game you may just love picking up or beating. To see dogs working in the field is nothing other than a pleasure  :thumbsup:  Am sure the cats wont mind her on the bed either.

Sian, I second the vote you have that little cocker. Even if your not interested in shooting game you may just love picking up or beating. To see dogs working in the field is nothing other than a pleasure  :thumbsup:  Am sure the cats wont mind her on the bed either.
I would if I didn't work full time and live in suburbia.  When I retire eventually I will think about it.

I would if I didn't work full time and live in suburbia.  When I retire eventually I will think about it.
Ya need to semi retire like i did. I get fed up of enjoying myself 😀

Latest posts

Back