Longthorne - Impressions?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zulu Dave

Has anyone on here shot any of the lovely looking Longthorne guns?  They look more suited to a fancy pants game day, but I would be very interested to hear if anybody has experience shooting them, and in particular, shooting them on a ESP layout. 

I seriously looked at them and spoke to the proprietor. Lovely looking and it seems very solidly made. Love the barrel manufacturing concept (all one piece). Perazzi money for a special English jewel, all very appealing to me.

My worry, for use as a serious clay competition gun, is that they don't yet have experience in this market. They say they can make anything "but lighter is better". Hmm..

Thats exactly my thoughts Clever.  Loved the HPX too, but by the time you've added a bit of prettiness....££ get added too. 

My problem is that they don't really have the sporter I want to try. Something a bit close maybe? But you would need to commission one and then hope it was right. Wrong time to play about like this as I'm still progressing nicely and don't need an unnecessary self enforced crisis. :)

'&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

'&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Thanks IPS.  I had read this, and found it interesting.  I was just wondering if anybody had any actual experience shooting a full ESP layout and more.  Seems not though. 

Worth a gamble?  

Im not sure Im that keen on more debt yet. 

They would need to make a perfect sporter and give it to a great shot to show it working. Then the confidence would grow for us investing folks. But they may have enough business with the game crowd..

Wesley may be able to shed some light as I believe there are a couple of long owners shoot at his regular club.

Yes that's correct ips. One of the guys from Longthorne is there most Sundays and has one of their guns which although a game model, still shoots clays very well. I feel certain that anyone wanting to try a Longthorne, could do so any Sunday morning at Ribble Bank (formerley Webton) at Hesketh Bank, near Southport. Although primarily a 50 birder, go around twice or double up on the stands and it becomes 100 birds (that was without the aide of a calculator). I feel certain that if you expressed an interest in trying the gun, arrangements could be made which suited both parties. Hey, who knows this may be the future 'L' gun !

P.S. I have shot 2 of the guns at sporting targets and although a touch light (I am shooting an 'M' gun trap), I felt that I could have used one for either clays or game. I did feel that I had to work  at keeping it swinging, but excellent trigger and no perceptable recoil. After the first few shots I was dusting the crossers without thinking. I do not think it was a great deal lighter that the Miroku, just better balanced. In my extremely humble opinion, I think that this gun is up there with some of the top English names in Gunmaking, it just does not have a 100 + years reputation behind it. BUT and it is a BIG BUT, it IS made here in the UK, unlike MOST of the other 'English' guns. Er..........................NO, I have no association with the Company other than I really like their guns. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Trouble is you need the proper tool for the job, developed by those that know what the job really is.

I was given a go with a Purdey o/u 12g gun intended for clays. I think they sell for £30,000, which coincidentally is the annual figure you would need to pay me to shoot one all the time.

The difference is, I believe that Longthorne would be prepared to make a gun that was comparable to what you currently use, in full consultation with yourself, whereas Purdey etc have more of a "well, there it is, take it or leave it" attitude. Simply because, one gun is made here from scratch, whilst the others are made in Italy and are therefore a bit harder to alter to your spec. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is, I believe that Longthorne would be prepared to make a gun that was comparable to what you currently use, in full consultation with yourself, whereas Purdey etc have more of a "well, there it is, take it or leave it" attitude.
You are right. They have said as much; but remain sceptical about it needing to weigh almost 9lb. So if they made this gun, it would be their first best guess at weight distribution of so much mass, without really agreeing with why they are doing it. I would be happy to help them develop one, but paying full money for their first attempt..??

I still think Longthorne are worth a punt because they will make it to your spec including, crucially, weight plus of course balance points, rib, stock type etc etc. If the gun fails to please it'd be as much to do with you than them, the only weak link for me is whether the action arrangement has longevity. 

I still think Longthorne are worth a punt because they will make it to your spec including, crucially, weight plus of course balance points, rib, stock type etc etc. If the gun fails to please it'd be as much to do with you than them, the only weak link for me is whether the action arrangement has longevity.
Yes, my conversation was "I need a gun that weighs and feels exactly like my Perazzi"

I would ask one question then, would you find another Perazzi that weighs and 'feels' just like your own gun ? I personally think not, unless Perazzi made an EXACT copy of your gun. I have even shot 'matched' pairs where  the No.1 gun was totally different in weight and balance to it's twin. Wood density, balance even minute trigger pull differences can all make a gun 'feel' different. Like any 'different' gun it will take at least 1000 rounds for it to become a part of YOU.

Whoever is lucky enough to be in that position can do a lot worse than base their gun on an old favourite that they know they can shoot well, the next nice problem will be learning to shoot it.

All valid points.  And the concept of making the gun to one that I liked and know is also great, except that I have no real idea what would actually help me shoot better.  Heavier, longer barrels? lighter faster gun?

I think that Longthornes could be worth a punt, as long as they we're prepared to stand by a customer if anything did go slightly skew.  My latest Continual English gun and their supplier have done anything but that, leaving a bloody awful rase in my mouth.

Spoke to the man with the 'Longthorne' gun today and he has confirmed that anyone contacting them would be more than welcome to try the demo models first.

Latest posts

Back