Lightweight 12 bore for a teenager

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niloticus1

Hi,

My 15 year old nephew is outgrowing his Yildiz 28 bore (and I'm becoming increasingly horrified at the cost of the shells...).

He's a bit of a beanpole and can't really manage a heavyweight clay gun. I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight 12 for him to start off on 21gm cartridges. The gun must be multichoke, preferably with a chromed bore.

I don't want to move to 20 bore, simply because the shells cost so much more than 12 bore(and kick more).

Would be grateful for any suggestions (why don't we see more 12 bore Yildiz guns??). Looking for guns that have a suitable spec and we'll sort out fit later.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Guerini Tiempo Light
post-1903-0-15358100-1392491491.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks guys, will definitely take a look at the lauronas and the Yildiz (still suspect a conspiracy to keep their 12s off the shelves to protect the big boys:)....

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I would argue against anything that is light like the Beretta Ultralight as they don't have the weight to absorb the recoil.  My daughter hired one and it kicked like a mule even with 24 gram shells and she is seriously fit and strong.  I have since bought a S/H Beretta Silver Pigeon which my nephew has shot as a 14/15 year old with 21, 24 and 28 gram shells with no problem and he is a bit of a beanpole.  The stock has had an inch taken off it however.

I had a Baikal 627 when I was 15. Slightly shorter stock than normal off the shelf, pretty light, chromed barrels, single trigger but only fixed choke I believe. I loved it to pieces, £200 brand new then and never missed a beat.

Absolutely correct, but he asked for examples of lightweight guns for sale. 
Quite right but I'm just suggesting to him that that might not be a good idea.  I would say that there are light, medium and heavy 12 bores.  I think he should be looking at medium weight 12 bores and not game weight guns which are at the light end of the spectrum be they called light or ultralight.

The best thing is obviously to buy from somewhere where any gun can be tried first before the purchase is concluded.

Balance is key, weight soaks the recoil 26/28" game style gun cut down the stock (this is where the balance gets all wrong and barrel heavy even on light as a feather gun, and this makes them feel heavy) and fit a good recoil pad. Then as he grows you can have the off cut put back on. Plenty of basic guns around £3-500 mark why worry about chrome lining and multichoke? In 3-4 years he'll need another gun.... Or got distracted by beer and broads....

I own a Beretta Ultralight and can tell you they are beautifully balanced and do not kick like a mule if the gun fits you. I shoot 24gram at clays without any felt recoil whatsoever and I only weigh in at 11stone. 28 grams is not a problem at all and I have shot 32g at game shoots although that load is a bit punchy. Gun fit is the secret and mine fits me perfectly.

Any gun will do, it is the front end weight he will struggle with rather than overall weight per se. You can get weights added to the stock to bring the balance to the rear and so take felt weight off the front arm.

The Lincoln guns can be rather light and not break the bank.

Franchi Falconet 12 bore. Malmo guns (Lancaster)  did have a couple on their shelf.
I was going to suggest the Falconet. I learned on one, but they weren't around when I was shopping. A friend has one and I'm amazed at how light it feels.

I like the Browning Cynergy, but even the Browning rep told me not to buy one.

I agree about the cynergy, horrible gun. A few Falconets about, second hand. 26" or 28" fixed choke barrels, weigh around 6lbs. 3ozs. the same weight as a Beretta 20 bore. I was teaching a young lady with a Falconet that I had bought for that purpose. Used with up to 24 gram cartridges, recoil was never an issue. Her Dad persuaded me to sell him the gun, which he gave her as Christmas present. She is now almost as good as Dad and loves the gun, she is 15 years old.

Back