Length of pull?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Hopkins

About to fit a new isis xpad 23mm thick which will add unwanted length really so may need to reduce the stock length a tad

Thing is do I use the the old tried and trusted system to establish what this should be i.e finger comfortable on trigger and butt pad resting in elbow joint or is there another rule of thumb...

About to fit a new isis xpad 23mm thick which will add unwanted length really so may need to reduce the stock length a tad

Thing is do I use the the old tried and trusted system to establish what this should be i.e finger comfortable on trigger and butt pad resting in elbow joint or is there another rule of thumb...
That's not the way to do it Shaun. When the gun is mounted there you should be able to put three fingers between the tip of your nose and the thumb of your hand.

If you need help let me know.

The trouble with the elbow to finger approach is there is quite a lot of tollerance, you can make most stocks look as though they fit using this method if you get my drift.... Struggling to explain what I mean after several days of mulled wine abuse due to an onslaught of visiting arseholes over Christmas!

Does the gun currently have any pad fitted? I would 'feel' your way and mount infront of a mirror, ideally get an experienced and trusted person to have a look at you too. I've recently fitted a couple of Isis pads after using kickeez, Pachmayer, limbsaver and everything in between. They are brilliant, very very impressed, good choice sir.

Hi Shaun,

The method you mention is an excellent way of gauging the length of the bones in your fore-arm. Sadly it bears no correlation to a good gun fit. File this one under "Old wives tales" and discard immediately!

If your gun with the current pad is the right length for you, then just work out how much you have to remove or add to keep it the same with the new pad. Sounds like Hotshot100 can offer some help. Seek some hands-on advice before revving up the saw!!  :biggrin:

Shaun, how much is the new pad going to add to the LOP? There isn't really a hard and fast rule, even the three finger rule is very subjective. I would be tempted to fit the pad and go and shoot it, see how it feels before removing anything off the stock.

This method is flawed shaun however it will give you a bench mark. Not sure about sporting lop but for trap i prefer as short as possible. I have various beretta pads so i fit the shortest 1st and if my thumb hits my nose on recoil i start working my way up until it doesn't then that is the the right lop. I have found that different guns require different lop so just because for instance a 14 and half lop is right on lets say a 682 does not mean it will be right on a DT as the comb height and grip etc has an effect.

Shaun, how much is the new pad going to add to the LOP? There isn't really a hard and fast rule, even the three finger rule is very subjective. I would be tempted to fit the pad and go and shoot it, see how it feels before removing anything off the stock.
+1 Exactly what he said! I would give it a good try out with it longer before you touch the timber.

Don't worry too much about it. Length of pull is the one measurement that isn't critical to performance. Providing it's not too long or short it's fine.

Matt.

Current length of pull is 15" new pad takes this up to 15 1/5" problem being is the stock has always felt right on the limit for my style added to that winter clothing and another half inch and you can see the problem and whilst I am aware summer will eventually return I guess we all adapt to going slightly shorter then being just way to long.

just out of curiosity if you were to use the old system I mention on your gun fit how do you feel it would fare?  

That's not the way to do it Shaun. When the gun is mounted there you should be able to put three fingers between the tip of your nose and the thumb of your hand.

If you need help let me know.
Thanks Roger have always struggled to consistently get my head forward enough and with the prospect of another half inch (steady on ladies :spiteful:  ) I feel this will just compound the problem.  

My Dt10 was a tadge under 15" lop and always felt right but as mentioned by IPS different guns will not always transfer measurements as one would assume. 

Shaun, if it is adding that much you can adjust your shooting stance slightly, so turn your shoulders a little more edge on to the target, this will effectively shorten the LOP, if you turn the other way so your shoulders are square to the target this effectively lengthens the LOP. Its a tricky thing to get right without seeing it all in the flesh, using the elbow method, my stock fits very tightly in the crook of the elbow, it is probably the right length now.

Thanks Roger have always struggled to consistently get my head forward enough and with the prospect of another half inch (steady on ladies :spiteful:  ) I feel this will just compound the problem.  

My Dt10 was a tadge under 15" lop and always felt right but as mentioned by IPS different guns will not always transfer measurements as one would assume. 
building-steampunk-hand-cannon-part-1-make-wooden-gun-stock.w654.jpg

normal_PIE-fraction3:4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea chain saw has just been put back in the garage. :spiteful:   But in all seriousness I have a tendency to stand a bit square on but even so without anything removed the stock will measure 15 1/2" does this seem a bit on the long side?

Great idea chain saw has just been put back in the garage. :spiteful:   But in all seriousness I have a tendency to stand a bit square on but even so without anything removed the stock will measure 15 1/2" does this seem a bit on the long side?
Definitely. I think we'll get a better idea of what's needed after Sunday.

The reason I suggested taking 3/4 of an inch off.  If you were previously at 15 inches and this felt a touch long, then as you say 15.5 will cause problems with the mount, will (likely) lower your eye/rib relationship (unless you have adj. or parallel comb) which could cause head lift and eye dominance changes and all sorts of nasty stuff...apart from just feeling "odd".

So by removing said 3/4 of an inch, then this should put you around 14 3/4.  which can easily be "spaced up" to nearer 15 if you need to, but equally will allow room for extra layers and generally,give you a slightly shorter LOP, which should hopefully make you feel more more "at one, with gun".

You cant expect to have been shooting a gun at 15 inches, then add another 1/2 inch and not notice some issues...particularly is the original length was possibly too long.

It worked for me when I fitted my full ISIS2. The slightly shorter LOP I have, works for me.

Thanks Gary  IMO that is exactly the route I was going to take its always good to ask for opinions just to make sure there is nothing I might be missing

Taking Hotshot100s browning out sunday to greenfields as its a bit shorter in length and has a coomb raiser  just to see how I get on.

i have to respectfully disagree, lop imo can have a quite dramatic effect on speed of gun swing and is therefore a critical measurement.

Madmat

again i am compelled to respectfully disagree, altering ones stance or indeed gun mount to accommodate a badly fitting gun is imo a road to trouble.

Shaun

if its too long then there is only one option and that is to shorten it. Even 15" sounds long to me unless you are 6'5" and or have a giraffe like neck. Having said that a lot depends on your style, if you shoot bolt upright you will need a shorter lop than if you are the type of shooter to lean well fwd into the mount. Obviously i don't know your physique or style so cannot say categorically what lop will suit but do not repeat do not try to accommodate too long a stock for the sake of a saw cut.

Just my opinion of course. And as ever i emphasise my advice is based on my knowledge of trap, sporting may differ.

Latest posts

Back