Kent New Boy

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibaldib

I thought I would take the time to introduce myself, having been lurking and reading as many posts as I could, since joining the forum a couple of weeks ago.

Sadly well past fifty years old now, I have been predominantly a game/rough shooter for the past forty odd years. I also do a fair bit of pest control in the summer with rifles.

So as not to start the game season in my traditional way (opening the shotgun cabinet and taking out the gun I put away at the end of January, then missing the majority of birds for the first two shoots before getting my eye back in) I decided to do a bit of clay shooting.

Based in North Kent, I have access to West Kent Shooting School and Dartford Clay Club and I have visited both recently to try and improve my shooting. Together with a couple of lads from the shoot we have also attended Robin Hood and yesterday a 100 bird shoot at Abbey, Detling.

I have now been bitten by the clay shooting bug and would like to improve my shooting, as I am presently recording very average (low) scores.

I know it is the shooter and not the gun and I am presently using a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 Field model, which should do the job until I progress a bit more. Despite much advice that ranges from “skeet and skeet will kill anything” to ” ¾ and ¾ are the best for sporting” I have decided to stick with my game choking of ¼ and ½ for the time being.

I would like to get a more dedicated clay gun, but have promised myself not to do this until my scores start improving.

If there are any members of the forum who shoot at the above Sunday shoots and would be prepared to impart ten minutes of advice whilst standing behind me, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Richard

Welcome aboard Richard - enjoy ShootClay - any questions, about the site - please let me know.

I know that we have some Kent members who are probably familiar with the shoots you mention...

Hi Richard, :)

I very nearly went to Abbey yesterday :cool: , don't do Dartford often as their Sporting side is practice only it seems. If you see me around by all means introduce yourself and I'd be delighted to do a round.

Thank you for your welcome. If there are any more members in my area, I would love to buy you a cup of coffee at a shoot and pick your brains.

Richard

If I was nearer my Housekeeper would glady stand behind you, and give sound advice as to how things should be done as I know all too well.

:rolleyes:

Hi Richard, I'm also new to shooting and loving it have been shooting in Kent yet but I'm only down in Brighton. Would like to shoot in Northall as heard its a good place in Kent.

Hi Richard!

Good to see you have the bug for clays.

I sometimes shoot Dartford (Skeet mainly), but can more often be found at Detling, Robin Hood (the owner is a friend of mine) and one you didn't mention, but should know about...JJ's. JJ's is near Bluewater and is a great shoot, very friendly, good targets, great prices. Try Googling JJ's CSC and you will find it.

West Kent is not open at weekends and is a little pricey for my liking, but they do have some great coaches available if you wanted some lessons.

If you ever fancied meeting up with me and my shooting partner (he's pretty new and over 50 too!) then I would be happy to give you some pointers.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Richard!

Good to see you have the bug for clays.

I sometimes shoot Dartford (Skeet mainly), but can more often be found at Detling, Robin Hood (the owner is a friend of mine) and one you didn't mention, but should know about...JJ's. JJ's is near Bluewater and is a great shoot, very friendly, good targets, great prices. Try Googling JJ's CSC and you will find it.

West Kent is not open at weekends and is a little pricey for my liking, but they do have some great coaches available if you wanted some lessons.

If you ever fancied meeting up with me and my shooting partner (he's pretty new and over 50 too!) then I would be happy to give you some pointers.

Cheers

Gary
Hi Gary,

I'm going to Robin Hood this weekend. As I haven't posted enough yet I cannot send you a message, so maybe you could message me if you are going?

It would be great to put a face to a name.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Gary,

I'm going to Robin Hood this weekend. As I haven't posted enough yet I cannot send you a message, so maybe you could message me if you are going?

It would be great to put a face to a name.

Cheers

Richard
Will do mate. If in doubt just ask Phil to point out Gary Skeet!

Latest posts

Back