Is it wrong to want an Air Rifle

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it I'm afraid mate! Will be a lovely k80 for sale at the end of the year though :)

Ed's offer is tough to beat but without that I'd have advised you to get a HW95 with 6x40 fixed scope as your first gun. Once you get good with that you move on to PCP's which are better but need a bit more experience, not least because of the charging and (in unregulated ones) sweet spot issues. 

Got a good daystate you can have jem, don't get a chance to use it now. Single shot pre charged .22 with scope the lot.
Take it and give it back when your done, no rush!!
That's a belting offer from Ed, I'd snap his hand off - what a thoroughly decent chap.

Nothing wrong with owning or wanting to own an air rifle, I've got 3 - an AirArms S400 Classic in .22 walnut stock, beautiful piece of kit and an S300 carbine in .177. Both the AirArms are very well put together but my favourite is the HW35 deluxe springer I was given for my 15th birthday many moons ago, that's a classic.

Beautiful place you're moving to and all the best for yor future there.

Iggy.

I have two. BSA Standard underlever from 1913 and a BSA Standard Junior break barrel from 1930. Both in .177. They are nearly as old as me, but in a lot better nick.

Phil*

I live in the middle of 3/4 acre with loads of bloody laylandiia (or however you spell the damned things) which woodies like to nest in. 

I bought a cheap gas powered air rifle for about £80 plus  cheap scope which does the job beautifully - runs on those cartridges you put in the old soda syphons (for those of us that remember them).

Used to have a beat up old airsporter when I was a kid.....being a springer it cost nothing to run and didnt need a car load of accessories....had an awful old scope but i still managed to turn 300 acres into a wasteland with it........Its been 25 years and still the RAbbits are only just moving back in.......hehehehe....

I have an Air Arms S400F Classic in .177 which I use for target shooting, very accurate and reliable gun. Made in England as well, no less (aside from the stock I think). For knocking down pigeons you probably want a multishot variety, so the S410 or S510 even, depends on your budget. If you want to know more about that, watch huntersvermin on YouTube... loads of vermin shooting with various air rifles.

The PCP reservoir in the S400F has enough for about 70-80 shots on a single fill (180 bar-ish).

Daystates are creme-de-la-creme, but with a price tag to match.

I have a Birmingham made Webley Longbow unbadged from SFS no name on it was one of fifty from Webley Tony was to develop it into a Phantom, he only did thirty. My one is sleeping. It has now a .22 shrouded Venom barrel added to it. Just sleeping until it goes to V Mach to have the full late Steve Pope business worked on it by his son. It's been sleeping nearly ten years now.

Spring air rifles.

Look at the shiny shiny.

I have had a daystate and didnt think it was any better than my AA 400.

Anyway a good springer is the way to go unless your competing at field target then you need a laminate stock with spirit levels and dangly feathers oh and you will need yer little comfy cushion :)

Theoben sirocco break barrel with a gas strut used to be the tool to have when i was a kid! I had a weihrauch HW77K underlever very good piece if kit too!

Last edited by a moderator:
either that or I can report that a 90 grain 25-06 delivering 2200 ft lbs does give exceptionally humane kills on rabbits and squirrels (on the ground of course!)...and you dont need to cock it or carry scuba gear around with you.......

Couple of years ago i had a rat problem due to next door feeding birds etc, i bought a Daystate Air wolf, then a HW 100 and finally a AA410, plus air bottle and scopes.

Do get a bit obsessed sometimes.

In the end i bought a rat trap cage and had to catch and shoot them, not nice but they had to go. Caught five in one weekend.

Point is, there are some lovely made Air rifles around and the technology since i had a springer in the 70's is amazing.

In the end i didn't have any where to use them so i reluctantly sold them and purchased my Shotguns.

12lbs is ok but 20lbs would be a lot better for hunting etc unless you are a marksman. Incidently the 12lbs was introduced by the manufactures in the UK years ago to discourage the foreign competion, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Latest posts

Back