Interesting take on the centre bead

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ian & Les Just back from shooting so not had a lot of time to catch up on the thread! I am afraid I nearly always check my eye alignment down the rib essentially because of my eye dominance issues. Its a belt and braces job I just have to know my right eye is doing the work and not the left, and I am not happy until it is proved so.

On another issue but relevant to todays shooting I tried out some 24g cartridges today and to be honest I shot just as bad with both 24s and 28s managed to hit 18, 19, 15 and 19. Quite a bit disappointed because I think I know why I am missing a lot of the targets. I am moving my gun too quickly before I have a good sight of the target. On one round I missed five of the first ten and after giving myself internal verbal battering cleaned the rest up. I am using the 24s to try and feel less tired after three rounds by reducing recoil but to be honest I never detected much difference between the two! I don't know if its worth the extra cost because weirdly the 24s are more expensive!

I have to admit that there are a number of ATA shooters (others too ref double trap) that obsess about ribs and beads and that crap.  Usually the less successful ones I've noticed.

I agree that a properly fit stock makes "alignment" a non-issue.  And rib height proper is just as meaningless so long as it is not so high to block the vision.  Comb height and its relationship to the muzzle is really all that counts.  That presumes a properly aligned and regulated pair of barrels of course.  My current fave gun has an additional two sets of barrels that I scored off classifieds.  All three barrels are different lengths (70cm, 72cm, 75cm) and have different height ribs and the view over the top of them is radically different.  But they all shoot to the same POI because the muzzles are all effectively in the same place relative to the comb.

Actually it's always good for a yuk to listen to the ATAers yap about ribs and beads and ports and bore jobs, etc.  Maybe one in a K has actually engaged a brain and thot about what they're saying.  Seems like their gun smarts is about even with their political smarts for the most part.  I'd feel sorry for them it they weren't such .....................   :crazy:

ah well         best not get started on that, eh?       

Wonko I think you have hit the nail on the bonce if your gun fits and you have a reproducible mount the everything else is a given. I have to say I cannot do that because of my eye situation I really am not confident unless I know I am looking with the correct eye down the rib, but of course this is all in set up after that the gun gets swung and the trigger pulled when the sight picture looks right. I was shooting on a squad today with the runner up in the UT WC's he too has eye dominance issues but gets round it by closing his off eye... and is very effective three 25,s for him today out of 5 rounds others were 24's. I just get too tired of doing that though I prefer both eyes open when I shoot so put a bit of tape over the lens of my shooting glasses to work round it, thus my reluctance to shoot without checking my eye down the rib.

John

whatever works for you mate i have no experience of eye dominance so can't comment.

wonko

exactly my point if gun fits then plonk cheek on stock job done.

Just had a thought.

If you mount a centre bead gun and check your mount and have to alter your position then one thing for sure your gun does not fit. End of.

You should be able to plonk cheek o stock and be spot on everytime otherwise stock is wrong fit. IMO i could not be arsed to have to keep checking if i am right much more important things to concentrate on like seeing the target.

Exactly, beretta and perazzi don't fit mid beads on there trap guns apart from the DTX which was / is aimed at ATA anyway. Them there yanks like a centre bead apparently.
Sorry Ian but Perazzi definitely do fit mid beads to the MX range I have seen any number of them on gun sites over here! That is not to say it is an addition to the spec though? I could post pics of a number od MX 8's and 11's with a mid bead!

Hi John

i stand corrected then i did not know they fitted mid beads certainly never seen any but i admit i am not a P expert.

Hi John

i stand corrected then i did not know they fitted mid beads certainly never seen any but i admit i am not a P expert.
I think P will do what ever you want to be honest, they are taking your cash after all :) However there is the possibility that they have been fitted by an after market gunsmith  but I have seen many of them fitted.

I´ve seen a couple of new Berettas (692 Trap) in the last few weeks and they all had a mid bead.

All the Berettas and Perazzis I owned came without a mid bead, I always got a gunsmith to put them on for me. My DT11 does not have a mid bead, I'm trying to wean myself off the things!

There like adj combs mate, they are the work of the devil IMO :)

There like adj combs mate, they are the work of the devil IMO :)
I'm in trouble with my guns then, both have adjustable combs and mid beads! Although only one has multi-chokes, the other, trap gun, is fixed, but does have a nice soft comb on it though.

I'm in trouble with my guns then, both have adjustable combs and mid beads! Although only one has multi-chokes, the other, trap gun, is fixed, but does have a nice soft comb on it though.
I wouldn't worry too much mate!!!! If you shoot them OK then no need to worry! I'm still getting used to my DT11 with no mid bead, but I realised that if I just put in up to my shoulder and cheek where it feels comfortable, without forcing my face down hard on the comb, then it seems to work fine, but I've no idea of how much rib I'm seeing on it though!

As long as your not a serial fiddler like Les and I then you will be ok mate :)

We don't seem to be able to leave well alone that's the problem. I knew I was losing the plot when about 2 yrs ago with an adjustable DT10 I found myself adjusting the comb mid line (was pratice) now that cannot be good :)

As long as your not a serial fiddler like Les and I then you will be ok mate :)

We don't seem to be able to leave well alone that's the problem. I knew I was losing the plot when about 2 yrs ago with an adjustable DT10 I found myself adjusting the comb mid line (was pratice) now that cannot be good :)
The post was mainly made in jest forgot to add the :biggrin:

Combs are set and left alone, made up spacers for the posts so that I always have a referrence point if I change, say to use the trap gun for sporting or skeet. Although  I have made adjustments, as I have lost 11kG in weight recently and I found i need to move the comb over to the right more to line up the beads correctly. Also as it is winter now I have raised the comb height on the sporter by about slightly to compensate for the additional clothing pushing the gun further out and as such my head was lower on the comb.

Kevin Brennan solved the winter clothing problem... Cut a neat oval hole in his jacket shoulder.

Kevin Brennan solved the winter clothing problem... Cut a neat oval hole in his jacket shoulder.
Sounds a great idea Fred!!!! I must say though, that a few extra mm of clothing never really had any impact on me, other than too much makes me feel restricted.

Back