Ideal shotgun weight

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportinclays

Hi folks.

I've been messing around with the weight & balance point of my kemen sporter. 30"

Just wanted to get an idea of other sporting shooters ideal weight and balance point. I know most shotguns are a little muzzle heavy but not being a big bloke I like the balance point slightly behind the hinge pin (stock heavy) so I added some weight to the stock. I seem to be getting on better with it now but it's now a tad over 9lb.

Your thoughts please

Ypu have answered your own question. Your happier with it so it's right for you.

Ps

I love kemen they shoot fabulous.

That sounds good to me. Probably doesn't want to be any heavier, but feel (of where the weight is) is important and slightly overrides total weight for importance IMO.

It also makes a lot of difference WHERE the weight is in/on the stock. Gun balance is a personnel thing. Being stock heavy can/could cause the muzzles to flip more on the first barrel. Just something to be aware of

Hi folks.

I've been messing around with the weight & balance point of my kemen sporter. 30"

Just wanted to get an idea of other sporting shooters ideal weight and balance point. I know most shotguns are a little muzzle heavy but not being a big bloke I like the balance point slightly behind the hinge pin (stock heavy) so I added some weight to the stock. I seem to be getting on better with it now but it's now a tad over 9lb.

Your thoughts please
Optimum balance and weight distribution will vary from make to make and almost certainly even gun to gun of same model and dimensions. It seems you've arrived at a good compromise so the next step is learning to shoot the gun and getting accustomed to how it performs.

The way I judge a guns balance is how effortless it is to shoot well and score with, you need to see how it reacts on a variety of target angles and speeds, I've known guns be mustard on crossers and driven but hard work on quartering birds. If you come across a situation where a given gun appears to need to be driven and controlled (I've had that too), then it may be time to experiment.

Subtle changes to hold points and method can also help, in other words as long as the basic recipe is right you should in time gel.

Been through massive reminder session lately that once the balance feels about right, there is just a ton of importance in getting used to it. You will adapt to it, quirks and all, but familiarity is a huge necessity.

my bog standard 725  bought new with trap forend  is 8 pounds 2 ounces ,   balance feels good   no felt recoil    superb trigger pulls    ok I digress   but surely the manufacturer  knows best  ,    tweaking is lack of confidence   ?    ok  im off   :nyam:   

Can't say Iv ever picked up a gun that was too heavy picked up a lot of guns that were too lite

Yes westley agreed, but I'm not going to shoot I lite gun until I'm forced to, I don't see any advantage in shooting a lite gun unless rough shooting

my bog standard 725  bought new with trap forend  is 8 pounds 2 ounces ,   balance feels good   no felt recoil    superb trigger pulls    ok I digress   but surely the manufacturer  knows best  ,    tweaking is lack of confidence   ?    ok  im off   :nyam:
Most off the shelf guns are designed for the average man. I don't know what that is but it's not me anyway. My gun had it's barrel weight & stock made to suit the customer. that also wasn't me as I bought it 2nd or 3rd hand.

It's not a lack of confidence to get fitted for a stock & IMO it's no different to tweaking the weight & balance of a gun to suit body size. I kno lots of people buy an off the shelf gun & shoot well with it so yes it works, but who's to say I couldn't be better?

It's all subjective, but for me my DT 10 weighed 8 pound 6 oz picked up a new summit ascent in the shop and it felt just right so bought it. Then when I got it home I weighed it and to my surprise that was 8 pound 6 oz as well so I guess I like 8 pound 6oz :)

The DT 10 was a slightly rear bias the ascent slightly forward so I put some weight in the stock to make the ascent the same. Obviously the gun weighed more but it didn't feel as good so I took it out.

I like both guns equally but the DT 10 suits the rear bias and the ascent suits the forward bias, I have decide to stop thinking about the reasons why this is the case and just enjoy shooting them now. :)

Nothing got to do with recoil I don't shoot lite guns well I just find the heaver the gun the smoother I shoot

My DT11 was 9lb 6oz! It balanced 20mm behind the pin. Hardly a conventional weight or balance, so I was definitely going to play with that! It's now about 3 oz lighter overall after most of the huge lump of lead has been removed from the stock and lighter chokes fitted. Because the 3oz is all from the extreme ends of the gun, the feel is very different now.

My 32" 682 gold e weighs 7lb 12oz with a trap stock its one of the very early lightweight models. It was 7lb 10oz with a sporter stock. It must be one of the lightest 32" gun around.

Back