Hobby or Obsession

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley

I primarily shoot to vent off, relax and have some “me time” after a stressful time during the week at work.

See for me shooting is a Hobby and only ever will be.

A few years back i got obsessed with spring gun shooting and wanted the UK title so bad i could taste it, but on reflection having a young family, i realised that any free time i had was dedicated to practice, and not to my lovely wife or young boy, who is so understanding it makes me feel guilty when i look back.

Im happy to have a few lessons, learn some on here, and enjoy myself, I won’t shoot when its raining, as that’s not fun, im not interested in politics or pettiness, again that’s not fun either, I just look forward to enjoying a morning out with some mates,taking the piss, or even on my own shooting a round or two with complete strangers, but i come away feeling almost refreshed.

What stage would you say you’re at with regards to shooting, has it become more than just a hobby, has it grown out of control?

I can appreciate there are some on here who shoot professionally, but for the everyday club/weekend shooter where do you fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harley, If it starts to become obsessive it's possibly time to stand back and take a deep breath.

I think you have already described clay shooting adequately yourself as having a good time.

Obviously some take it a lot more seriously than others,you have to be serious about doing it to the best of your ability and wanting to improve otherwise it's all a waste of time.

For me it's a hobby I'm serious about.

Vic.

Vic, the reason for my post was someone (no name no pack drill) ;) who seem to be obsessed and had to shoot regardless , it made me think to what extent would we go..

Yes its easy to get onto a treadmill which is how I feel about my target shooting at present. I have to shoot team league targets by laid down dates regardless of the weather and other things in my life. I have already committed to the winter season so I'm finding it a struggle to get to do some clay shooting - stll when I retire next year I will have more opportunity!

I imagine that those who are sponsored are expected to do a minimum amount of shooting to fulfill their agreements.

Also not everyone will be married with families and kids, there will be a complete age profile on this forum.

I see where you are wanting to go with this Harley, I love shooting and always will, mainly I need to get out and see some green stuff. I am not from Glasvegas but spent all my life round Loch Lomond. Until I moved here I was out with a gun several days a week round the farm etc, never always had to pull the trigger everytime though. So at the weekend I'd rather be wandering the hills with a gun than clays. so this Saturday morning I am down at the farm for a wander then Sunday clays.

I still want to be better at the clays and know I can be, Just need to want it more than I do for now. Just now I am happy learning clays all over again.

Obsession for me. I spend every waking minute thinking about 2 things, shooting and something else.

Mr Potter

For the enjoyment of the sport itself. The fluffy rabbits, bacon rolls, and tea.

Two sides to every sport, its where they merge is when it gets difficult.

I wonder how much enjoyment a 'competitive' person gets who does not shoot very well, compared to a 'non-competitive' person who shoots really well.

So who put the "fluffy rabbits" in??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I have one for my tea tonight, as it happens!

It spurs you on to the next competition to be better!!

If it does not.......then give up and enjoy the Sunday pinging :))))

Life is too short for it to become a toil and it is too expensive to be unhappy :))))

Yes its easy to get onto a treadmill which is how I feel about my target shooting at present. I have to shoot team league targets by laid down dates regardless of the weather and other things in my life. I have already committed to the winter season so I'm finding it a struggle to get to do some clay shooting - stll when I retire next year I will have more opportunity!

I imagine that those who are sponsored are expected to do a minimum amount of shooting to fulfill their agreements.

Also not everyone will be married with families and kids, there will be a complete age profile on this forum.
Eley Postal etc and Polar Bear?

Certainly my favorite hobby...I don't have the time or money to be truly obsessive about it, but I am serious about it..as VicW said.

BTW...what you up to this weekend Harley?

Hard to put a name to it, but obsessive is closer than hobby for me. I have a sense of perspective, in the sense that I know I need to go to work rather than spend half the week practicing, but get pretty grumpy if I know I will not shoot at the weekend. Always tracked my scores average. Never go a day without thinking about it. I even go on some sad shooting forum all the time!

I shoot almost every weekend and really enjoy pinging as Nicola puts it, and have done for the last 40 years, Its easy to get obsessed about your scores or handicap, and beat yourself up if you have a bad shoot, I think that takes some of the enjoyment out of it, your introducing stress and shooting is supposed to be enjoyable

, I think it’s about finding a balance between shooting/ family / work etc and not let it go to your head. If you shoot well enjoy the moment, and if not well there is always next time.

Mick.

Definately hobby for me, I do enjoy it but can easily lay the gun down for a few months when I fancy a break. Don't mind missing weekends out, unless it's a big shoot.

I have yet to find anyone who enjoys shooting bad, no matter what level! I enjoy being competitive, be it shooting snooker, fishing or in the gym (I can just about remember what one looks like).

Given a choice to do one thing, it would be fishing!

@Skeet I'm shooting sat morning, then sat afternoon, Sunday morning and again afternoon, I'm currently looking for a flood lit skeet club for evening shooting..

No but seriously I've not shot since Ed's tuition, not been to well..

An obsessive hobby......

I love doing it, even when I do it like a one-armed blind man! :D And I don't beat myself up when it goes wrong, cuz there's always next time. Over the last 6 months, I'm averaging 1500 shots a month, practice and comp, and if I could afford it, I'd shoot every pigging day of the week!!! :cool:

Once the cheque from tonight's Euro Millions clears, I'm building a shooting ground like no other....!! I might even invite one or two other people occasionally! :.: :p

Addict, not a very good addict but addict all the same, now going cold turkey as I try not to shoot in rain and that's all we've had last two weeks,

Latest posts

Back