Higher comb sporting stocks

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would always go for to high rather than to low. To high and you still stand a good chance hitting the clay, to low and having your left eye take over means no chance of hitting the clay.

Or right eye take over if your one of those weird left handed people.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so now I have fitted a £1 coin on the rib of my Beretta.  Do I need to notify my Insurance Company, as I have just doubled the gun's value ???

Strangely, way too much rib for me. If you moved that coin back to the top lever, that's about right for me.

All this "floating" the clay business must drive you all mad trying to remember how much to "float" at various distances.

If the bead is on the line the clay will take, it will break (if I get the lead right!).   :biggrin:
Too much bead for me, would remove that straight away!

I would always go for to high rather than to low. To high and you still stand a good chance hitting the clay, to low and having your left eye take over means no chance of hitting the clay.

Or right eye take over if your one of those weird left handed people.
+1 my left eye takes over if stock is to low . i need adj.comb on berettas  all to low for me

I repeat all shotguns should be made with adj comb as standard ,    adjust for personal  comb height  sorted ! :pilot:   doveridge  do a superb adj comb job   top draw . :preved:

I wonder how the leading gun makers arrive at their stock measurements! Don't you think they should go around the grounds and take some stock measurements on what people are using/want!

We expect clothes to be available in different sizes in order to get the right fit so why not have a low, med, and high stocks available. If you read Beretta literature the they seem to offer different stock heights but nobody seems to know anything about it. I would not be convinced they are starting from the correct base anyway, their latest sporting stocks seem awfully low to me.

Yes you can have an adjustable comb but you pay extra for it. It can also be just another thing to fiddle with.

If you were going to buy a jumper you would not be happy with one size fits all with an adjustable gusset so why not have the option of appropriate low, med, high stock at the outset!

Okay, so if we all require adjustable stocks to be able to shoot a gun with any degree of success, how is it when I am running the 'have a go' stand at various summer events with just my Beretta auto, I have yet to have anyone score a zero ?  One answer may be that these people have never fired a gun before and have no pre conceived ideas. Of course they are shooting gun up and I am making sure the gun is mounted correctly and as such they are not pushing their head down. Most of the shooters I see who require a nose bleeding height on the comb, do have a habit of dropping their head to the wood (or plastic) in what is reminiscent of some Trap shooters. I shoot gun down mainly, BUT my head, although slightly inclined to the right, remains still and the gun comes to shoulder and cheek. I have seen too many stock twiddlers to even give an adjustable comb gun room in my cabinet.

It's Henry Ford's principle of you can have any colour you want as long as it's black, if you make low, medium and high what does the gun shop stock on his rack, the importer import or the manufacturer make.

All three sizes for every gun is quite a lot of stock and shooting has only a limited market, the importer, shop or manufacturer could end up being left with with one particular size.

Beretta do make different sizes but I think it's up to the importer to decide on which they import based on what they think they can sell.

I have a DT10 made for the USA market, the stock is totally different to any UK DT10 I have seen, it's definitely higher in the comb than the UK model.

I guess GMK reasoning is:

Too Low can easily be raised cheaply by cardboard & tape or the neoprene comb raiser, too high is going to cost you a trip to a gunsmith.

Adjustable is for those that like to do fitting themselves.

The rest are covered by those that have their stocks fitted or made.

If change is going to happen it is going to be the smaller companies like CG listening to what shooters want, then they become big and stop listening and tell the shooter what they are going to have but I guess it's nice while it lasts.

The retard from GMK that I spoke to when I called to ask them "why the f***" they only offer the lowest of 3-4 comb heights that Beretta offer in the DT11 sporter told me, "...sporters are supposed to shoot 'flat'..." !?!?

A small but significant point about adjustable combs is that they're not going to turn a Sporter into a Trap gun and vice versa. There is a limit to how much you can raise a typically low Sporter's comb without it feeling rather awkward when mounted and being shot. 

This is because the butt which is in contact with your shoulder remains in the same place, there is no substitute in having the whole set up raised to the height you're happy with hence why some prefer using Trap stocks rather than Sporters that have had the comb merely raised. 

The main advantage of an adjustable comb for me at least, is getting the sight picture fine tuned and any minor cast misalignments dialled out, hence why I go for the adjustable option even when ordering the right stock to begin with.

They can also prove very handy in rectifying undesirable recoil characteristics in terms of cheek pressure or even slap.

A small but significant point about adjustable combs is that they're not going to turn a Sporter into a Trap gun and vice versa. There is a limit to how much you can raise a typically low Sporter's comb without it feeling rather awkward when mounted and being shot. 

This is because the butt which is in contact with your shoulder remains in the same place, there is no substitute in having the whole set up raised to the height you're happy with hence why some prefer using Trap stocks rather than Sporters that have had the comb merely raised. 

The main advantage of an adjustable comb for me at least, is getting the sight picture fine tuned and any minor cast alignments dialled out, hence why I go for the adjustable option even when ordering the right stock to begin with.

They can also prove very handy in rectifying undesirable recoil characteristics in terms of cheek pressure or even slap.
I agree with you on this, my USA spec DT 10 adjustable comb is only raised a little in relation to the stock. The equivalent UK DT10 has to be adjusted to the maximum to give the same comb to rib height and doesn’t feel nice to shoot when set up like this.

It’s the reason why my 682 adjustable was sold, I could see down the rib ok but with the stock set at its full extension and it just didn’t feel totally right when being shot in this configuration.

If I try an adjustable and it has to be set at its maximum to give me the sight picture I want then I would now put it back on the rack.

the picture in earlier post  is now  my benchmark   I have the same sight picture as with the pound coin ,   acid test tomorrow Wednesday  at orston   stay tuned for report !     (excited eh )    :fie:

Back