High Lodge 9-12th March

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpot

I have just returned from a superb weekend at High Lodge in Suffolk. For those of you that have not been to HL, you are missing out on a very well run ground.

We stayed in the really well kitted out wooden lodges which are 2, 4 or 6 berth with all mod cons fitted. If you are like me and enjoy the odd fishing session, a lake is 10' away from your covered veranda so when I have an odd hour to spare, I have a rod set up ready and just fish. That method had 7 carp on the bank during the weekend. For those who enjoy outdoor bathing, 3 of the VIP lodges have their own private spa pool and as the weather was kind the couple in the next lodge took full advantage.

The ground has a golf course and a good club house with hot food all day and a very well stocked shop with a few guns but plenty of clothing and accessories, cartridges etc. I treated myself to a pair of Peltor Sportac electronic headphones as my old ones had given up the will to live.

There is also a really good air rifle range in the wooded area with 3 seperate stands, each of which has electric pop up targets, had a go, good fun.

The clay shoot has 3 skeet / DTL layouts a Fitasc stand and 22 active sporting stands, 2 of which are multi trap (6 traps ). I have been going down to HL for the past 8 years and I have to say that the fully auto, plug in module stands have always worked with very few problems. This is a tribute to the traps that John Bidwell manufacture on site.

The birds are always interesting and quite often catch you out as the bird looks like an easy or at least straight forward bird but it still catches you out as the angle or speed can be not as you thought. At each stand there is a phone number to call if a problem is found. We had a rabbit clay that was breaking in the trap, a quick call and the site techy was there in a flash on his buggy, problem solved.

As the entire sporting layout is housed in woodland, it offers something a little different to all the sporting layouts I have shot elsewhere giving a very enjoyable few hours. The 120' high tower is shot from in the woods as driven 'pin heads' but can also be shot from just outside the woods as high crossers from the other two traps housed up the tower and with a tennis court lead, can be smoked but not often by me or my wife although there are times when she just makes dust of them while I and others watch in wonder.

Overall High Lodge offers a great deal to the clay shooter in terms of friendly staff, quality layouts, good birds, good food, fantastic accommodation and really nice settings with the chance of seeing the odd Munkjack deer walking through the woodland setting.

If you fancy a good weekend away with the family and still enjoy some shooting, take a look at High Lodge. If the family are going, the seaside resort of Southwold is only 15-20mins away and again a place we really enjoy.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Only of the view across the lake from my lodge and a carp that I caught, I never thought of taking photos of the ground but I will be going back in June.

Phil

Something we have been thinking about. I have friends that own a pub about 10 miles up the road :D What are his prices like for clays and golf? Do you get a "resident" discount?

Something we have been thinking about. I have friends that own a pub about 10 miles up the road :D What are his prices like for clays and golf? Do you get a "resident" discount?
Here is the web site http://www.highlodge.co.uk/

There is no discount for residents and the price is £7.00 per 25 although the fitasc is about £10.50 per 25. My local small ground is the same price for sporting and when you consider what is available at HL, no comparison. Over the years whilst staying at HL, I have talked to people staying and shooting there for the first time have always said they were going to come back as they have really enjoyed both the lodge accom. and the shooting.

Because you use a plug-in module which counts the clays you use, you are not limited to blocks of 25 clays, you just pay for what you shoot.

Phil

Phil - what are the facilities like for the non-shooters/fishers? Is there anything for them to do, or is it all offsite to the seaside?

Matt, you obviously know High Lodge is geared up for shooting, fishing and golf but the village of Dunwich is only 8mins away which has direct access to the beach. Minsmere nature reserve is also about 9mins away next to Dunwich. Southwold is approx 20mins away with lovely shops ( never good for my bank balance ), beach and the pier so there is plenty to keep the family busy. Unlike a lot of shooting grounds, HL is situated just 600yds from the main A12 road which takes you into Southwold and Lowestoft so there is no complicated route to find your way which makes life easier for the family taking the car while you shoot.

To be honest, many of the families are just relaxing at the lodges and unless you are shooting ALL day, you have plenty of time to look around what we regard to be a lovely part of the world.

Good review Phil,

I've shot that high tower bird from the wood 2-3 times with reasonble success, but the side stand shooting at the other traps from the tower I've never got anywhere near - except once when I was shooting with JB and he moved my gun barrels with his hand and told me when to fire - and I hit both birds! When I looked at where I'd fired never in a million years would I have fired there by myself - it seemed way too high (too vertical) to hit them but hit them I did, but that was the only time. When I went back another day to try again I couldn't remember how I'd done it!!

As Phil says they charge 28p a clay with a 10% discount if you're a member, its very easy though to rack up a large number esp. if shooting by yourself . Last month I shot over 250 in one visit! But then I prob. don't shoot as often as some of you guys on here generally being about twice a month.

Tim

Back