High 5

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Quick question, Where should I be shooting high 5? I am shooting it before the centre peg but watching a few decent shooters at the Express last Sunday they were all shooting it after.

I think I remember reading something about shooting everything in your half of the field so high 5 would be after the peg, but I may have dreamt it or made it up :lol:

Shoot it over the centre peg. The tendancy is to hang on to the target , making it easy to stop the gun on firing or shoot high on a dropping target

For me personally, I prefer to shoot before/over the post as it encourages me to get on with it. It also means its less wind affected in certain conditions, saw this quite a lot a the England selection! But as with everything in shooting it all comes down to what ever you feel comfortable doing!

High 5 after centre peg IS in your half of the range

High 5 after centre peg IS in your half of the range
Correct, but I am shooting it before the peg, so in the other side of the field. Just wondered if there was any advantage to leaving it later. I find , like Snipey, its best to get on with it else I ride it.

Just had a thought, maybe its people who shoot a lot of SKD who shoot it after the peg, Low is shot first on 5 so that would be where high is taken in doubles???

Last edited by a moderator:
I only shoot singles after the peg, on the stands with doubles because then I only have to know 2 targets on that stand. Whereas 3/5 I think you can shoot any where because you have to know those 2 targets anyway 

Cheers chaps, I'll keep shooting it before the peg. Just thought I might be missing a trick ;)  Methinks me thinks too much :lol:

So if you shoot high 6 after the peg , in the second half , why shoot high 5 in the other half ?

"So if you shoot high 6 after the peg , in the second half , why shoot high 5 in the other half ?"

In answer to your question, because I always have been shooting it before the peg and didnt know any better, I saw others shooting it after and wondered why and is there an advantage to it.  

So the shoot one side of the field at a time is right and I didn't dream it or make it up so next question is why? Is there a technical advantage to it and if so what?  

I can see the possible benefit of letting it come closer, but if shot before the peg the pattern has spread more giving more margin for error.

I think you'll find a lot of shooters will shoot a target where they do because they can , but  if you look at most of the top guys they will normally shoot the targets in the singles in the same spot as you would shoot the doubles i.e high 5 after the peg  therefore you have less windows /pictures to learn . Just because you can shoot a  skeet target anywhere on the range does'nt mean its the best way to shoot skeet . Rember Skeet is a discipline and its about consistency  (which is where i fall down ). One of our top sporting shots who has shot quite a few tons said to me one day if the weathers sh*te and the targets are all over the place he'll turn up at a skeet comp. As he feels hes in with a good chance ,but if the weathers good i.e the targets are on rails he'll give it a miss as it's normally a skeet shooters day .

Fuz ... 

As has been said, normally shoot singles as you would shoot doubles.  However, with 3 and 5...if you don't shoot SKD, then it is less of an issue.

It may be worth trying to shoot them on the the right side of the field at some point, just for giggles.

I used to hold too far out for H5 and would miss, so don't hold out too far.

I was working on shooting everything in "the corridor" today and just left H5 that little bit later, just after the peg and it worked quite well. felt I had a bit more time and never missed one so thats where it shall stay :D

Hello all, I only shoot skeet a couple of times a year these days - in terms of high 5 I have always favoured letting this target come towards me and eventually shooting this half way between the centre peg and the low house (Pretty much a mirror of shooting low 3). I have always adopted the maintained lead technique on this target applying similar lead to high 4. High 5 is a target that doesn't need to be rushed, I mount the gun as the target approaches the middle peg. Hope this helps -cheers Neil 

After careful consideration I'm thinking of taking skeet shooting more seriously in terms of concentrating on this discipline rather than Englsh Sporting, my objective is to achieve a place in the 2014 England team squad ~ watch this space folks:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back