Have a look at this

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like  we should have to do this if we want to show that we are responsible enough to keep a shotgun. Failure to keep such records will undoubtedly count against us in the event that a gun is stolen. With the current lockdown rules it might be some weeks before we can get out to fire off some cartridges for identification.

Madmillie

Looks like  we should have to do this if we want to show that we are responsible enough to keep a shotgun. Failure to keep such records will undoubtedly count against us in the event that a gun is stolen. With the current lockdown rules it might be some weeks before we can get out to fire off some cartridges for identification.

Madmillie
I understand a bullet from a hand gun has a particular pattern on it that matches bullet to. gun but I don’t understand how it works with smooth bore guns and cartridges 

I understand a bullet from a hand gun has a particular pattern on it that matches bullet to. gun but I don’t understand how it works with smooth bore guns and cartridges 
Exactly what I was thinking. Isn't a ballistics assessment done on what comes out the end of the gun rather than the casing?

I have been asked to do this also. Further in fact, to keep two cartridges and label top/bottom barrel.

there are a number of distinguishing features that would help forensic investigations. First has has been suggested! Deformation of the primer. Also the brass, the diameter of the brass would swell on firing limited by the chamber. Measuring the diameter of the brass with accurate instruments could help identify the gun, also to with ejector markings.

if you take a look at a spent cartridge, you’ll see the makings

So your gun gets nicked and used ,the police have your shells to help match a spent shell at a scene to your gun and serial no.Thats it where do they go now?If they get hold of a gun serial no now ground off they can still match your shell to it.Sounds like a good idea if my rationale is correct.

If the gun has had many shells fired since the sample was retained it will be hard to judge it as pins degrade, particularly on certain guns. But as mentioned, it’s another step that at least politically shows responsibility from the owner. 

Seems like a good idea, but what if you use different types of ammo?  I use 2 types of CF (soon to be 3) 3 types of 20 bore, 8-10 types of 12 bore allowing for non tox... do i need to keep one of each? Surely each can will react differently if fired through the same gun?  If you factor in top and bottom barrels that quite a bit!  (Sorry if this is a dumb question)

It's certainly true that handguns and rifles leave individual markings on the spent cases, especially with auto and semi auto mechanisms. I'd guess that the ejectors and possibly the standing breech face from fixed breech guns can leave a signature on spent shot shells, and again, a semi would definitely leave marks.

So your gun gets nicked and used ,the police have your shells to help match a spent shell at a scene to your gun and serial no.Thats it where do they go now?If they get hold of a gun serial no now ground off they can still match your shell to it.Sounds like a good idea if my rationale is correct.
Even ground off, the serial number can be identified with forensics. I’ve seen this done by the police forensic team about 30 years ago on a caravan chassis number.

you would have to grind a lot of metal away for the number to be indeterminable

Not difficult to keep a pair of carts each time you go out shooting. It's not like they take up much space. get home, toss out last weeks set and pop the new ones in the jiffy bag in a drawer. 

Gun gets nicked that week then you have the very latest impressions.

Just renewed my SGC with Northants police, the FEO left me a plastic resealable bag for each of my guns. He asked that if the firing pins are replaced then to redo the test shells.  He also asked me if I'd write my house name/number and postcode inside the cabinet with a pen he provided and then spray a sealer over the writing.  He said that if the cabinet was nicked then they could identify the owner if it was found.

Mrs Jasper just renewed. Nothing like this with the new cert. Although I have to say I'm not adverse to it. And may do it of my own bat if we are ever allowed out again. 

Jasper. 

The simple logistics of maintaining that system/data base will never in any of our lifetimes exist.  It is a simply ludicrous demand that will serve no purpose whatsoever other than yet another means to harass the gun owner.  I mean Total Foo King Rot ! !  And yes I completely understand case head, breech face, and firing pin relationships and you keeping a couple empties in the safe is about as valuable a resource as belly button lint.  Actually the lint might be more useful since it may have DNA traces that could be used to identify your body - or perhaps one that may have been in proximity to yours.

Considering the last figure that I saw was 0.02% of legally held shotguns, ending up in the hands of criminals, I suppose the only relevant feature would be to identify the origins of the gun if any serial numbers had been removed. In a similar vein, most UK Police Forces are not accepting initial firearms applications and are carrying out renewals by telephone. That being the case, WHY can they not do ALL renewals by telephone or on line and save their relevant Forces a fortune  ??

Latest posts

Back