Had its day?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like others, I've learned some useful information from this site. The problem is, we're now just going over the same old ground and it loses its lustre ...
Bit like a marriage really, isn't it?

It's all new and exciting to begin with, then you kinda settle into the daily grind, good and bad.

But hopefully, you appreciate it for more than just the "exciting" bits.

I feel pretty confident, that you did not intend your comment to come across as it clearly has, but; what you have said, is the equivalent of walking into the kitchen, making a brew and casually saying:

"Why are you so bloody boring in bed love? What's happened to the stockings 'n' sussies and are you going to do something about this Dyson syndrome? Do you think we've run our course?"

As with a marriage, I have seen similar comments, cause an almost instantaneous END to other forums.

We are yet to see a bunch of flowers though...

As has been said, the Forum is what WE make it.

The hard and expensive bit has been done for us, so all we need to do is work to keep it alive for "the kids" and be appreciative of the characters and camaraderie, that we know and "love".

You could of course, go and get "a bit on the side", but if that were any good ... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it is that the forum does a good job anybody can join come on and ask questions about what ever aspect of shooting they need to. The problem with the lack of subject material is natural to be honest shotguns, the things we use are very reliable nothing much goes wrong with them. The other things we use cartridges are a personal thing and some people will ask from time to time but the responses can only ever be the same. So it is difficult to generate new posts basically because most has gone before... but there are always new people joining so the questions will be asked... these question deserve an answer not a gruff not F'n chokes.. shot string... etc again!   Questions about how to get best results from your shooting should be able to generate some debate though! The one about lead the other week was quite informative... not that it matters much to me I shoot trap and as such don't need to know anything about lead .. or even shooting because trap is not proper shooting... well that is what some think and actually say! I tend to think we can all learn something though whether a trap or sporting based topic.

I feel pretty confident, that you did not intend your comment to come across as it clearly has, but; what you have said, is the equivalent of walking into the kitchen, making a brew and casually saying:

"Why are you so bloody boring in bed love? What's happened to the stockings 'n' sussies and are you going to do something about this Dyson syndrome? Do you think we've run our course?"
No, I absolutely mean what I say. I question whether this part of the website serves a useful purpose when we're just going over and over the same old ground, week in, week out.

I want the website and the discussion board to succeed but to do that it needs content that will appeal to every participant, experienced or otherwise. I don't think we get too much of that at the moment.

I'm not one to sit on the sidelines and moan so I'll do my bit when I can to invigorate discussion. I hope others do too. If my original post has achieved one thing, it's at least got you all talking about something different.

Well, I think I must side with Jan on this one  !  After shooting for er.................a very long time, I feel that there is nothing left for me to learn.  Most of the people I meet at the local ground each week seem to also be of the same opinion for I often hear them saying "Here comes that know it all Bugger, Westley again".  So you can understand that being in that envious position, I, like Jan, feel that a Forum such as this is superfluous  !      :???:
:lol:  

I have kept all or most of them  :smile:

Wife is not happy about that situation at all.

I wonder if it effects house insurance ( Fire hazard?)
If you're storing them on a timber suspended floor, I'd be more concerned about the weight distribution  :ahappy:

I have learned a great deal from the forum particularly about sporting, game and gundogs. As for trap, I am set in my ways after thirty years of it and would like to think that I have something to offer on that topic.

it doesn't bother me if the same topics come up time and again. If we tell everyone who asks a question to do a search then the forum will just become a resource and there would be no inspiration or friendships made.

with respect I don't really see the point to the original post furthermore I don't think it is a very nice thing to post such a comment considering that matt could pull the plug anytime he wanted to. I do not feel that negative comments are fair on matt and I think I can speak for the vast majority on here when I tell him that we love the forum, it is what we as a group have made it over all these years and we are grateful to him for giving us a platform to discuss our shared passion.

I think this is a fair point, if badly made perhaps. Ref repetition - Personally I think that as with most forums, there's going to be repetition. However, to me, no one person is responsible to answer these repeated questions and generally there's someone around to pick these up. So Jan you need not concern yourself if with them if you'd rather not. Nobody will think any the worse of you if you don't respond. Personally I am always happy to chip in if I genuinely think I can help. 

Regarding wider topics etc -  Whilst I agree that the OP has provoked some thought and conversation, let's not ignore that generally in any "room" of people, there will be some who'd rather talk about something else. Surely it's up to them to then drive the conversation and see who wants to follow rather than (effectively) call everyone else boring? 

No, I absolutely mean what I say. I question whether this part of the website serves a useful purpose 
Of course you mean what you said, no issue there and we kind of see your point too. :)

I was implying that you probably didn't intend for it to come across as kicking Matt in the bollocks, by suggesting that as this part of the Forum no longer teaches YOU anything new, then it should be closed and f#ck everybody else.

Which is how it came across...

I don't and I've never claimed I do. That's not really the point.

Like others, I've learned some useful information from this site. The problem is, we're now just going over the same old ground and it loses its lustre. It's good to see some suggestions from Matt as to how to make the site more interesting. Let's hope, now that we're discussing it, we can see a little more information that'll appeal to all.
Well Jan, if you had started this thread TODAY, perhaps I could have understood it's reasoning better  ?

Sez someone who may just see it from a different angle :)  
That was a joke, son.

I have kept all or most of them  :smile:

Wife is not happy about that situation at all.

I wonder if it effects house insurance ( Fire hazard?)
It's been a while but I had a sub for a number of years.  When all the Countryside alliance and marches started and the people were just totally ignored it got so depressing to read that I quit it when it next ran out.  I do have two bound years of Game and Gun from 1941 and 1944 - - they are among the most treasured books I have.   I have searched without success for others.

So, my question is, has this discussion board had its day?

It seems to me that we're just going over the same old ground again and again. In the past few weeks we've questions about chokes, gun cleaning routines, firearms licencing delays, what's your favourite shooting lens colour and now, what's best to drink whilst shooting.

All of these topics have been done to death on several occasions in the past and frankly, for those that have followed the website for a while, it does get a little repetitive. Given that many of the discussions quickly degenerate into nonsensical personal comments from one user to another it seems others perhaps feel the same way.

This is not an attack on those that post the original topic. I realise those new to the sport have lots of questions and occasionally, for those not so new, the odd issue arises that we feel the need to discuss with others but a quick trawl through past discussions will most likely reveal everything you want to know and more.

I guess there's only so much to talk about. Maybe it's time to knock the 'General Shooting Discussions' on the head?
I guess you have a choice as to whether you want to read a subject or not...nobody is making you. if it doesn't interest you, ignore it and move on.

jan  give the forum a rest for a while  , its nice to catch up then ,    social media generally becomes boring after so long .   but our general interest of shooting will always win through !! check out my mint gun for sale on shootbay .  :wink:
Have a look at mine at the same time. 

If you personally think the forum has had its day,simply log out. Other people may still find its contents and archive interesting. Each to their own but I find the forum interesting and light hearted fun. Suppose if you have been shooting for 40 years and have tried every gun and never miss,then this forum is obsolete to you.
Bugger, you must know me.

Back