Gun shop near North London

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I think a 525 Sporter One is only about £1600 or so brand new so can be gotten fairly easily for around a grand second hand.
If I was starting out now with the intention of shooting all the variety of  clays such as skeet, Sporting or trap  and a bit game I would buy a 525 sporter or/and Trap. Both fit me (average height etc ) out of the box. Reliable, excellent build, robust  and great value.

There's a few around for around £1k.

For 2K to buy Trap and Sporter I really wouldn't  really ever need another gun.

I did want a perazzi though  and a Beretta SO and ASE which are brilliant guns but quite a lot more pricey.  But if push came to shove. 

I really wouldn't  really ever need another gun.
Who's bringing rational arguments into the subject over what guns to own? 😄 

Great choice of guns to own by the way, are there any others on your list or are you sticking with just the three Italians? I'd quite fancy an ASE90 or later variant, just got outbid on a black DT10 unfortunately. I might go the DT11 route at some point, but that's not nearly an SO either. I certainly don't need one, but that doesn't stop me from drooling over your choices. 

For 2K to buy Trap and Sporter I really wouldn't  really ever need another gun.
Which is why I'm not sure how on earth people gauge whether a gun is better for them or not than something as basic as either a 525 or a 686 (sausage fingers or slim jims), cos I surely can't... they all just feel slightly different, no better, no worse. And that's why I can't see how a gun can be worth thousands more unless it's down to how pretty one is or if it states you get a certain x-factor such as never breaking/jamming.

Guessing naivety or a lack of ability just means mean I'm lucky. :)

Thanks again for the pointers. Appreciate that comment about actual price v asking price (taking into account cash purchase), and the figure paid by Fred for the 686E. I would like a 686 'sporter' in good nick .... if anyone thinking of off-loading one please get in contact.

That said ... would it be mad just to buy a Lanber Sporter for £400 (seem to get great reviews although spares maybe an issue) or is that just a cop-out???! 

Sounds like you are on that ‘merry go round’ of what gun you should buy first... I recognise that! 
Ultimately, it’s your choice, not forgetting it must fit you fairly well to start with, which you won’t know till you actually pick it up.

If you want to come down in price, you can buy very good looking ATA’s for around £400 S/h, and £600 new, which are ‘in production’ and have accessible spares. They also generally have nicer wood at entry level.

Think of them like cars... they all drive from a to b, and guns all go bang. Some go for a ceased-production Rover, some go for a Mondeo, some go for a Merc A, C, or E class, and some go for a BMW X6 with bells and whistles. A few will go for a Bentley, Roller or similar. None are right or wrong! You make your choice on what is right for the job you want, what level of back up and ‘engineering/build quality’’ you want, what looks nice to you (perhaps), and what you can afford/want to realistically spend’. Remember that, like cars, some hold value better than others, and you will have the depreciation on any new car gun, should you chose to later p/ex or sell it.

I can only speak for guns I've owned, but there are improvements in quality and options (for replacement of parts etc) between "cheap" "mid-range" and "high end" guns of the same brand. As with anything, past a certain point the improvements are inversely correlated to the additional expense though. For my brand of choice I'd say the a 692/694 are a fair step up from the 686 series (owning both a 686 and a 692). If I had to pick one and lose the other, the 686 would have to go. Above the 69X's the DT's are an improvement in theory at least, meaning I probably wouldn't improve my shooting with one but I still want one 😇. As for the SO series, the extra expense seems mostly for aesthetic purposes, exclusivity and show- but then I haven't shot one (but would like to).  

Spend what you like on a gun that fits you and makes you smile when you open the case. No one can fault you for your budget or your tastes.     

I can only speak for guns I've owned, but there are improvements in quality and options (for replacement of parts etc) between "cheap" "mid-range" and "high end" guns of the same brand. As with anything, past a certain point the improvements are inversely correlated to the additional expense though. For my brand of choice I'd say the a 692/694 are a fair step up from the 686 series (owning both a 686 and a 692). If I had to pick one and lose the other, the 686 would have to go. Above the 69X's the DT's are an improvement in theory at least, meaning I probably wouldn't improve my shooting with one but I still want one 😇. As for the SO series, the extra expense seems mostly for aesthetic purposes, exclusivity and show- but then I haven't shot one (but would like to).  

Spend what you like on a gun that fits you and makes you smile when you open the case. No one can fault you for your budget or your tastes.     
Agreed!

I too favour Beretta... personal choice alone (nobody pushed me down any particular route), but they feel nice to me, are of good quality, and fit me well.

I love my 686, but I already have a nice 692/4 as my next ‘wish’ if I’m able to, perhaps next year. Will it make me shoot better? Marginally perhaps, but I doubt it... it’s me that points the thing. Will it make me feel good... without a doubt! 

Sometimes it is that obvious... to me, Berettas seem made for those of the spindly handed variety and not for the likes of me with Bowyers finest for digits.
Yep... The Berettas have a slightly slimmer action due to the exquisite way the barrels hook up, whereas the Brownings use a more un-refined system, making it larger... for sausage-finger types 😂🤣 

To be honest, you can’t go wrong with either... whichever you prefer to hold is the ‘right’ one.

Seemed to me that I need to support and guide the Browning but feel like I am holding the Beretta... this could of course just be me talking gibberish after a Thursday skinfull 

Yep... The Berettas have a slightly slimmer action due to the exquisite way the barrels hook up, whereas the Brownings use a more un-refined system, making it larger... for sausage-finger types 😂🤣 

To be honest, you can’t go wrong with either... whichever you prefer to hold is the ‘right’ one.
All I know, is Berettas are generally too thin for me and the people I shoot with have only ever had issues with them breaking, cracking, or literally falling apart in their hands, but not a peep from the Browning/Miroku owners. Not necessarily representative, but just my experience from those I hang with, and it's quite funny when they're having a pop at my ugly old scaffold and tubes which just keeps going. Unrefined, yes... but solid. :D  

Surprised park street guns St Albans and country persuits Rickmansworth haven’t got a mention plus the dealer search on Guntrader lists virtually all gun shops searchable by county.

Thanks Bugsey. Actually the ground where I took lessons (A1 in Barnet) recommended Park Street guns, so I’ll be checking them out in the New Year. 

Back