gun fit

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul iow

hello all hows tricks.when do you think it's a good time to get your gun fit properly or do you do this after you been shooting a while you here so many different things

peaple have said that you must have the perfect mount every time so will this make a difference or will this help

Holy Grail trail. 

If you're a relative beginner, as Ed says get the gun fit about right and leave it until your mount is automatic. 

If it is your first gun, get it fitted first.

Ideally it will have an adjustable comb.

Get the LOP and the pitch set up correctly for you, as it will stop recoil problems later on and make shooting fun.

Once the gun is shooting where you are looking, you will shoot more targets and enjoy the sport more.

As ED said but get some one that knows what there doing to get you close, as we get used to shooting we learn what we like to see over the rib and no matter if the gun fits us or not we will make sure to see that picture ( fitting ourselves to the gun)

Er...so if the comb height is OK but the gun stock is too long and out on your upper arm, should you leave it until you grow into it ? The comb height is only one factor of the complexity of gunfit. As Ed has already correctly said, get it about right, shoot it for a while then get it fitted correctly. This way the basics of gun mounting should have been perfected which will make things easier for the stock fitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gun fit is fairly important, but a progressing beginner will not offer a stable enough platform upon which to judge gun fit. As Ed implies, it will be a while before the shooter has stabilised enough for the fit to mean anything.

So, beginners: Get a gun that is roughly right and go and shoot loads.

More established shots: Get gun fit about right then learn the detail of where it shoots.

As for the idea that perfect gunfit is the answer? Look at Richard Bunning, Chris Childerhouse, Chris Biddlecombe. They wouldn't get through a first lesson without being picked up for unconventional gun hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been shooting a while and was given this advice by a guy who in his day was DTL superb he's in his lat 60's now may even be older so a lot of experance , His advice was get a gun thats close enough , then have a couple of lessons with a pro , than practice , practice , practice . Then go get  the gun fit checked  ... and always remember shooters shoot clays not guns . 

For me going from a close fit to a good fit ( adjustable comb fitted ) reliably added about 5% to my scores.

Almost as good as tuition with a pro but that delivers compounding results every time.

Ive been shooting for about a year now,   

and know that i need a few tweaks to my gun,   

Can anyone recommend a good gun fitter in W Sussex/ Hants

:santa:

Back