game v sporter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

been thinking.

if sporting is sposed to replicate game shooting then why are sporters different to game guns ???

Marketing.

Yes Sir, you shall require a 28" sxs game gun (that doesn't fit you) for shooting game, a pair of them (that don't fit you) for double gun days 28" o/u (that's too low in the comb) for your sheet clay shooting, a 30" trap gun (that fits) with super tight fixed chokes for your fast trap clay shooting, a 32" trap gun (that fits) with super tight chokes for your slow trap clay shooting and a 32" sporter (with a ridiculously low comb) for your sporting clay shooting with multi choked barrels of course...

...or, you could just buy a 30"/32" multi choked 'trap' gun with sensible comb dimensions, that fits you, that you can shoot ANYTHING with, that because your only buying one gun instead of 5/6, you can afford to buy something nice...aspirational even!!! (beware the man with only one gun, chances are he can shoot it well!!!)

been thinking.

if sporting is sposed to replicate game shooting then why are sporters different to game guns ???
To be fair Sporters do need to be a bit heavier as you shoot large volumes in a short space of time and the guns tend to be a bit more tricked up with things like multi chokes and adjustable length of pull for triggers etc, game shooting can be standing in a line or entail a fair bit of walking with fewer shots fired hence a light gun is advantageous. 

As James says though most things can be done (better) with a well fitting Traplike gun so ultimately it's marketing, if I had limitless funds I may well buy a game gun but it will either resemble my clay gun or the latter would get taken out on live stuff too.

A friend of mine was just last week reminiscing about loading at a high pheasant shoot in Perthshire, he was going nuts about people turning up to shoot there "under gunned"...he gave an example of a Belgian gun who shot with two borrowed sxs game guns choked  cly 1/4 and 30g 6's all day one November. The guy was really pissed off pricking birds, sore from recoil and didn't much enjoy the shooting element of his day. The same Belgian returned at the end of January with a pair of custom 34" Browning F1 trap guns, 35g 4's, the white Victory shells that come in the box with a picture of a hare on it...shot like a demon all day, loved his shooting and had no recoil issues!!! I've seen the guy shoot when beating at the place, one of the best guns that goes there!!!

Some of the finest shots advocate long barrels for driven game and if I'm not mistaken GD prefers 34" for game.

I would say `game` guns are more `field` guns ,made to suit roughshooters,`fowlers,pigeon decoyers and of course,more formal sorts !

Heavy ,longer barrelled guns may not suit a lot of people for their type of sport.

It's only the flight of  the clays in Sporting which are meant to replicate game birds, little else is remotely the same. Therefore it's not at all odd that the type/weight/dimensions of a gun designed specifically for one of the disciplines would differ from the other. 

interesting stuff. I love my game gun BUT it don't fit THAT well. Bit too low in the comb, very light, having said that I find that if you shoot it gun down (as one is sposed to do my good man) then you seem to hover on the comb and it does fit BUT if you shoot it pre mounted at rabbit for instance you tend to plant your mush into comb and get a great view of the lever. SO could this have any bearing on why game guns always seem to be very low. ???

It must be technique. I asked Tom at Hodnet why all the EELL guns had hopelessly low combs. You're holding it wrong he said you're not s'posed to press your head down like that. Right.

It must be technique. I asked Tom at Hodnet why all the EELL guns had hopelessly low combs. You're holding it wrong he said you're not s'posed to press your head down like that. Right.
my god does that mean I am actually right ?

ps

40up are you having problems with your email. ?

have emailed twice in last few weeks but no reply. ??

No nothing from you since Jun 3rd. Mind you I do go shooting a bit..

how odd.

send me email to reply to see if that works, I will copy paste my last one I tried to send

A very interesting topic and I am sure it could run for a while.

When we compete a fair bit , I think we do get into the very bad habit of crushing our head down onto the comb to make sure that we have a constantly repeatable sight picture.

But I think we ALL know there is nothing more elegant than see the late Percy Stanbury shott off his front foot and mearly brush his cheek onto the comb, Richard Faulds is an ideal chap to copy.

Dependant on if you are walking up or standing will dictate what type of gun to use , multiple driven birds off a peg requires something in the order of 8.5 pounds in weight with fairly long pointable barrels to steady you on the longer lead birds. Walked up Grouse tramping through knee deep heather requires a much lighter gun possibly with short barrels for instant 'up and at 'em'.

Cautionary tale , in 1984 I was invited to shoot at Chatsworth House , his late Lordship took a very dim view of my O/U Browning and let me know it, next time I was invited I took a very expensive sidelock courtesy of Lord Bradford , which my Wife subsequently bought for me. Used it once since!

I think for ALL gameshooting we should make it a tradition (rule?) to only shoot Side by Sides , preferably made in Britain.

Light to carry , easy opening with a good gape for fast reloading and if they hurt you late in the day you are a greedy B who has shot far too much.

ruddy ell peter I now have to convince Mrs ips that I absolutely must get a SxS before October.

AYA No4 28" .cheap to source,handle well enough,70mm chambers and heavy enough to control recoil.

What`s not to like......

Ok.. just to add a bit more hearsay from what ive picked up over the years..

An old bloke (a person who will have experianced all different types of shotgun shooting and forgotten more than most will ever know said to me yhat game guns had low combs and usually very thin as they were designed to be mounted with the comb resting /touching at the same hight as the corner of the mouth. Not the cheekbone.

Another source said it was  because a lot of  game  is shot overhead as in driven or at least high in the sky. And as you raise the gun from horizontal you will naturally see more and more rib. The low stocks were made to take this into account.

Thats the theorys as they explained.. Trouble is I still shoot alot better at everything including game with a trap stock!!!!

Game guns have  low combs   purely because its a quick snatch shot and not a pre  meditated target shot 

Latest posts

Back