Four Counties 16.6.13

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

I headed down to this one this morning. Nice to see that the wind was finally behaving.

Another good course. I only found one stand that was properly easy and even then it was catching people out (No leeed required). A couple of rangey battues to keep it spicey and the usual set of flying edge-on birds kept folk wide awake.

I had hoped to better my 4C best today, but failed and only matched it (an 80, nothing impressive). Interestingly I did try the pool shoot with my prescription glasses on and despite missing two, the vision was great so I think a new era (including expensive glasses..) is about to hit me. The sim aways in the woods were MUCH easier to see. I tried a few shots on a long battue and I am now less worried about the leeed looking odd with prescriptions on than I was.

I saw a good few faces from here today; mostly going out as I left. I think they may have got damp; I timed it well..

Nice to see you again Will, you will just have to spend lots on new glasses! We had an interesting round, as ever quite a challenge for us beginners.  Pleased with my 55, only one really bad stand. I also had problems with glasses colour on the sim away bird in the wood (stand 1), I thought it was too dark for brown tint and too bright for my yellow tint, didn't have the red ones with me so - end result 4/8 from the stand. Never a moral booster on the first stand.

As was suggested it was a bit on the damp side but as most of the stands were in the woods it wasn't too bad. Nice balanced shoot well set by Brian.

Hopefully I can keep my scores up above 50  :fie:

Nice to see you again Will, you will just have to spend lots on new glasses! We had an interesting round, as ever quite a challenge for us beginners.  Pleased with my 55, only one really bad stand. I also had problems with glasses colour on the sim away bird in the wood (stand 1), I thought it was too dark for brown tint and too bright for my yellow tint, didn't have the red ones with me so - end result 4/8 from the stand. Never a moral booster on the first stand.

As was suggested it was a bit on the damp side but as most of the stands were in the woods it wasn't too bad. Nice balanced shoot well set by Brian.

Hopefully I can keep my scores up above 50  :fie:
Well shot. That's two in a row well above half marks and neither an easy affair. Good progress, stick with it.

Scores for today:

High gun: R Faulds 97

AA Class: C Childerhouse 93

N Lockton/A Miles 91

A Class: P Gendall 89

B Knight 87

B Class: C Grant 82

E Waite  80

C Class:  C Mitchell 80

D Wragg 79

Awaiting confirmation from Gunsite re AA aggregate winner

Well done to all those that took part (seemed to be alot of PB's reported)  and to those that managed to stay dry!

Quick update:

Chris Childerhouse won the AA aggregate prize with scores of 95 (Gunsite) and 93 (Four Counties)

Well Done Chris!

Will, it may be worth you considering some Daily Contact Lenses for shooting. Both my wife and I wear them for shooting and you can then still take advantage of your various colours of shooting glasses that you may have accrued.

We usually get six months supply but of course as we only use them for shooting and golf, they last a lot longer. No messy cleaning solutions for the daily ones. Wear them and then just throw them away !

We have tried a few different makes, but have found that "Focus Dailies" are the easiest and most comfortable to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thought of sticking something on my eye is most unappealing!!!

Talking to Ed Lyons presently. I think my collection of lenses can be used on some new prescription insert hidefs.. Will keep you posted..

Back