First Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I have no idea yet. I'm going to try everything I can so I'm looking for a gun that is OK for all disciplines.
One gun for everything? Now there’s a can of worms! 😂 In theory yes why not, but you won’t find many trap shooters using a sporter for trap or many skeet shooters using a trap gun. 
There have over the years been sporting shooters who used trap guns, sometimes modified sometimes not. 
I think most people would go with the right gun for the discipline being shot. 

One gun for everything? Now there’s a can of worms! 😂 In theory yes why not, but you won’t find many trap shooters using a sporter for trap or many skeet shooters using a trap gun. 
There have over the years been sporting shooters who used trap guns, sometimes modified sometimes not. 
I think most people would go with the right gun for the discipline being shot. 
I don't doubt that but as a first gun I just want to try everything and see which way I lean. Not trying to win anything just testing the water. I'm thinking a MK38 might be the way to go

Glad you said that. I've wondered what the difference is really. They've been using 21gm 20 bore during lessons and been doing fine. However, surely a 12 bore shooting 21gm will have similar recoil? Wouldn't a decent recoil pad and a heavier gun also reduce recoil and be more pleasant to shoot for them? I'd prefer to get them a 12 bore as the cartridges seem cheaper and there's a greater choice gun wise.
All as you say!

Glad you said that. I've wondered what the difference is really. They've been using 21gm 20 bore during lessons and been doing fine. However, surely a 12 bore shooting 21gm will have similar recoil? Wouldn't a decent recoil pad and a heavier gun also reduce recoil and be more pleasant to shoot for them? I'd prefer to get them a 12 bore as the cartridges seem cheaper and there's a greater choice gun wise.
This^^^

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've gone full circle to be honest and I'll probably go for a second hand B525/Miroku as the general consensus appears to be that these are good enough for most disciplines as a beginner. 
Admittedly, Will says I'm a bit of an anomaly with regards to this, but I've had a B525 since day one and I still feel no intention to change it for anything else so its not always just a sacrificial starter model. 🤷‍♂️

I don't doubt that but as a first gun I just want to try everything and see which way I lean. Not trying to win anything just testing the water. I'm thinking a MK38 might be the way to go
But there are different configurations of MK38’s too. Personally I didn’t buy a gun until I knew what I wanted to shoot, I used club guns and borrowed guns whilst I tried the disciplines. I used various makes of guns as well. 
Im a big fan of Miroku and I can’t remember how many I’ve had over the years ,I think about six or eight, one was actually badged as Browning. It was on old Browning Citori, prob late 70’s or early 80’s. 
Whatever you do don’t rush! 

A second-hand Mk38 or B525 isn’t going to cost a fortune and will hold its value well enough. Some pretty good shots I know have never bothered trading up 👍

Also I agree that those saying that same loads through 12G and 20G would somehow yield “lighter recoil” in the 20G are bonkers and should be made to retake physics 101. 

Enjoy the journey, especially now that you get to enjoy it with your daughters. Here’s a thought: Buy one a trap gun, the other a skeet gun and yourself a regular sporter - each with an adjustable stock 🎅 

A second-hand Mk38 or B525 isn’t going to cost a fortune and will hold its value well enough. Some pretty good shots I know have never bothered trading up 👍

Also I agree that those saying that same loads through 12G and 20G would somehow yield “lighter recoil” in the 20G are bonkers and should be made to retake physics 101. 

Enjoy the journey, especially now that you get to enjoy it with your daughters. Here’s a thought: Buy one a trap gun, the other a skeet gun and yourself a regular sporter - each with an adjustable stock 🎅 
I tried a few 20g guns over the years and they all kicked like mules! All the lady shooters I ever shot with used a 12g. 

I took up clay shooting earlier this year and bought a cheap Rizzini to get me going. £145 and seems to work fine. I look forward to getting something nice when I have progressed a bit (😬). Like the feel of Berettas and the 692 black looks tasty. I’m enjoying the anticipation!

Mrs Flintstone has shown a recent interest in the sport (just doubled my £££ spent :(  ). Set her up with a 12g from the start, decent recoil pad and 21 gram carts. She loves it and easily handles the gun (went for a slightly lighter model).

My opinion as most others... avoid the 20g flavours!

Been bonkers busy lately so haven't replied much.

I'm still waiting for my FLO visit, but all being well I intend to go to Doveridge and get fitted etc

I'm very fortunate to have a quite large budget for a first gun which actually seems to be making what to go for even harder. My current thought is a MK38 Gd5 (fit depending of course).
The Miroku is excellent, I’ve had several. But if you are going to shoot trap, buy a trap gun. 

Thanks. I've taken the plunge and have gone for the XS pro.

However, I seem to have a problem. I've pulled the trigger whilst cleaning it and it now won't  cock. The trigger is flapping around loose. I've tried slapping the butt pad as I know it's an inertia trigger.

Any ideas?

If the barrels and forend are not attached, attach them and then open the gun. If no joy, switch the barrel selector to the other barrel and then pull the trigger , then open the gun again 

Last edited by a moderator:
If the barrels and forend are not attached, attach them and then open the gun. If no joy, switch the barrel selector to the other barrel and then pull the trigger , then open the gun again 
Thanks Les but no joy 

If you look at the action where the forend meets at the bottom you can see a small pin that goes through it, is this pin out slightly

If you look at the action where the forend meets at the bottom you can see a small pin that goes through it, is this pin out slightly
Can't see anything. Do I  need  snapcaps?20211211_163213.jpg

Ok, I've noticed something odd. If I lay the gun on its side the trigger is cocked and can fire. If I  hold it in the normal manner the trigger is flapping around with no resistance. Also, is it supposed to rattle when closed?

Have you tried moving the barrel selector and trying the trigger? 

Back