English open

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot skeet every sat about twelve months ago and I didn't find it easy at all, I didn't find it boring either. I found it to be the same as dtl very addictive and the fact that the targets appeared easy and yet you could not hit them all was very frustrating just like dtl.

I just like having fun whatever I'm shooting and you're right I like the challenge in the wind.  I respect all disciplines and those that shoot them particularly to a high level.  I don't have the patience to try to perfect something like Skeet or DTL but I do like to shoot them and I do so every Saturday.  Sorry if I came across as disrespectful in any way wasn't meant to be disrespectful at all.  

As a relatively new shooter I like skeet to help me practice, same as DTL, it's a muscle memory thing and a consistancy thing for me. I need all the help I can get.  :wacko:

As a relatively new shooter I like skeet to help me practice, same as DTL, it's a muscle memory thing and a consistancy thing for me. I need all the help I can get.  :wacko:
exactly right. Any repetitive discipline will encourage muscle memory and consistent gun mount

No need for anyone to apologise to me i took no offence at any comments. I merely want more people to shoot skeet - especially NSSA - as i unashamedly like the discipline. 

If you will let me indulge for a while longer i will post a bit more.

Those of you above are dead right - ask nearly any shooter to break high 1 they could probably do it 5 times in a row, in fact ask them to break a pair on Stn 1 and they could do the same i suspect. I will accept that if you treat each target as an individual then very few of them are what i would call difficult. 

That said even without any pressure - now try run a 4 round 25 bird sequence and come away with a hundred straight. Add into this tournament pressure and do the same because if you want to win you NEED to as someone else will. Skeet is a game of dedication and repeatability - so yes muscle memory and making sure every little item is ticked off leaving no stone unturned in the quest for perfection. 

Doing this with 12g is challenging enough - now try to do it with all 4 gauges (12, 20, 28 and 410). To put this into perspective that last time a .410 100 straight was shot in the UK was 2012 i think although i would need to check my figures. 

I have been lucky enough to break 16 x 100 straights so far and for a UK shooter this is not bad..... but this pales into comparison to other shooters. Put this into perspective at the 2015 World Skeet i broke a 97/100 in the 28 gauge event and came 215th!! with 48 people breaking a hundred straight. 

Then be able to hold your nerve in a shoot off with doubles - i really like the NSSA shoot off system - doubles at 3, 4 and 5 - so 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4 (4 after 3 is high bird first, 4 after 5 is low bird first) - this is not an easy system to shoot as the constant ramp up / ramp down in aggression needed is hard to control. That said i have seen this system run for multiple "boxes" in the USA as they try to find a winner. 

Here is the video for that 2015 world skeet 28 gauge event. Remember to get to the point of the beginning of this video you will have shot 100 x 28 gauge straight, then a box of doubles on 3, 4 and 5 straight.

In the whole history of NSSA skeet only 2 british shooters have won any NSSA World title - Pete Usher (28g) and Craig Lakey (Dbls & 12g).

Just to show you what they go up against here are a couple of the top US shooters 2016 scores and neither of these won a world title last year!

LP16.JPG

MS16.JPG

Iam shooting skeet doubles tomorrow which iam absolute rubbish at  I don't know why as iam not bad at skeet.
IMO skeet doubles probably shoots 3 or 4 targets harder than standard. It is all about cadence and consistent placement of the first break as without that the second shot is harder.

Mind you what do i know as my dbls PB is only 96......

Latest posts

Back