Easiest discipline to attain a top class the quickest

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

Following on from a few recent topics regarding how easy (or not) certain disciplines are here is a question just as a conversation piece.

What discipline do you think is the easiest / quickest to get good at ?

in other words if a total newbie had to pick one to put all his energy into (with a view to getting in the top class and an England badge and aspirations of a major title) what would be the best option. Now were not talking the easiest discipline to shoot (as we all know the answer to that) par se and presumably we would need to factor in availability of grounds maybe even coaches etc. Also to keep things comparable we are talking country level not international.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without doubt Skeet.

All targets close range,  all in a known sequence, regulation height  speed and distance.

Is the newbie going to be senior, vet, junior or lady? If the aim is to get an England badge for HI (?) this may well affect strategic advice

I would also say skeet, especially if you come into it with a clean slate and start from nothing.

DTL without a doubt, skeet you need to teach the principal of increasing lead as you progress from stand 1 through stand 4, then teach them to back that lead off as they go to stand 7, different hold points as you go round as well. DTL, well aim at the back of the trap house and when you see a bright orange thing, shoot it, simples...

To eliminate strategy and ease of discipline, it would need to be who can get into AAA [or highest grade] the soonest.

I have now had a bash at everything except helice and in my very humble opinion DTL so long as you had the ability to keep it together to the bitter end because targets may be the easiest but mental stress might be your downfall.

DTL without a doubt, skeet you need to teach the principal of increasing lead as you progress from stand 1 through stand 4, then teach them to back that lead off as they go to stand 7, different hold points as you go round as well. DTL, well aim at the back of the trap house and when you see a bright orange thing, shoot it, simples...
Not forgetting you can shoot at it again if you miss with your first shot!

I would say it's a pretty even choice between skeet and DTL, whichever you find suits your style, the benifit of skeet is that it does give you a better insight into the aspects of leeeed for a given type of target which can help if you then move across into ESP, though haing said that there will also be the benifits of mental discipline from DTL that help in DT, UT and OT, just gotta see which suits you style really and focus on that discipline.

Walk before you can run :)

Coming from another olympic discipline,  All i can say is gain the basics and build on them.

And practice, practice, practice, practice practice ...  I kid you not !!!!

Mart

DTL top category = 95.4%

ESK top category... 95.8

DTL SB one shot per target... 94.3 seems DTL not as easy as it looks.

Never shot any discipline other than trap in its various formats but I cannot think why one form of shooting should be any easier than another to "excel" at. The clue is in the word Excel : to be superior to. In other words to be the best at perhaps? Its down to the individual and how much they want to be that person that excels and of course having the ability to excel ie. do you as an individual have the talent that with the correct coaching can make the very highest step of the echelon, through practice and to a certain extent self sacrifice. The notion that a person can look at a range of disciplines and chose one and say I am going to excel at this because the others are more difficult is fanciful to say the least. What is easy for one individual is or can be more difficult for the other. IF there was such a way of categorising what is easy then most of those wishing to excel at that discipline would find themselves in a very large group of like minded people all seeking to excel at the perceived easy discipline. I can only give one informed idea on the subject of attaining excellence status, it was told to me by a scientist of some repute but not as one would say the very highest in his field... why.. it was a field of great scientific interest and therefore was populated by many great minds. Anyway his advice was if you want to excel in your chosen field chose the most obscure of subjects, this is almost guaranteed to give you some high status in what will probably be a very tedious subject matter. I really don't see how you could apply this to shooting though other than leading you to be shooting in the lowest populated of the shooting disciplines  :)

These stats, tell you the targets are very easy, but consequently getting to the top isn't. http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/
In Skeet and im sure DTL theres a hell of a lot of shooters out there at that 95+ level, which is why when people start the discipline if the dedication is there they shot up through the classes and achieve 90 + scores , this is an earlier poster said because you know the targets , but then the stall effect comes in and as always does'nt matter how good you are there is only one winner !

Also it has to be said if you had the same never changing targets at a sporting ground and you shot many thousands of cartridges at these targets as you do in skeet i'm sure you'd quite quickly be hitting big scores , but it would still be sporting !!

Is the newbie going to be senior, vet, junior or lady? If the aim is to get an England badge for HI (?) this may well affect strategic advice
Very good point and not one I had considered.

For arguments sake lets say senior male

Good point Sara , i agree with ips senior male ,  i can remember at a selection shoot a couple of years back when Nick M . walked past me and said how's Louis doing , I said both him and ashley are on 198/200 . Nick walked away saying "thank god im not in juniors " (although with Nick his place  in the team is almost a forgone conclusion ) but what he was alluding to was the fact it was harder to get a place in the junior team than the senior as in juniors there are only three places to fight for whereas in seniors there's ten places .

The notion that a person can look at a range of disciplines and chose one and say I am going to excel at this because the others are more difficult is fanciful to say the least.
I am sorry but I disagree, anyway the fact of how easy the discipline is to shoot is irrelevant. the point of the post (apart from a bit of fun) was to conclude if certain disciplines were easier to become accomplished at faster than others. Maybe the word "excel" was the wrong choice. I don't know the answer or indeed if there is one as apart from the odd all round comp I have only ever shot trap, however I assume that maybe some of the sporting derivatives (FITASC or whatever it is) or the Olympic skeet or Double trap for instance could be very difficult to achieve any degree of competency within a reasonable time frame for various reasons.

Emmsy said:
thats because you get bored after shooting a couple of pegs of dtl.

technically they must be the easiest targets to hit.
Yes they are the easiest target to hit ............. once.

Believe me there is no boredom involved when you start your last 25 when you are 75-225 or indeed when you start your second round with a 25-75 under your belt.

To eliminate strategy and ease of discipline, it would need to be who can get into AAA [or highest grade] the soonest.
Yes this is what I meant to say but unfortunately used the term "excel" which could have confused peeps.

I shall edit accordingly :)

Latest posts

Back