Ear muffs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill.rosa

Hi all I am looking to buy a set of muffs that will not contact with my gun stock when I mount the shotgun, also are muffs with Gell ear cushions more  soft and comfortable.

Best regards

Bill

Bit of a tricky problem this. I tried many different types, but still ended up with “the clunk” when I mounted the gun, so much so that I use disposable foam plugs ear protection when I’m shooting, and over ear electronic defenders when I’m reffing.

Hi all I am looking to buy a set of muffs that will not contact with my gun stock when I mount the shotgun, also are muffs with Gell ear cushions more  soft and comfortable.

Best regards

Bill
MSA Sordin, or SWATCOM as they now are.. the trick is to place the buttons on the same side as your stock, because there is a thinner area there. (So they are best for a left hander). 

Gel ear cups are fantastic , they seal around spectacle frames , no pressure , no detriment to the effectiveness of the cans .   Several people who have tried my Sordin Pro x with Gel cups have gone on to buy them . They are made to  Mil spec and will take an absolute soaking without failing . 

I always used muffs where the lower part of the muff was recessed to make room for the stock when the gun was mounted. Sorry I can't remember the name but I think Beretta do some.

Vic.

Second MSA Sordin Pro X, pay a bit more and be happy with your purchase

My MSA Sordin have just started to play up, after 15 years of hard use.. rough calculation is that they cost me 10p for each time I wore them, less than the price of a cartridge. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you replace like for like , or go for the digital Swatcoms Will ? 
I think Sordin are only available if you’re lucky, as old stock. I fancy some carbon fibre (effect) Swatcoms. They’re the same thing as far as I can see, possibly with the odd improvement?

i had problems with my Sordins - they kept switching off with the recoil, but i had gaffer tape covering breaks in the overhead wires due to age wear and tear but when i removed it i accidently broke the wire so i invested in a pair of the new Swatcom (carbon effect) and they are excellent and not that much more expensive than the old Sordins as they come with the gel pads as standard, highly recommend them

i had problems with my Sordins - they kept switching off with the recoil, but i had gaffer tape covering breaks in the overhead wires due to age wear and tear but when i removed it i accidently broke the wire so i invested in a pair of the new Swatcom (carbon effect) and they are excellent and not that much more expensive than the old Sordins as they come with the gel pads as standard, highly recommend them
Are they, apart from the looks, better than the sordins?

I rather suspect that Swatcom and MSA Sordin are badge engineering the same product - they are one and the same with different marketing.

I bought MSA Sordin Supreme PRO X last year with the gel ear pads - they are soft enough to seal the sound out when wearing shooting glasses, do shop around as the prices vary immensely - truly excellent muffs, built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

Purchased the same last year, MSA Sordin Supreme PRO X, as above shop around the Swatcom's are quite a bit more for what looks like cleaver marketing with a military/law inforcement connection

Apparently Swatcom have the latest generation of electronics from Sordin  . They are marketed as digital , whatever that means . The original Sordins are still great the Swatcoms will be great  .   So it’s spoilt for choice time .  If any body wants a further affirmation, two weeks ago I used my Pro X  in an underground tunnel range , and my buddy was firing .308 .  They were perfect . 

they are very similar in looks and fit and feel, i have no complaints at all with them. The electronics seem to be more responsive oh and they do come with a nice bag to store them in and an AUX lead ha ha ha

Right. Shot using the new Swatcoms today. Actually badged as EJ Churchill as that’s where I bought them. But the EJC stickers were poorly attached so I removed them. I’m the guy in the completely bare carbon Swatcoms if you’re looking for me..

Anyway, they are the same as Sordins in most respects. They felt a bit tighter on my head but that’s likely just because they aren’t 15 years old. The big difference is the electronics which provide very crisp buttons and very good sound indeed. Sounds like you’re not wearing headphones. Gun shot noise is controlled perfectly.

That’s where I have one gripe. On the lowest volume setting it’s at least as clear and loud as normal sound level, so you can’t have lower than “real” volume. I could hear my cartridges clink as they were placed in the gun and every bit of speech behind me. I had to turn them off while actually shooting. 

Best regards

Bill
Definitely upgrade to the cushions... much more comfortable , and a better seal (especially if using with glasses).

I use the fairly cheap Howard Leights electronic ones, which are greatly improved when switching out the foam cushions for aftermarket gel ones!

Back