Dragon Gun Club

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimbusgb

100 open ESP today. They usually operate first Sunday of every month.

From a few chats I had the club is full as far as membership is concerned and there is a waiting list. On an normal Sunday they give preference to members and those that are signed in by a member so just pitching up to shoot may lead to disappointment,

Glorious day for a start so it had to be at least reasonable! The club is a mile or two outside Colgate in West Sussex, 5 minutes from the M23.The club is down a good, hardtopped access path off a small lane. Car parking in a grassed field. Set along a picturesque tree lined valley with stands facing either into the trees or out onto the open field above the path over about 300 metres runNot good for people with access challenges unfortunately. There is a small prefab clubroom with catering facilities. Good sausage or bacon rolls and instant coffee on offer! 

The 100 ESP was shot over 12 stands and I saw scores from around 40 to the high 80's. Not sure what the top was for the day. I'm sure some of the top guys would put in high 90's. Some challenging clays with a wide variety of aspects and heights. 4 stands in the valley were really interesting shots, well below the feet, sliding down a bank, climbing into a tree line and high overhead. It was a little crowded at times with waits on a few stands where there might be 8 or 10 shots in front of you. Club members do the trapping and scoring and some manage to shoot a round too. Occasionally a shooter would help out with trapping to free up the scorers task a bit. All worked pretty well as far as I'm concerned overall a very good shoot! 

I'm battling gun mount problems and only carded a 46 so I took a second run at it and dragged in a 55. My day was below par but my sympathies to the chap in the car park who locked the keys into his Disco. To make matters worse he locked his gun and ammo in too so couldn't even shoot while waiting for the RAC to help out!

A 'hidden gem' of a shoot in my opinion. They are having a charity shoot later in the year and I've reserved the day in my calendar. Well worth a visit!

Could I raise the question WHY are you struggling with gun mounting problems, what is happening when you try to shoot 'gun down', is the heel of the stock (the back end) snagging your clothing or are there other problems ? Perhaps you should pre mount the gun until the issue is sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote this on another thread
"Not an easy 100 birder over 12 stands. Managed 72 which won Lady's but dropped half my misses on my last 3 stands.
Couldn't find 2nd bird stand 2, missed the rabbits on 9, no idea why and had a mare on the sim pair from a manual trap after hitting the first pair.
Cound have broken the orange blazes all day though. I'd go back but husband says he won't..."

Interesting what you say about membership. I knew there was a reason I hadn't been there recently. Looks like I'll only get to go to their open shoots - next one 17th August

What a great shoot, saying this as a new shooter it was real hard but what fun, some great targets.
There was a bit of a wait on most stands due to the hi number there, I was told around 170 turned up for this, will defiantly be there in august for the next open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back