Disappointing day

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macc Ladd

Turned up to a shoot today had to wait on 3 of the first 5/6 stands because of no scorers!!! It has happened to me once before which I put up with, but was" bloody annoyed" today I felt it was one too many and asked the owner for a refund. He did mention that I should buy my own xxxxing ground and see how tough it is" I did say that I would of made sure that I had enough buttoners / scorers in place, not a happy man

I think you need to regard yourself fortunate that clay shooting has not descended to the levels of target shooting which relies very much on unpaid volunteers to run shoots, score, act as range officers, do catering etc.  If the membership declines and grounds can no longer attract enough shooters to make money then they will close and you will need to make your own arrangements to enjoy your sport and you will need to rely on those prepared to give some of their time for free.  Suppose someone 'phoned in sick, someone got a puncture on the way to work and one just decided to stay in bed what are you going to do as the ground owner when confronted by someone like you.  I bet its not easy for them.

I think you need to regard yourself fortunate that clay shooting has not descended to the levels of target shooting which relies very much on unpaid volunteers to run shoots, score, act as range officers, do catering etc. If the membership declines and grounds can no longer attract enough shooters to make money then they will close and you will need to make your own arrangements to enjoy your sport and you will need to rely on those prepared to give some of their time for free. Suppose someone 'phoned in sick, someone got a puncture on the way to work and one just decided to stay in bed what are you going to do as the ground owner when confronted by someone like you. I bet its not easy for them.

I think you need to regard yourself fortunate that clay shooting has not descended to the levels of target shooting which relies very much on unpaid volunteers to run shoots, score, act as range officers, do catering etc.  If the membership declines and grounds can no longer attract enough shooters to make money then they will close and you will need to make your own arrangements to enjoy your sport and you will need to rely on those prepared to give some of their time for free.  Suppose someone 'phoned in sick, someone got a puncture on the way to work and one just decided to stay in bed what are you going to do as the ground owner when confronted by someone like you.  I bet its not easy for them.
so when you take your car for a service , you would be happy to get it back with only 3 wheels on ?

shooting is a service industry and it seems that any compliants at many grounds are met with this agressive and confrontational attitude towards the shooters . if that ground closed the owner only has himself to blame. poor service = disgruntled customers= no revenue.= bye bye .

Last edited by a moderator:
so when you take your car for a service , you would be happy to get it back with only 3 wheels on ?

shooting is a service industry and it seems that any compliants at many grounds are met with this agressive and confrontational attitude towards the shooters . if that ground closed the owner only has himself to blame. poor service = disgruntled customers= no revenue.= bye bye .

shooting is a service industry and it seems that any compliants at many grounds are met with this agressive and confrontational attitude towards the shooters . if that ground closed the owner only has himself to blame. poor service = disgruntled customers= no revenue.= bye bye .

Frankly I don't see the same comparison.  One is critical and the other is sport/hobby.  And I understand some of the issues.  What do you do for a job?  Employed or self employed?  Its always easy to criticise but could you do any better?

I am a butcher bought my own business 32 years ago when I was 21. I will take as many hotel and restaurant orders as I can next week and see what they say when I can't deliver. I get your point Robert , but there were more stands to shoot and it wasn't getting any better like I said hodnet next week they will show you how to run a shoot

Robert

what does it matter what my job is .? i have been involved in running a shoot at club level so do have limited understanding. shoots are run as buisnesses and provide a service . as does my local garage.or restaurant or shop or cinema or whatever other buisness i happen to patronise.  if the service at any is not satifactory should we  just accept it?  may as well throw your cash down the drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would have had a bit more patience with the ground? sh*t happens and they have to deal with it, is it a ground you use often? Does it happen often? Are you prepared to listen or just berate ?

do you want the ground to improve or are you happy to just stamp your feet and demand money back?

You may be quite right I wasn't there to give an honest opinion cos it's easier with hind sight from over here but if you don't like the set up vote with your feet!

that will be another ground gone then!

I am a butcher bought my own business 32 years ago when I was 21. I will take as many hotel and restaurant orders as I can next week and see what they say when I can't deliver. I get your point Robert , but there were more stands to shoot and it wasn't getting any better like I said hodnet next week they will show you how to run a shoot
Very good for you.  You were lucky to buy such a business at 21.  You obviously understand the service industry.  Clearly you cannot let down a regular commercial customer or you will never see them again.  

Latest posts

Back