Difficult Ejection (Non sexual complaint)!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redders

Hi Troops!

I've got a Silver Pigeon and its almost brand new (had very little use prior to me having it). I'm having a drama (occasionally) with the odd cartridge failing to be extracted/ ejected.

It only happens with cartridges that have a small or short brass (Tin) heads. Something like VIPs or Black Gold are no problem, but at least once every 25 shots of a short headed cartridge (more than one brand), the ejector stays compressed (behind the cartridge) and it looks like the head has been forced off at an angle and thus it creates a slightly bent cartridge which prevents the ejector from throwing it.

To deal with it, I have to carry a small screw driver and simply get under the lip on the cartridge head and help flip it out. Once out, everything goes well for 25 or 50 shots and then another random stoppage! Its almost like the ejector is too strong and is ripping the head off the plastic case (at least its partly pulling it off enough to cause the cartridge to get stuck).

Not too bad when I'm shooting for fun, but at a registered shoot, it is distracting in the middle of a stand!

Any ideas? Gun or Cartridge at fault?

Redders

Never had that problem are they actually stuck in there or is the ejector not going off. If the former then its cartridge i would say if the latter then poor ejector timing on beretta is common easy five minute adjust by any competent smith

If the gun's new, take it back. Before you do though, pop the ejectors out and check there's no fouling beneath them. Also, remove the ejector spring and rod and clean them off. That may just solve the problem.

Yep, I have had them out and cleaned them etc. I cant see any dramas!

The ejector remains compressed behind the cartridge, but the head is tilted at an angle, forced off by the ejector and the cartridge becomes wedged in the chamber. As soon as I manipulate the cartridge by prising it out with a screw driver, the ejector immediately ejects the cartridge as it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's weird.

Would not expect that even from a narrow cartridge head, bent ejector maybe ?

Take it back but if it goes to gmk which it will if its still under warranty prepare for 2 - 4 week wait.

Take it to a smith or if under guarantee, speak to GMK. I had an ejector problem on my DT 10 and a Smith sorted it for me for a fiver and whilst I waited. Not worth messing with unless you are confident you know what you are doing.

MM

Yes its easy fix if you have the correct size hammer and no were and how hard to hit it :)

I would say either a slightly bent ejector or it is moving slightly in the trunnion. Take it back.

It's mainly with Gambore Velocity (I've used them for the last 12 months in a 725 and had no dramas and with Eley Firsts). VIP and Black Gold in this gun are no problem at all and eject fine.

Um, i can only think bent ejector but never heard of it before. Gonna have to go to gmk or a smith mate.

Well you would think so as i say i have never had it and i have had about 12 beretta over the years. Just to clarify is it one specific batch of shells ? If it is then maybe its a bad batch, it does happen.

I will look at the Gun with a Smith/ GMK and I have e-mailed both Gamebore and Eley to see if they have heard of it before.

It could be the batch with the infrequency of the occurrence.

Read your first post again and you say various brands do it so Cant be a bad batch and if it was i doubt they would admit it. My guess is faulty / misshapen ejector.

:fie:  The only times that I have seen this happen was with paper cases (swollen) and once with a Miroku which had very rusty chambers but neither

is the case here.

had this with my gun using eley firsts, on closing the gun (2nd time) the case would then eject. Once the gun had had a few down the barrel it loosened up and was fine. I also switched to higher heads as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's ejector timing mate very common as said above. Sometimes they wear in sometimes they need adjusting but that doesn't sound like the op problem.

Latest posts

Back