Diet / nutrition advice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I refer patients to Exercise referral schemes (paid for by the NHS), where they are guided (by a personal trainer\gyminstructor) through a 12 week exercise programme (for a nominal amount of money) so they can be shown how to use the gym equipment, have a tailored programme for them to help them reach their goals and to provide them with good habits for the future..... so you are wrong that the NHS does not help weight loss.
I didn't say the NHS does not help weight loss. They do their best, but the referral scheme falls apart because virtually no one gets past the 1st couple of sessions simply because most of the referrals are for people already so overweight that any kind of exercise becomes a huge test of willpower.

Ask anyone who works for or regularly visits the gym.

Exercise has many benefits but on it's own will not bring about significant weight loss. People have to reduce carbs and fats to lose weight. I agree that everyone, whatever their size, shape or age should exercise, for a start it's about the only thing that materially helps to avoid or even reverse osteoporosis, particularly for post menopausal women.

For healthy and sustained weight loss, exercise (and good nutrition) is essential........ but hey, you don't have to believe me, what do I know?....
I guess that's  the "Cadbury" diet out of the window then  !

Last edited by a moderator:
but I totally disagree with the NHS that it helps weight loss.
think ya did....

Think you need to re-read my comment. I didn't state that exercise alone will bring about significant weight loss. I said that along with nurtrition, exercise is essential in sustaining a healthy weight\weight loss.

I don't need to ask anyone in these gyms as I regularly attend the gym sessions with my patients and can see the benefits for myself...... It won't work for everyone but then not everyone has the willpower or determination to help themselves. If they are not willing to attend the gym\exercise a few times a week, then they sure as hell won't alter their diet (for any length of time)....

anyway, we clearly disagree so I will leave this link for people to have a look at..... https://familydoctor.org/nutrition-weight-loss-need-know-fad-diets/

weight loss isn't rocket science for most overweight people (some medical conditions excepted). Eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise. The hardest bit for most is the willpower to change their lifestyle to include both of these elements....

Well i bought myself a fitness tracker because i was interested trying to understand a bit more about it i am fairly well motivated and go to the gym 5 out of 7 days most of the time 40 minutes of cardio and 20 mins of other bits plus i walk the dog for 30 minutes a day.

Through the app i can monitor what i eat,steps,workouts and so forth...the really interesting bit for me is it monitors your sleep something i wanted to try and improve getting more deep and REM sleep.

I am about 5 stone overweight but the doc always looks disappointed when he takes my blood pressure and finds of a very healthy person had my cholesterol and some other tests last year all fine and now i find my resting pulse rate is usually high 40,s to mid 50's apparently that of an athlete!

So apart from the extra stress on my joints what is the problem with me being overweight?

Well i bought myself a fitness tracker because i was interested trying to understand a bit more about it i am fairly well motivated and go to the gym 5 out of 7 days most of the time 40 minutes of cardio and 20 mins of other bits plus i walk the dog for 30 minutes a day.

Through the app i can monitor what i eat,steps,workouts and so forth...the really interesting bit for me is it monitors your sleep something i wanted to try and improve getting more deep and REM sleep.

I am about 5 stone overweight but the doc always looks disappointed when he takes my blood pressure and finds of a very healthy person had my cholesterol and some other tests last year all fine and now i find my resting pulse rate is usually high 40,s to mid 50's apparently that of an athlete!

So apart from the extra stress on my joints what is the problem with me being overweight?
here is an interesting study....https://www.nhs.uk/news/obesity/can-you-really-be-both-fat-and-fit/

https://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/09September/Pages/New-insight-into-how-excess-belly-fat-may-increase-cancer-risk.aspx and another...

So, I started a fairly strict diet a week ago, under 1000 calories a day. Last Sunday at Weston I got colder than I should have and wasn’t quite at my best. Today at Owls Lodge STR, I was way off it, feeling a bit confused, cold and not moving nicely. Even the drive home wasn’t easy as I felt almost dream-like.

I obviously need to be putting more in me before I shoot, I know that now. I just wondered if anybody on here actually KNOWS the key pointers for how I should go on. I usually stuff the full English down, so I need the substitute for critical nutrition without the huge calories. I’m not sure if it’s sugar, general calories or some other thing that is the holy grail. 

Or do I just to stay overweight to shoot at my best? ?
To be honest Will less than 1000 cals per day is almost starvation level . Depriving your brain of the levels of nutrition it needs to function at its best is a bad idea. I know it is easy to say but the secret to losing weight while still remaining in a good mental state is to burn the cals up with exercise not to starve yourself. I would say that you need professional advice from a nutritionist who can understand what you are trying to achieve and take it from there, I honestly don't think asking a few well meaning shooting friends is going to work... unless of course they fit the description :lol:

To be honest Will less than 1000 cals per day is almost starvation level . Depriving your brain of the levels of nutrition it needs to function at its best is a bad idea. I know it is easy to say but the secret to losing weight while still remaining in a good mental state is to burn the cals up with exercise not to starve yourself. I would say that you need professional advice from a nutritionist who can understand what you are trying to achieve and take it from there, I honestly don't think asking a few well meaning shooting friends is going to work... unless of course they fit the description :lol:
I think everybody has enthusiastically gone into full on mode for me. ? The original question was what to do just before shooting if I do have a very low cal session going on. The 1000 cal thing is a kick start, which I need mentally to drag myself away from food. It has worked. I’m eating a bit more at weekends and once I’ve canned the first stone (nearly done) I will get into a more stable pattern. I do know the answer is 2000 calories EVERY day for life, not 3-4000 for years then starve for a week. I also know that exercise is great in many ways, from physical to mental, but less food shoved in the face is the best way to reverse the calories in / calories burned ratio at first.

Thanks all for caring!

I think everybody has enthusiastically gone into full on mode for me.
To be honest Will I never read any of the replies I only read your OP and when I read less than 1000cals I just thought no! I would not lecture anybody about their own health and nutrition to be honest because my own eating habits are not text book :lol:   That is not to say I do not eat healthy  foods... exactly the opposite is true. My problem is the way I time my eating. I seldom eat very much between 8pm and 4pm so although I eat healthy food I tend to only really eat once per day with perhaps a small sandwich at mid afternoon although I will eat an apple and drink lots of tea! Also I like a sherbet so I have to watch that too :lol:   I am over weight but I don't think obese being 177cm and ~ 88kg . To be honest with you some of the fittest people  can be over weight just going on height and weight  but they are seldom obese and that , I think, is key to being healthy. Just to finish, and exonerate my own weight issues, if you can go to the quack and have a stringent health check and walk out having passed... your weight is largely irrelevant .

To be honest Will I never read any of the replies I only read your OP and when I read less than 1000cals I just thought no! I would not lecture anybody about their own health and nutrition to be honest because my own eating habits are not text book :lol:   That is not to say I do not eat healthy  foods... exactly the opposite is true. My problem is the way I time my eating. I seldom eat very much between 8pm and 4pm so although I eat healthy food I tend to only really eat once per day with perhaps a small sandwich at mid afternoon although I will eat an apple and drink lots of tea! Also I like a sherbet so I have to watch that too :lol:   I am over weight but I don't think obese being 177cm and ~ 88kg . To be honest with you some of the fittest people  can be over weight just going on height and weight  but they are seldom obese and that , I think, is key to being healthy. Just to finish, and exonerate my own weight issues, if you can go to the quack and have a stringent health check and walk out having passed... your weight is largely irrelevant .
I did have a full check about 5 years ago and nothing bad found. I’m overweight for sure, but am not the worst out of breath person when we’ve walked a hill at a shoot. Anyway, I want to lose some, and I know it’s wise. I admit I am one of those people who are compelled to eat (unlike annoying slim people who just see food as fairly pleasant stuff, but basically fuel, lucky bastards). The hardest thing for me is to eat at the 2000 calorie level as I don’t have the “just be sensible” power. I need the mental position of restraint to cut down. It’s like beer. I’m happy to have none, or loads. I have no idea how anybody can drink two pints. I think we are born with certain character traits in this respect. 

A while back, that condescending Katie Hopkins put on a load of weight, then lost it, just to prove to fat people that it is possible to. What a stupid thing. She entirely missed the point that some of us spend about 90% of our waking time thinking about food, due to a quirk of our dna, not by decision. If I ate what I actually wanted, I would make GD look like a Jewish pork sausage. 

Might be worth trying the "5 and 2" diet, worked for me and l lost weight easily. For 5 days eat normally and for 2 days (not consecutively) eat only 600 calories. You choose which days to eat 600 calories only but not shooting days, job done!

Might be worth trying the "5 and 2" diet, worked for me and l lost weight easily. For 5 days eat normally and for 2 days (not consecutively) eat only 600 calories. You choose which days to eat 600 calories only but not shooting days, job done!
Yes I did try it a year or two ago. Not for me.. but my mate loved it. 

Latest posts

Back