Contact Lenses & Shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my mates shoots with just one contact lens in his right eye, which works brilliantly for him.

I tried it and it made me feel quesy and sick, even walking felt very strange.

Ken,

Since I have been using monovision lenses for a few years now I hope it wont effect me like that.

I once tried bifocal glasses and scared myself witless trying to walk down stairs for the 1st time, never ever again..

One of my mates shoots with just one contact lens in his right eye, which works brilliantly for him.

I tried it and it made me feel quesy and sick, even walking felt very strange.
Ken I tend to get like that after too long a spell of DTL (Down The Local). The wife says it's too much pies and beer, but now I'm convinced she is putting a contact lense in my eye when I'm not looking! :.:

Right then people;

Contacted Ed Lyons, (sports vision expert and all round nice guy) as I have been considering contact lenses for shooting and I have slight astigmatism.

I thought it might be useful for other to see it and I have also added some pics too.

Here goes:

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the email!

I havent got enough posts yet to reply in pm - this might be an interesting thread for others to see if you fancy putting it up.

Contacts would be a great option - they give a wide field of vision, are inexpensive to replace, don't steam up or suffer from the wobbly distortions some cheap prescription shooting specs can have.

However, when astigmatism is involved, we need to know whether the astigmatism is in the LENS inside the eye, in the CORNEA on the front surface of the eye, or a combination of the two.

astigmatism-correction.jpg

If your prescription is pretty small, I would heartily recommend 1 day Acuvue Moist for Astigmatism (for a testimonial, ask [username removed]!) as this is a comfy lens that stabilises nicely.

AcuMAstig.jpg

Some lenses can rotate too much and cause blurred vision when the head is on the stock but the Acuvue lens tends to sit well.

I have recently fitted a lens from the States called Duette Hybrid (sounds like a ladies sanitary product I know!!) in a case where normal lenses span around too much with great results.

DuetteCalloutsDiagram.jpg

There are others, but the Acuvue lens would be my first suggestion and well within the fitting competence of a good traditional practice like Duff's seem to be.

Let me know how you get on!

Best wishes,

Ed Lyons

Flint and Partners Optometrists

Sportsvision Practice of the Year

So yeah, just FYI. This Duette Lens sounds like a plan.

What do they run at Nicky, roughly? I know they suggest changing them annually ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update on above

Had received a call today saying that 2 lots of lenses are ready for me to trial.

1 is just a lens for my right eye

1 set are mono vision but with right eye trying to do distance

Will have to see what happens when I shot next

Just an update on above

Had received a call today saying that 2 lots of lenses are ready for me to trial.

1 is just a lens for my right eye

1 set are mono vision but with right eye trying to do distance

Will have to see what happens when I shot next
Enjoy ;-)

Latest posts

Back