Caterham 100 ESP Reg 1/1/12

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

First shoot of 2012 and the second savage set up I've encountered here in recent weeks. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif I described the last one as massively overcooked and this was little different unfortunately. I met Fuzrat, his partner and Jonskeet for a ShootClay get together and apart from the excellent company the day proved less than ideal.  Unfortunately as with Horne this shoot appears to be falling into the same old trap/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif, of treading a well worn path of chucking samey birds often off the same stand and their idea of making things testing is distance and edge on presentations. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif We had already had a going away pair close together from the front in a previous shoot but that didn't stop them from doing the same again/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif, personally I do not think such pairs belong on a registered shoot, I mean they weren't even good when Kajagoogoo was in the charts /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif.  Then we had this utterly silly report single teal starting at 50 yards with a break point at approx 80 and you guessed it, nobody could hit it. It wasn't testing, clever or exciting, just a waste of shells. Our squad had two blanks, a single hit and I managed 3x8/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif. I spoke to Kevin Howland at this shoot and he told me he had shot a 3x8 on his reg round and a 1x8 on his re-entry. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif Stand 1 by the valley was another silly set up, a pair (recurring theme of the day by the way) starting 80 yards in front right and curling in towards the stand, the only trouble being that one was being shot at 65 yards, the other at a mere 40 whilst almost touching the ground, again not clever at all but merely using distance and edge on targets to nick birds off you by force. Jon and Fuzrat managed a single bird each and I broke 5x8 out of anger more than anything.  If you have shooters blanking stand after stand then I'm afraid it looks like you've lost the plot. The trouble I think is that they have a lot of space on the long lane towards the end and they can't stop themselves from using it all! They had the same curling pair of high crossers on another stand that they seem to always have/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif. It's almost as if they are reluctant to bring the traps closer in as that would mean stopping things in order to fill them, whereas they can be filled beyond the trees where they are presently??!!  Don't misunderstand me, many of the stands were very very good, testing but fair, such as the 45 yard rabbit/looper but it's the use of distance and edge ons that spoils it. One man had admittedly shot a mental 92 but then again somebody always shoots out of their skin out of a big car park full. C. Childerhouse and another AAA were joint 2nd on 86 as we left, I shot rather well for a 79 but will have to shoot one more time here to decide wether it's worth a 3 hour return drive in future. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying to both the Caterham reviews here.. Well shot Hamid. Thats the score I feel I should have got. I `had a mental` with the sim driven on the far stand and thought they would be better as crossers, only for the cage bar to catch me out. Dropped four, when driven are easy for me usually! Then over-lead three of the crossers that were on with the mini. Twit. I was `beaten` by Newbold and Westfield in recent weeks, but came away in admiration of the course each time. Today was a less satisfying feel for sure; with a mix of easy stands and vicious ones. Give me mainly `firm but fair` all the way round in preference.. Cheers,CSC3

Firm but fair will always have them coming back I too feel. Jon shot well I thought for the most part, he made the rabbit / looper look easy for instance but it was because he knew they could be hit I think.

Well, rabbits I couldn't hit for toffee until a couple of weeks ago so was glad to nail them all, the first looper was missed purely because I cocked my hold point up but corrected it and mullered the next 3. The Teals were extracting the urine and with 3/8 and 8's they were always going to be luck strikes, overall I'm really happy with how I shot today, reckon I left maybe 3 or 4 birds out there but overall had a lot going on in my head but we learn by doing ;)  I may go back in the spring when the ground is dry so it's not so slippy underfoot, the burger van having disappeared by the time we got back was also slightly annoying as I had promised myself a sandwich for a 40, basic burger for 45 and anything on the menu for 50+ Just happy to achieve my first 2012 target of hitting 50 reg birds, bar now raised to 55 but as Fuzrat said with a 0 and a 1 on my card I feel it's a good result. Well shot everyone :)  Jon.

Was just analysing my round and making some notes for my next lesson and taking out the 2 ridiculous stands I shot 72%, Yours was 59% Jon. Bloody big improvement /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif  I did notice you taking more time to set your hold points and looked down a couple of times to sort your feet out, Its working fella /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

really enjoyed the shoot at caterham, first time there as Im planning on doing nearly all registered this year. I thought the targets were pretty good even if there was a few too many driven for my liking, thats because im complete rubbish at driven/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif my performance was poor and the last three shoots I havent broken 60/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gifso something not quite right with pre planning the shot, in fact when i really try to have a gunhold pick up point etc my scores arent bad, also i have a terrrible habbit of being on them then checking the lead and missing them, so i end up dropping three or four when i had been hitting the first fewbut the shoot was good and the sort of targets I need to be shooting, i liked the teal stand and the rabbit stand ,even the one in the carpark. the only stand that I thought was poor was the following pair of incomers overall a good mornings shooting in good company

Well, The results of this shoot are finally on the CPSA website, guessing they sent them by carrier snail to Bisley. 70 won C and for the first time I scrolled to the bottom of the page to find my score but wasn't last, even had to scroll up . I was about 1012 from the bottom and just a few more clays would have rapidly pushed me up the table. Another target met: Not being last, even beat a B class shooter :)  Still not heading back in a hurry as I don't do mud .. Jon.

I stupidly chased the cpsa, hoping that they would confirm that the scores were lost forever (as happened once before with Caterham). Unfortunately they chased them up and so most shooters there will `enjoy` their scores being graded..They need to change from away from 4 stands that are too easy and three that are too tough..CSC3 

Back