Cartridge head depth/material

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimowl

Can anyone advise on what, if any, difference this makes?

I see 8mm, 12mm, 16mm. Most are brass, some are silver in colour? There seems to be a clear match by price - more expensive = deeper depth head.

Why?

I believe.. That in the old days when paper was the cartridge wall material, (as opposed to plastic today) that bigger loads required the metal to be higher to contain the stronger propellant loads. So, cheaper / weaker loads only needed lower 'brass' to cope. Nowadays it's all nonsense, but they put taller 'brass' to make them look good. So, an old set of logic has turned into a modern set of marketing etiquette.

Edit. I seem to recall reading somewhere once that the propellant years ago was harsh and more damaging to cases than the stuff we use today also..

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

Agree with clever it makes no difference today.

It has become the done thing to differentiate quality loads from budget by deep brass.

Funny innit that we fall for this stuff. Top one Fiocchi seem just as good to me as the black BUT i am swayed towards black as they MUST be better cos they cost more and look nicer. Weird.

I agree with that, with the caveat that black ones are also quite good and green ones used to be but aren't anymore.

What are your thoughts on head colour, brass better or worse than silver colour ?

Brass is best silver is a bit too flash. As my grandmother used to say " all fur coat and no knickers"

Fare comment and probably true silver users are probably insecure deep down.

I think the colour makes more difference than the height. Blue ones are the best and red ones the worst.
I'm assuming that is tongue in cheek but it's actually what I'm finding with the mirage, get on well with the blue 8s & 9s but just don't like the red 7.5s, they seem to kick and recoil harder, probably all in my head though.

I'm assuming that is tongue in cheek but it's actually what I'm finding with the mirage, get on well with the blue 8s & 9s but just don't like the red 7.5s, they seem to kick and recoil harder, probably all in my head though.
It's not in your head, Clever T1's (red) are £166/k and T2's (blue) are £188/k...the £22/k price difference is the more expencive, smoother burning powder and very slightly more expencive hull that is used in the T2. T1's are still less 'thumpy' than Eley Superbs or F/Blacks ect (to my shoulder/with my gun) :)

It is generally the case that cheaper cartridges use cheaper propellant that burns with a fast "crack" feel. More classy versions will "burn" and the recoil sensation is smoother. Less peak pressure, but for longer. If you shoot high quality cartridges at dusk, you can often see sparks from the muzzle due to the longer burning process.

It's not in your head, Clever T1's (red) are £166/k and T2's (blue) are £188/k...the £22/k price difference is the more expencive, smoother burning powder and very slightly more expencive hull that is used in the T2. T1's are still less 'thumpy' than Eley Superbs or F/Blacks ect (to my shoulder/with my gun) :)
Offt £188 ! I am doing well down here just had a thousand Clever T2 delivered to my door for £163 all up !

Offt £188 ! I am doing well down here just had a thousand Clever T2 delivered to my door for £163 all up !
£188 is for 28g, 24g are £180

You don't pay UK VAT & tax...

Unfortunately I have to pay VAT just as you do James it is a bit less though at £26.50 or about 17%   :(   They charge the same for the 24 and 28g here still £163.50 delivered is a bargain it seems fortunately I can change my sterling to Euros through my offshore account without charges so that helps me with money changes. Full price list for Clever cartridges in link below how do the compare over the range ?

www.meyson.fr/cartouches-de-tir-grosse-quantite,fr,3,218.cfm

Thanks, glad I haven't just been imagining it. Really not keen on the reds, I'll slowly use up the 300 I have over the next couple of months. Any carts similar to the T2 blues I could maybe look at? For now I can't justify a top cart but I'm trying to get out on a clay ground 3 times a week so want something a wee bit less brutal on the shoulder.

Thanks, glad I haven't just been imagining it. Really not keen on the reds, I'll slowly use up the 300 I have over the next couple of months. Any carts similar to the T2 blues I could maybe look at? For now I can't justify a top cart but I'm trying to get out on a clay ground 3 times a week so want something a wee bit less brutal on the shoulder.
can you get express power blue? Pretty smooth shooting.

can you get express power blue? Pretty smooth shooting.
Think they had some slabs at Auldgirth yesterday, Esk shooting school may stock them I'll have a hunt around. I'm really just finding my feet and getting to know people and places, had a good chance to get to know Auldgirth ground yesterday (Sat/Sun & Wed evenings), been to Westlands a couple of times (every day except Wed/Thur). Plan to go back to Forest Estate again now I have a better idea what I'm doing, think this will be where I start competing as I quite like the idea of 50 sporting and 25 sportrap (whatever that is). 

Bryn,have you got a decent butt pad on your gun? Makes a big difference to the standard hard plastic one on a B525..

Latest posts

Back