Can trap shooting be done without the need to be a robot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed he did. Proof that it doesn't always work when you fight your natural ability.

Paul isn't able to rotate from the ankles as in many styles but has tremendous strength in the shoulders. It's understandable if he uses the last part of his gunmount to achieve the first part of the swing.

Paul isn't able to rotate from the ankles as in many styles but has tremendous strength in the shoulders. It's understandable if he uses the last part of his gunmount to achieve the first part of the swing.
Here lies the answer, you are pushing the gun rather than body movement, you will need to move from waist etc, instead, as pushing will not help your scores

Peter Croft used to, probably still does but he moved onto ZZ, shoot that way. He tried to get me shooting like that but it didn't fit my style. I am a robotic type but my reaction time can be a little TOO good and end up being no where near with the first shot and turning it into a ball of dust with the second. I had a tendency to take my second shot when the majority would take their first, I am slowing down...a bit. 

Indeed he did. Proof that it doesn't always work when you fight your natural ability.
And there is always the converse of that - fighting a natural ability just to be different.

I suspect that the robot school prevails because it is simply better, with a few exceptions that almost make the grade.  A 1% inconsistency can easily be the difference between winning and losing.  

You decide.

Exactly Charlie which is why I stated earlier that this style will not enjoy the same level of consistency. The problem is that some of us have to accept that text book does not work for us.

Having been made aware of your situation, I would be tempted to look at the way Alipov shoots, mount, drop below mark and slowly start moving and call whilst on the move, coming vertical to the mark whilst watching target, then accelerate the movement into the target, it works and could possibly be a good solution for you. You just need good control not to snap at it too soon,  you need to watch him very closely to see the movement.

worth a shot..

If you have a tendency to be in front of the target could also experiment with a higher hold, cuts down some gun speed/movement.

Gun up above the mark, different at different grounds, with eyes up above the gun works for me. It stops me from jumping at the initial flash of the target and coincidentally watching a lot of the top shots the majority of them hold above the mark. 

Having been made aware of your situation, I would be tempted to look at the way Alipov shoots, mount, drop below mark and slowly start moving and call whilst on the move, coming vertical to the mark whilst watching target, then accelerate the movement into the target, it works and could possibly be a good solution for you. You just need good control not to snap at it too soon,  you need to watch him very closely to see the movement.

worth a shot..
Alipov's dad was curiously worth watching, won the European OT in '78. He would mount the gun half way to the trap house, swing up and call as he passed the lip, swerving right or left as required. I saw him again in Cyprus seven years ago. Still doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used this to good effect at DTL & ABT for many years even got in shoot off for "A" class at English open in 1999 (lost by a barrel) so many "side line coaches" told me it was wrong and had to be because no one else did it that I ditched it for a more refined approach. Its arguable as too if it has been beneficial ?

just had a look at Fernandez and Alapov on you tube and Fernandez is very close to how I naturaly want to shoot,ill give the higher gun hold a try aswell as getting my mount smother in the morning.

I did notice Fernandez shoots a lot different from 2010 to 20014 I suppose he has coaches saying his world winning style of 2010 aint no good because everyone else isn't doing it.

Exactly Paul one assumes a coach told the world cup winning fernandez to slow down as it's not right what your doing and you might get am extra target. Look what happened. I rest my case, sometimes fighting ones natural style is not possible and therefore not advisable.

Bloody great to watch isn't he a sort of shooting version of Ron O sullivan.

just had a look at Fernandez and Alapov on you tube and Fernandez is very close to how I naturaly want to shoot,ill give the higher gun hold a try aswell as getting my mount smother in the morning.
I did notice Fernandez shoots a lot different from 2010 to 20014 I suppose he has coaches saying his world winning style of 2010 aint no good because everyone else isn't doing it.
Paul, what did you search YouTube for to find this? Or can you put a link up?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Phil

Search for

Issf Sports Hub. All world cup finals are on there

25-3-2011

Is the ot final date you want to watch phil. Fernandez at his best

Latest posts

Back