British Grand Prix Compak

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a really good time at Barbury on Sunday. Only my second time at Compak and we did really enjoy it. 

Lovely shooting ground and friendly staff, plus the good weather was a real bonus.

Have to say though that I personally was not a big fan of the straight walk through. I thought 20 minutes was too tight and that 30 minute intervals would have been more user friendly on a walk through. 

For somebody like me that can't walk that quickly, I arrived at both the second layout (Porsche) and the fourth layout (WRG) as the previous squad finished, meaning that on both those layouts I had to shoot it completely blind with absolutely no idea of target presentation as the refs were not prepared to show them even in those circumstances. I appreciate that a shoot can't be organised just to suit me, but I must say I did feel that was a bit unfair and definitely a disadvantage. It was an expensive shoot (£146 entry for the two of us) which is not in itself being argued about - you pays your money etc - but for that level of cost you at least expect to fairly see in advance the targets that you need to shoot at.

Nevertheless, not wanting to be a miserable git, we carried on in good spirits and thoroughly enjoyed our day.

Started at the ICI layout with a reasonable 19, then on to Porsche with a blind and disappointing 18, followed by a very pleasing 23 at the Barbury layout. Across the car park to  the WRG layout for a blind but still acceptable 20 under the circumstances, and finally to the Hull layout to finish on a 21  =  101 total. Definitely a few surprises having not seen targets and a few I really should have hit in addition to that. My biggest problem is lack of concentration, so must work on that.

Also nice to meet up with a few from the forum . . . . . . Cheerful Chappie Chubby was there, Gnasher (on our squad) plus Calamity, Springer, Phil Coley, DoubleBarrelledDon, Jaykaysea. Sure there was more but didn't work out who was who !

post-333-0-27975400-1404118142.jpg

post-333-0-82582700-1404118161.jpg

post-333-0-85425900-1404118178.jpg

post-333-0-50643900-1404118196.jpg

post-333-0-09499800-1404118313.jpg

Attachments

• calamity1.jpg
    calamity1.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 0
  • calamity2.jpg
    calamity2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 0
  • icilayout.jpg
    icilayout.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 0
  • springer.jpg
    springer.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • GGirl+Gnasher.jpg
    GGirl+Gnasher.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
How on earth did I end up in VET class??  Does anyone know the age limits?

I'm still a boy at heart...

Know what you mean Tony . . . . . . I'm only a couple away from SuperVets, but inside my head and my underwear I still think I'm 18 . . . . . . . . . . . . if only   :nyam:

I enjoyed this shoot very much. Barbary is a lovely ground, very welcoming and friendly, loads of traps and layouts so lots of variety.
On looking at the scores it might be considered a bit soft. It didn't feel soft when I was shooting it! I felt I had to work hard to concentrate and felt I was hitting some tricky targets. I had a nightmare on the 2nd layout and I've no idea why. Nobody else seemed to struggle there. Only the orange bird looked difficult and I only dropped one of them. The sim pairs on the 3rd layout were reasonably obvious which way round to shoot them. Only the F/A combination, 2nd peg could have been opted for either way. Anyway I found it fun and was pleased with 4 of my layout scores.

It does appear however there are grumblings about the payout. Maybe very few people opted to shoot competition - it was an extra £10. I always enter competition on principal but it appears nobody other than me and Cheryl did in the ladies as she only got paid out £20 for winning. Doesn't seem much considering the entry fee overall...

If there's going to be sympathy, I'd rather have it from a ref!

Agree with Jem, B class ESP shooters aren't going to challenge the likes of Winser and Solomons, so save your tenner.  I will always shoot comp in everything that's classed, but not going to throw my money at the big boys!

Agree with Gnasher though, lovely place, very friendly.  My first time there and I'll definitely be back.

It would be nice for people to not bully the refs into starting early though!  Missed seeing the targets on one complete layout as the preceding squad had finished by the time we got there.  Only shot a 20 on that one...and I'll use that as an excuse, please!  :crazy:

When I booked in I had no idea that it didn't have classes - I always shoot in ladies anyway.
Another argument for no birds only? If everyone had put £2 into the prize fund they would have had a decent payout.
As it was winnings didn't come close to covering the entry fee

Major Fitasc discipline events like a British should not have a birds only option, there is no birds only in the Fitasc rules or in the international competition calendar.

Birds only is a Cpsa thing....and does not build mentally strong competition shots.....IMHO.

The are plenty of registered competitions for people to play 'birds only'.....but at a major......it is a major ....and if people do not like the rules then don't go.

(I for one am sick of Fitasc discipline rules being bastardised for the sake of the UK shooters version of what the sport should be.)

(and...in relation to a comment I read on another thread....moaning shooters exists in all classes not just the AA etc.....there are plenty in the lower classes too....mostly through not knowing rules ...or wanting rules changed to suit their point in time.)

.......just saying (seeing as someone else brought it up.)

I wondered why George was going on about this and after reading all this I can now see why.

£20 for winning a British.....is a fooooooking joke.

Mind you...if BICTSF operated properly there would not have been a birds only option. Bet they still got their tax on the event :wink:

The way  I understand it we were all birds only until asked whether we wanted to fork out £10 to enter the competition which is ass about face surely.  I only realised we were B/O when asked if I wanted to go into the competition.  Sorry not worth a tenner to me in this instance although I would not have complained or questioned it had I just paid it as part of the entry fee.

That is the point. If it is being held up as a British Championship of one of the Fitasc disciplines then it should be competition entries only.....otherwise we are bastardising the rules.

Compak is a fairly new growing discipline here in the UK....so lets at least start playing it properly.

Come on BICTSF you numpties......get the fooooooking thing right for Crickey sake...!!

Nic, I think its due to the fact that all Boys are in the 'OPEN' class and not A,B,C,D  and the Girles are Girles not CD like most of them :haha: .

So what would be the point of a 'C' class shooter paying into the prize fund? Remember they are 'OPEN' not classed. same as the World and European.

And if you win a FITASC event you get Naff all but a medal.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the price you have to pay to enter these shoots i would have thought any prize money should already be accounted for, if you compare it to sportrap that is classed and pays in classes,and costs less to enter. 

Why is it that even in this fitasc discipline, which has a very close comparative it costs more to enter for the same number of targets(100), with no pay back even for the 'OPEN' winner, the winners prize pot being extra costs?

Nic, I think its due to the fact that all Boys are in the 'OPEN' class and not A,B,C,D and the Girles are Girles not CD like most of them :haha: .

So what would be the point of a 'C' class shooter paying into the prize fund? Remember they are 'OPEN' not classed. same as the World and European.

And if you win a FITASC event you get Naff all but a medal.
That is the point. No birds only at real events. It is Sh it or bust. You are either good enough to win or you try again next year. Every competition you build your skills for the next one.No one wins any major title easily....it is years of grind and perfecting your craft......in competition.

...true story..!

There are CPSA pat yourself on the back comps for a class win (which is lovely for those who are improving).

Then there are the open internationals ...balls to wall...no classes....no birds only ...top 3 winners takes all.

In my honest opinion that makes stronger shooters who are focused on the win....(mind you I went to a school that was not mambypamby and did not give prizes to everyone who crossed a sports day line)

:laugh:

4th is close.....but not close enough...!

But hey..........

Not my circus.....not my monkeys....!!

You all enjoy it in your own way campers xx

Last edited:
Nic they did like helicopter shooting give you the option of joining the pot, are all your ZZ  birds only unless you ask to go in to the pot?

And Fitasc Sporting has NO prize Money.

Nic they did like helicopter shooting give you the option of joining the pot, are all your ZZ  birds only unless you ask to go in to the pot?

And Fitasc Sporting has NO prize Money.
No our shooting was never birds only...and that is why you got some great draws...even in women's category.

But the powers that be in Paris....took the money out of the game in about 2011....and we have seen numbers drop from 600 entries when i started....to 107 entries at the recent European Championships....which is a joke..!! (Dont get me going on that European Champs......they had medals for 1,2 and 3 but only one trophy in the whole competition to the HG. First time ever that European Champions in the categories did not get a cup. So this could be my very last year playing a discipline that is now taking the piss so much....rant over).

Even in the UK now most people seem to play birds only. It needs a right good revolution to get the disciplines back to having some balls...!!

IMHO. But so few are interested....and like i said earlier......NOT my Circus.....NOT my monkeys :laugh:

I hate the way birds only has ruined the games now.......but that is only my honest opinion.

The games are changing and you decide if you want to play or not.

I am off to pastures new. :wink:

Last edited:
What does the BICTSF do with the profit from the comps, does it help fund our shooters on overseas trips?
Who knows these days where anything goes....I am out of touch.

It used to be a levy on all selection shoots that helped towards the teams expenses...plus a lot of fundraising through hard work and raffles and the like.

Profit used to go into the BICTSF account and was ring fenced for each particular discipline to use within that discipline as it saw fit for teams.

Best ask a current board member for the details of any break down and how it is used. Hope you get a sensible answer.

Congratulations on a good shoot. I heard that people enjoyed the day.

Last edited:
In this case I agree with tiptop. For me 68 quid was enough to pay.I wouldn't of payed more classes or not.

Latest posts

Back