Bore Snake

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curious2

Does anyone have experience of using one of these things. Are they effective ? I have a feeling I read somewhere they may cause wear to the bores?

Thanks

I have a new one in the box. It's yours if you see me!

Can't get my head round something that gets dirty. I would use it once then throw it in the bin.

Clever, they do work well and can be washed in the machine or by hand with detergent. They are quite effective in guns with traditional forcing cones, I used mine a few times on the 686e and Urika, but on my new 682 Gold E and Silver Pigeon they are useless. Ok to take on holiday for a few days till you get back and give them a proper rodding.

Clever, they do work well and can be washed in the machine or by hand with detergent. They are quite effective in guns with traditional forcing cones, I used mine a few times on the 686e and Urika, but on my new 682 Gold E and Silver Pigeon they are useless. Ok to take on holiday for a few days till you get back and give them a proper rodding.
 Hey Chiefy, How are they on getting rid of that plastic residue that some shells leave in the tubes? I nearly always end up having to soak the tubes in bore cleaner and then use the old payne-galway on them so as to get the plastic out.

I have one.....used it half a dozen times and noticed lead build up in the barrels. I don't use it anymore. Stick to a proper bronze,but as already said they're ok temporarily.

Hey Chiefy, How are they on getting rid of that plastic residue that some shells leave in the tubes? I nearly always end up having to soak the tubes in bore cleaner and then use the old payne-galway on them so as to get the plastic out.
Pretty much do the same, and use the cordless drill.

Fiochhi Super Sporting have not been too bad, nowused up the last of them and trying Kent Velocity. So will see what they are like. Pretty fed up not getting a good supply of what I want in 8's(Italian), the last Fiocchis has rust on the brass, some cartons were damp and needed to be dried, no more in stock so that's the reason for the try at the Kents.

Pretty sure I will be changing back to Clever Mirage, I know how good they are, can get them in all my choice of sizes and readily available at any time.

Any one know the speed of T2's and Grand Italias,?yes it makes not much of a difference once you get used to shooting them but I like to know the small details.

while on the gun cleaning subject, does anyone make this "ed's red" stuff.

a home made solvent cocktail that Americans rave about.

while on the gun cleaning subject, does anyone make this "ed's red" stuff.

a home made solvent cocktail that Americans rave about.
Maybe the American kids drink it, if so it will be on sale here soon (hic)! I'll have a large one with ice please.  :wacko:

it would explain  thing or 2.

the recipe is equal parts of Automatic transmission fluid, kerosene (paraffin), white spirits and acetone.

You can see how to make it on you tube, Brownell's sell a premade version of the same stuff.

Will be making some up if I can freeload the Auto Fluid  :nyam:

Think it will work similar to Clenzoil, only for the barrel cleaning mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've got a 12 bore with overbored barrels try a 10 bore one although you'll probably need your 3 Weetabix to pull it through as it will be tight. As others have said they're great for a quick clean after a shoot or when on holiday but they don't replace proper gun cleaning.

In my opinion a 'Boresnake' is a temporary cleaning aid .

Once soiled they are not all that good or useful, but ideal to just quickly pull through the bores before travelling home after a shoot, or for cleansing the bores in the event of a mishap.

Ed's Red is obviously a perfect cleansing aid, cheap and efficient .

But for the cost of any commercially available product why skimp?

Proper cleansing regime will keep your gun functioning and will pay you back in value at a later date.

A friend shot two weeks ago in Rain and didn't clean his gun afterwards, he now knows that Nigel Teague does a fixed choke gun. 

Paraffin available from ironmongers, garden stores, some petrol stations, B&Q, Wilko, and Stove companies, Acetone from Chemists  ( nail polish remover).

You cannot beat a decent bronze brush, stick the handle end of your cleaning rod in to a drill, multi speed electric works best. I have a gun clamp so stick the barrels in that first, 2 vigorous passes in each barrel and its spotless...

Back