Be careful how you close your 692!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Tyred

Picked up this from an American website. Apparently quite a few sporting 692 in the US have snapped in half during use as a result of the bottom tang only being connected to the top tang by a single M4 machine screw at the very back of the tang (underneath the safety). Apparently previous 680 models had a screw connection at the front of the lower tang which located into the main action. On the 692 this second (bottom) screw has been omitted in favour of a push-in lug so the whole trigger element (including the stock bolt connection) is only connected to the top tang by the single screw. Seems like a bit of cock-up to me.

Anyone know of any failures over here?

DT

692.jpg

Charlie in the pic. ?/?

he did that deliberately , the damned fool. ;)

The 682 has a single screw in the same place as well and a screw at the front of the trigger housing into the action.  The mating between the tang and the housing is quite different tho, a rather more complicated machining operation and maybe stronger.  Certainly a MFer to get apart now and then. 

https://www.brownells.com/schematics/Beretta-/682-Gold-682-Gold-Evolution-sid893.aspx

does the 692 not have the screw into the action?

the script on the pocket is Cabelas not my name if you were referring to me.  I appreciate the thot that I could snap a gun in half hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
The 682 has a single screw in the same place as well and a screw at the front of the trigger housing into the action.  The mating between the tang and the housing is quite different tho, a rather more complicated machining operation and maybe stronger.  Certainly a MFer to get apart now and then. 

https://www.brownells.com/schematics/Beretta-/682-Gold-682-Gold-Evolution-sid893.aspx

does the 692 not have the screw into the action?
Charlie

if you check out the photo above you can see the bottom tang locates into the action with a lug only, no screw. Check out the thread on TS.com where there are some more photos 

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/692-top-tang-bolts-breaking.331649/

DT

Was this model rushed into production underdeveloped or is it simply appalling quality control?

So far my wife has had an early 692 sporter with a loose forend repaired under warranty, the gun was secondhand and subsequently we were told it had already been back twice with other problems (before I presume the previous owner dumped it).it started double discharging so had to go.

It was replaced with a new skeet multichoke which after about 800 shots jammed shut with a live shell in top barrel- see other thread all remedies tried, eventually got it open but it was a two man job- went back under warranty came back "repaired", after 300 shots simply would not fire second barrel, at least top lever did not jam.

Gun replaced under warranty, good enough, by dealer but within 150 shots the ejector cam broke, replaced under warranty.

She likes the handling of the model and its weight

Her spare gun is a cheap 680 (short barrels and fixed choke) bought to use whilst the 692 was away,at least thirty years old, infinitely superior build quality, but it can be limited at sporting shoots

Her spare gun is a cheap 680 (short barrels and fixed choke) bought to use whilst the 692 was away,at least thirty years old, infinitely superior build quality, but it can be limited at sporting shoots
WHY    ?

Charlie

if you check out the photo above you can see the bottom tang locates into the action with a lug only, no screw. Check out the thread on TS.com where there are some more photos 

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/692-top-tang-bolts-breaking.331649/

DT
I have to admit that my level of GAF about Beretta overwhelms me.  It is somewhat surprising that the bean counters have even gotten to them tho.  Seems like they have maybe even gotten to Perazzi since the old man passed.  Not that I have any real knowledge of that either and likely will not.  My old ones are more than adequate for me.  I do still have the one wide body 682 and that will prolly stay but it is certainly the last Beretta I'll own unless I win the Lotto and then find an old SO3 to fondle.  The classic beer budget/campaign taste dilemma.

Hmm i have a 692 sporter and i was really happy with it.

Should i be worried? I shoot Gamebore White golds 7/28 steel loads. 

I wouldn't worry about it and if it did fail it will be a warranty job. I think its all a bit of "scare mongering"

Latest posts

Back