Autos. Love or Hate

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's throw in whether to use snap caps or not and have a real discussion !!!

Vic.
Ahhh, I remember snap caps when we wuz kids...............throw 'em at the floor and they go bang............little paper wrapped things..................... eeh t'good ol' days............... :sleep:

Is it tea time yet??

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, i remember them pal. Came in a roll to put in your cap gun or we used to put em between two bolts held together with one nut. God you have taken me down memory lane with that one. :)

Ps

Bet you cant get em now cos of health and safety.

I will ask bro in law he is a HSE explosives officer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ps

Bet you cant get em now cos of health and safety.

I will ask bro in law he is a HSE explosives officer. :)
My son recently had some snap-its, as I call them. The paper wrapped ones. I did tell him not to store 10,000 though. Because it would annoy me.

Ha, didnt think they would be allowed these days :)

Ha, i remember them pal. Came in a roll to put in your cap gun or we used to put em between two bolts held together with one nut. God you have taken me down memory lane with that one. :)
That's cos we're becoming old farts mate :hyper:

The Instruction manual for my O/U recommends dry firing using snap caps to relieve the tension on the mainsprings :biggrin:

The manual for my auto does not recommend anything at all :notfair:

This old chestnut of a subject is trawled up regularly like chokes, steel shot and snapcaps but that is a good thing because it may bring up fresh thinking on the subject.

I have used an auto for most of my many years of clay shooting,usually from choice but more recently because of a neck problem and the subject of picking up empty cases is always a hot one.

I pick up my empties when possible,subject to the type of shoot and other constraints etc.

I will worry about the ones I can't pick up when every shooter who uses an o/u or s/s picks theirs up.

Having only one barrel and choke is not a problem.I reckon you can break the close targets with a tight choke easier than you can break distant targets with an open choke so a 1/2 choke works for me.

At great expense I am about to try a Muller U2

Vic
Go for the Muller, you'll wish you did it earlier, chuffed to bits with mine.

On the auto's - I used to love my old Remi 1100 (5 shot at the time - and legal at that!), I had to let it go when the concerns over unreliability started to affect my concentration, carried a bag of bits round for years after - ejector claws, firing pin springs etc etc, I'd still have one now though, just for a bit of rough shooting, I'll stick to the clay ginder for the comps though!, cheers, growl.

Back