After market chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonz

Is there any real hard evidence that after market chokes are better than the ones supplied by the gun maker? We are constantly bombarded by advice and sales material claiming that x makes the best chokes and you must have these to ensure your scores go up but  I’ve never seen a choke company publish a choke pattern of theirs versus a gun makers choke to prove that they make a difference 

Are we just being taken for a ride or is there some other reason why you ditch the ones made by the gun maker. Always plenty for sale on fb so perhaps they don’t deliver the expected increase in scores 

its a short metal tube....how can one short metal tube be any different to another. Marketing hype imo

Change the pattern significantly? ... I doubt it BUT change the dynamic of the gun I would say most certainly depending on the design of the tube! However if it eases your mind there could be a significant effect on your scores as well... bit like cartridges in that respect. 

I think the only difference is that some ½ chokes are tighter than others.  I bought a Briley extended choke for my Franchi semi auto just to protect the finish at the end of the gun from being marked in the cabinet stored barrel down, the pattern from this was much more even than ½ choke standard franchi choke but then it’s a 500 pound tool that is made to a price point.

Generally I can’t see how someone’s super choke can be any better than an already great choke from major manufacturers, I’m also not convinced about ,the super wad stripping goose chokes, that does look like BS

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my teague chokes and now that Josh has experimented with colours, well there are endless colours you could match to what you are wearing.  :D :D

27459570_1760922254204201_8272463602037570138_n.jpg

I would choose the gold one regardless of what size choke it is and purely for the bling ? 

I would choose the gold one regardless of what size choke it is and purely for the bling ? 
How do you 'un-friend' people on here?? :smile: :smile:

I can see it now, EZE with a gold and diamond studded collar, 24 inch gold spinners on the HiLux, gun stocks being damaged due to diamond earrings ... you will end up looking like a white, tweed clad. Lewis Hamilton..

25 years ago no self respecting club shooter was seen without a Beretta Mobil Choke gun , and of course we all bought into the wad stripping ability of Rhino Ported chokes ... Roll on a few years and the club shooter would now be using Beretta  Optima chokes , and buying any manner of extended aftermarket chokes .  Strange thing is , all of this to break little compressed pitch ( or whatever it is these days ) discs .

Yet buy a new Beretta game gun , which I would argue has the more demanding job of sending wildlife  on a one way trip to the pie dish , and what do Beretta give us  ? the “old “ Mobil Choke !  

My preference these days is for guns that look like guns, no sticky on bits no sticky out bits ,  no colour anodising  etc . but each to there own and anything that sells and  helps keep gun shops open is a good thing. 

25 years ago no self respecting club shooter was seen without a Beretta Mobil Choke gun , and of course we all bought into the wad stripping ability of Rhino Ported chokes ... Roll on a few years and the club shooter would now be using Beretta  Optima chokes , and buying any manner of extended aftermarket chokes .  Strange thing is , all of this to break little compressed pitch ( or whatever it is these days ) discs .

Yet buy a new Beretta game gun , which I would argue has the more demanding job of sending wildlife  on a one way trip to the pie dish , and what do Beretta give us  ? the “old “ Mobil Choke !  

My preference these days is for guns that look like guns, no sticky on bits no sticky out bits ,  no colour anodising  etc . but each to there own and anything that sells and  helps keep gun shops open is a good thing. 
my sentiments exactly ?

i like me guns as guns should be, no adj this and that no sticky out bits etc ? that's why I am fond of my SxS

You def strike me as a bling sorta guy!  Lewis Hamilton wishes he was so cool!

As to the choke stuff.  What with the physics defying performance of the wad strippers how can anyone even have the slightest doubt that aftermarket tubes are superior beyond reckoning?  I know I'm seriously degrading my scores and suffering sub-standard breaks as a consequence of not being able to make the financial commitment to the better products.  Woe is me. 

BTW - if anyone would care to make a donation to my shooting improvement fund I can supply you with the proper paypal addy.  TIA as I really do appreciate the kindness of others and promise to use the fund only for shooting related expenses.

ha, I have been known to "bling it up" I even wear one of my pocket watches on a double albert when loading. One has to look the part old bean ? 

You know in answering the original question you have to look even deeper into shooting products right back to the gun and ask the same question. Is there any proven evidence that one gun is better than another or that one cartridge is better than another. We all know that shooter X has won medals in competition using Y brand of gun and Z  brand of cartridge ... that does not prove that gun Y or that cartridge Z are any better than any other combination ... it only shows what that shooter's preferences are and nothing else at all.

Choice of choke, gun and cartridges amongst the elite competition shooters is usually dictated by sponsorship. It would be interesting to know what they would shoot if they were using their own hard earned cash.

Choice of choke, gun and cartridges amongst the elite competition shooters is usually dictated by sponsorship. It would be interesting to know what they would shoot if they were using their own hard earned cash.
It is sometimes quoted that cheap this or that never won anything in shooting ... the only reason for that is generally exactly what you have just said. It would be silly not to recognise that some guns will be better balanced and have attributes that suit some shooters better than others... but I would be surprised if a really good shooter was to suddenly be made an offer they could not refuse to change their current gun for another that they could not adapt themselves to using the new gun.

Latest posts

Back