Advice on insurance please…

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeeJay

I appreciate that this subject comes up repeatedly, and I have read most of the posts on it, but still find myself really confused.

My background/experience is as follows: new shooter, own a gun (silver pigeon), stored at the shooting ground, I will never shoot game, only clays, and only as a pastime for now, shoot maximum once a fortnight, I can’t see myself wanting to enter a competition and if I ever did it would be only at the club. At the moment this is the only place I’ll shoot and there’s no need for me to travel with the gun.

I’ve looked at CPSA, BASC, CCC, Sports Direct, Ripe. Obviously they all cover different things at different costs. Then one of them (I think BASC) mentioned that their insurance means they deal with it, in the event of a claim, but other insurance means you have to prove that your house insurance etc doesn’t cover it before they will take it on (there’s a legal term for that which I can’t remember).

Then there’s the issue of just public liability, or add on personal accident cover and/or equipment cover.

I think it’s done my head in, trying to work out which is best. My budget isn’t the issue, I can probably afford whichever I want; however, I don’t want to spend something I really don’t need, but neither do I want to miss out on something that I do.

Could anyone give me general advice on what I need, based on my description of my shooting above. I appreciate that it’s a difficult question to answer, but I’m sure many will have gone through the same thing. Thanks for your help in advance.

This probably isn’t going to answer your question , however the difference between the CPSA , BASC , and the commercial insurers are that CPSA and BASC are in principle organisations that also represent shooters , organise competitions , offer training programmes for members , have members discount schemes , and publish members magazines that are quite informative.

The others just sell a product .

Therefore the CPSA and BASC have employees who are dedicated to the furtherance of the particular aspects of shooting that they represent . If we accept that , by supporting them we ourselves are supporting our shooting future to some extent .

I won’t go all political about whether these organisations are effective, they are what we have.
I used to belong to both , I don’t shoot registered competitions any more , but I am also a game shot , so the BASC package suits my current needs best . From your description you may be better off with a CPSA Clubman membership , you’ll get the insurance , magazine and learn what’s happening in your sport , see the opportunities and benefits that are available , you can easily upgrade , if you ever want to enter registered comps .

Last edited:
This probably isn’t going to answer your question , however the difference between the CPSA , BASC , and the commercial insurers are that CPSA and BASC are in principle organisations that also represent shooters , organise competitions , offer training programmes for members , have members discount schemes , and publish members magazines that are quite informative.

The others just sell a product .

Therefore the CPSA and BASC have employees who are dedicated to the furtherance of the particular aspects of shooting that they represent . If we accept that , by supporting them we ourselves are supporting our shooting future to some extent .

I won’t go all political about whether these organisations are effective, they are what we have.
I used to belong to both , I don’t shoot registered competitions any more , but I am also a game shot , so the BASC package suits my current needs best . From your description you may be better off with a CPSA Clubman membership , you’ll get the instance , magazine and learn what’s happening in your sport , see the opportunities and benefits that are available , you can easily upgrade , if you ever want to enter registered comps .
Thank you, some very good points there. Particularly about supporting the sport.

Latest posts

Back